How do I know?

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Mike Boell
Old School!

How do I know?

Post by Mike Boell » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:12 am

So the (new to me) bus is a 1977 with the GD engine.
GD engine by Mike P B, on Flickr
I purchased this as a non runner and brought it home on a flatbed trailer. It has not run in 5 or 6 years and after draining off a 3lb coffee can of water from the tank, changing the fuel filter, and blowing the fuel lines out with air she fired.
From there I drained the oil and changed the filter and went onto a valve adjustment starting with number one. Adding some pressure to the rocker arm in order to slide the feeler gage into place the rocker arm just sank pushing the push rod in towards the case. :scratch:
The 77 GD engine is suppose to be a solid lifter, correct? I've not dealt with hydraulic so I read up. What I remember reading on Ratwell is that if a hydraulic lifter sits (for like 5 years) it can bleed down and running / driving the engine for 30 minutes should pump them back up, so that is what I did. Yesterday morning I pulled the covers off to once again check / adjust the valves and I can not slide a feeler gage. They are tight, no clickity, nothing. I back off the nut and turn the screw out about 1 1/2 turns before I feel relieve. This all seems to fall in line with hydraulics but how do I know. Here are a few photo's of the heads if that helps.
DSCN0457 by Mike P B, on Flickr
DSCN0458 by Mike P B, on Flickr
Mike
Mike Boell
1975 FI Westy
Oregon City

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN THEY'RE PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Re: How do I know?

Post by tristessa » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:51 am

Steel spacers between the rocker arms == hydraulic lifters. And don't trust the code on the shroud, find the one on the case. I betcha they don't match ...
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:33 am

Mike Boell wrote:So the (new to me) bus is a 1977 with the GD engine.
rocker arm just sank pushing the push rod in towards the case.
I back off the nut and turn the screw out about 1 1/2 turns before I feel relieve.
Mike
Then what happened? Do you still feel relieve.

More importantly, did you preload the lifters 1 1/2 turns in from "0" contact?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Mike Boell
Old School!

Post by Mike Boell » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:58 am

Amskeptic wrote: Then what happened?
Colin
That is where I left it for the evening.

Tris,
Where might the engine case number to be found?
Mike
Mike Boell
1975 FI Westy
Oregon City

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN THEY'RE PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:01 pm

Mike Boell wrote:
Amskeptic wrote: Then what happened?
Colin
That is where I left it for the evening.

Tris,
Where might the engine case number to be found?
Mike
It to be found on the engine case just under the breather box, facing you, as you stare into the engine compartment over the fan shroud.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Mike Boell
Old School!

Post by Mike Boell » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:02 pm

More mystery.
The number by the breather is different as Tristessa suggested but in the wrong direction. The case is an ED which I believe to be a 1975 solid lifter.
So was this case rebuild as a 2.0 with hydraulics?
Do I adjust the lifters as if they are hydraulic? It has been starting right up the way it was set.
Do I have steel spacers between the rockers? I can pull the cover off my 1975 bus and compare or can you tell by the photos I posted?
Mike
Mike Boell
1975 FI Westy
Oregon City

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:09 pm

Solid-lifter engine with springs between the rocker arms:
Hydraulic with steel spacers between the rocker arms:
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

Mike Boell
Old School!

Post by Mike Boell » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:06 am

That's a big spacer... Pretty obvious when you know what to look for.
Thanks guys.
1 1/2 turns in from zero it is.
Mike
Mike Boell
1975 FI Westy
Oregon City

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:22 am

I guarantee you have hydraulics if it ran with 'em 1 1/2 in. Solis woulda hung the valves open and the thing would just freewheel with the stater.

But for future/general reference don't trust the spacers/springs difference. I've seen both on both, though they aren't supposed to be. Almost surefire way to tell is by looking down the pushrod tubes to check for the circlips in hydraulic lifters. I say "almost" because once I saw some weird non-stock solid lifters that had circlips for some strange reason.
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:05 am

Having the spacers isn't a forsure bet either as I run them in my solid lifter Westy. I have a sticker on the fan stating that you adjust the valves to .006.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

Mike Boell
Old School!

Post by Mike Boell » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:06 am

I felt a little silly posting the hydraulic question but am happy now that I did after reading the many replies.
Again, the first time I checked the valve clearance the rocker arm sank, pushing the push rod into the case. I knew that wasn't correct and read up on hydraulics. Ratwell describing that a hydraulic can leak down, especially after sitting and in my case about 5 years, I followed what I read, changed the oil, and ran the engine for 20 minutes or so. This time I had zero clearance, again confirming hydraulics. As DjEep wrote, solids woulda hung the valves open and the thing would just freewheel with the stater which I totally understand.
Thanks guys.
Mike
Mike Boell
1975 FI Westy
Oregon City