Blazecut Fire Suppression System

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Ryno
IAC Contributor
IAC Contributor

Blazecut Fire Suppression System

Post by Ryno » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:02 am

This is a pretty neat, one time use fire suppression system.

http://jogrusa.com/collections/classic- ... ion-system

I was told they are selling very quickly. There's a video of the suppliers bus with the product in use at the bottom of the page. He also has some pretty cool repro parts on his page.
Ryan

1985 Westfalia

Mr Blotto
IAC Addict!

Re: Blazecut Fire Suppression System

Post by Mr Blotto » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:06 am

That is pretty neat! However I wonder how effective it would be:
-with a continual source of fuel leaking
-while the motor is running and vehicle is in motion (lots of air movement)
1978 Sage Green Westy - 2.0 FI - SOLD WITH 109887 miles :-(

Ryno
IAC Contributor
IAC Contributor

Post by Ryno » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:26 am

Couldn't answer those myself. I don't think of this as a replacement to an extinguisher, but rather a supplement.

On the flip side, routine inspections eliminate much of the fire risk anyhow. :sunny:
Ryan

1985 Westfalia

WaterDawg
Getting Hooked!

Post by WaterDawg » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:14 pm

I like the idea, but as was mentioned, the fire will have continuous fuel supplied to a still hot engine.
Might work great for an electrical fire.

I do plan on using what we use on boats.
http://www.sea-fire.com/SF/Contact/Company.html

You could also add a Gas Fume detector: http://shopping.rexmar.com/Merchant2/me ... ireboyfume
Larry Jensen
Follow me at
http://www.WonderofWander.com

dingcooled
I'm New!

Hi everyone,

Post by dingcooled » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:20 pm

I just want to share with you this website http://www.thegreenbook.com/products/fire-alarm/ it will really help you wherever you are. A fire alarm system is a set of electric/electronic devices/equipment working together to detect and alert people through visual and audio appliances when smoke/fire is present. These alarms may be activated from smoke detectors, heat detectors, water flow sensors, which are automatic or from a manual fire alarm pull station.

JLT
Old School!

Post by JLT » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:35 pm

Yeah, I know it's an old thread, but ...

Has anybody had any real-world experience with how this set-up works? It's been on the market for a long time, and I would imagine that somebody, somewhere has had an engine fire with the Blazecut system installed. How did it work? What were the circumstances? What was the damage?

Inquiring minds want to know, particularly if they are ready to plunk down $130 or so to buy it.
-- JLT
Sacramento CA

Present bus: '71 Dormobile Westie "George"
(sometimes towing a '65 Allstate single-wheel trailer)
Former buses: '61 17-window Deluxe "Pink Bus"
'70 Frankenwestie "Blunder Bus"
'71 Frankenwestie "Thunder Bus"

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:36 am

JLT wrote:Yeah, I know it's an old thread, but ...

Has anybody had any real-world experience with how this set-up works? It's been on the market for a long time, and I would imagine that somebody, somewhere has had an engine fire with the Blazecut system installed. How did it work? What were the circumstances? What was the damage?

Inquiring minds want to know, particularly if they are ready to plunk down $130 or so to buy it.
Just replace the fuel hoses, check carb and pump screws and make sure the ignition wires are secured exactly as the factory intended.
Good grief.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

JLT
Old School!

Post by JLT » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:16 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Just replace the fuel hoses, check carb and pump screws and make sure the ignition wires are secured exactly as the factory intended.
Good grief.
Colin
I do that. But things that are secured sometimes come un-secured, despite our best intentions. AFAIK, we don't really know enough about engine fires ... how many of them were due to faulty fuel lines, how many from carb-fuel line connection failure, etc. All we can do is say "Well, it was probably this, or probably that..." It occurs to me that with a fire-suppression system, we could actually find out what went wrong before the whole engine or car is trashed beyond the point where we get any decent information. Just thinkin'...
-- JLT
Sacramento CA

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:23 pm

JLT wrote: Has anybody had any real-world experience with how this set-up works? It's been on the market for a long time, and I would imagine that somebody, somewhere has had an engine fire with the Blazecut system installed. How did it work? What were the circumstances? What was the damage?

There was a thread on TheSamba on the BlazeCut not long ago where someone did report that it had worked for them when one of his two carbs started puking fuel. Might have been in the Vanagon forum. Can't recall exactly.
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

chachi
Old School!

Post by chachi » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:06 pm

for a little more than $100, why not??
1974 transporter panel, 2.0 dual solex
1991 vanagon NAHT, RJE 2.3

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:57 pm

JLT wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:
Good grief.
Colin
I do that. But things that are secured sometimes come un-secured, despite our best intentions. AFAIK, we don't really know enough about engine fires ... how many of them were due to faulty fuel lines, how many from carb-fuel line connection failure, etc. All we can do is say "Well, it was probably this, or probably that..." It occurs to me that with a fire-suppression system, we could actually find out what went wrong before the whole engine or car is trashed beyond the point where we get any decent information. Just thinkin'...
Hello JLT,
I agree that valuable forensic information MAY be saved by such a system, but wild speculations seem to be the current rage.

Some day, my attitude is going to come back and bite me, and there will be celebrations in the streets, people waving and cheering as my VW goes up in flames, "ha ha HAA, got what he had comin'! Burn, baby, burn. Ha ha, HEY, Flambe a la'Naranja HAHAHAAAAA"

I better go check my fuel filter again.
Colin :blackeye:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

wcfvw69
Old School!

Post by wcfvw69 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:06 pm

SlowLane wrote:
JLT wrote: Has anybody had any real-world experience with how this set-up works? It's been on the market for a long time, and I would imagine that somebody, somewhere has had an engine fire with the Blazecut system installed. How did it work? What were the circumstances? What was the damage?

There was a thread on TheSamba on the BlazeCut not long ago where someone did report that it had worked for them when one of his two carbs started puking fuel. Might have been in the Vanagon forum. Can't recall exactly.
It was in the bay window section and the blazecut did save his van. He was running dual Webers, I think 44's. His right carb caught on fire. I don't think he ever definitively discovered the cause of the fire either.

In my opinion, you'd have to really want or try to get your engine to catch fire for it to do so. Anyone experienced w/these old VW's knows to either epoxy or wire tie the inlet/outlet fuel nipples on the carbs and fuel pumps. Some actually remove the brass inlet on the carb tops and thread the hole and screw in a barbed fitting. The German woven fuel hose has never failed me and I change it every couple of years. In my mind, only poor preventative maintenance of a type 1 engine would cause a fire.

Now, type 4 fuel injected? Oh hell yea. I'd NEVER run one w/out a Blazecut system. WIth 28PSI fuel pressure and all those hose connections, I'd want some insurance. :)
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.

JLT
Old School!

Post by JLT » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:37 pm

Well, I went and dood it. I bought a 6' BlazeCut tube and installed it today. Installation was a piece of cake. And I hope and pray that this is the last post I make on this thread, and that I don't have to report on whether the system works or not.

And I agree that no fire suppression system takes the place of "renewing" (love that Britishism) fuel lines on a regular basis, securing the connection between the fuel line and the carb, and all the other handwaves. But for $135, it's cheap insurance.
-- JLT
Sacramento CA