Meet Morrison...1985 Westfalia

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: 72 Kombi running

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:31 pm

Ryno wrote: Here's a video I took this morning:
youtube
Always good to hear an early Type 4 bus running once again.
Your responsibility to history is now, of course, enormous.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Ryno
IAC Contributor
IAC Contributor

Re: Back in a beater bus

Post by Ryno » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:03 pm

So, after a long winter, I got the 72 out today and took the dogs for a spin. This bus runs and drives like a cream puff. I still need to go through the brakes and fix up the battery tray. Also, need to track down a rear seat and some seat belts.
Attachments
72deluxe2.jpg
Ryan

1985 Westfalia

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:14 am

Ryno wrote:So, after a long winter, I got the 72 out today and took the dogs for a spin. This bus runs and drives like a cream puff. I still need to go through the brakes and fix up the battery tray. Also, need to track down a rear seat and some seat belts.
This Bus has gone to the dogs!
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:46 am

Ryno wrote:So, after a long winter, I got the 72 out today and took the dogs for a spin. This bus runs and drives like a cream puff. I still need to go through the brakes and fix up the battery tray. Also, need to track down a rear seat and some seat belts.
That is a good looking bus.
Does it have a grey interior like the 1970 green buses did?
Colin

Ryno
IAC Contributor
IAC Contributor

Post by Ryno » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:00 am

Amskeptic wrote:
Colin
Thank you Colin. It came with no back seats, but I assume it should be grey or off white. The middle seat I managed to find for it is black. No matter though.
Ryan

1985 Westfalia

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:04 pm

Ryno wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:
Colin
Thank you Colin. It came with no back seats, but I assume it should be grey or off white. The middle seat I managed to find for it is black. No matter though.
I WANNA drive it. We are having Pizza in Minneapo- wait a minute, I have a call in Lodi on June 2nd, we could do a visit between 7:30PM and 7:56PM on my way to Minneapolis.
Colin :sunny:

Ryno
IAC Contributor
IAC Contributor

Post by Ryno » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:33 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Ryno wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:
Colin
I WANNA drive it. We are having Pizza in Minneapo- wait a minute, I have a call in Lodi on June 2nd, we could do a visit between 7:30PM and 7:56PM on my way to Minneapolis.
No problem man. I'm between Chicago and Lodi. Edit: I'm about 1/2 hour northwest from mr. crazycheese. Along US 12.
Ryan

1985 Westfalia

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:50 am

Ryno wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:I have a call in Lodi on June 2nd, we could do a visit [June 01] between [8:00]PM and [8;30]PM on my way to [Lodi]-edit.
No problem man. I'm between Chicago and Lodi. Edit: I'm about 1/2 hour northwest from mr. crazycheese. Along US 12.
A little tight, but doable.

Ryno
IAC Contributor
IAC Contributor

Post by Ryno » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:58 am

Sounds good. PM me as we get closer and I will shoot you my cell number.
Ryan

1985 Westfalia

Ryno
IAC Contributor
IAC Contributor

Post by Ryno » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:37 am

Well, this week brought a hunt for a rear seat and a front brake refresh. I managed to find a rear seat and belts to match our black middle seat, it is a later model, but will do just fine.

I took the front brakes apart and machined the rotors at work, they came out really nice. Repacked the wheel bearings with synthetic grease, cleaned up the calipers and replaced the passenger side brake hose(I did the drivers side last fall). I'm headed up to the family cabin this weekend, so brake bleeding will have to wait till next week sometime.

Next up: Track down vacuum leak and address whiny transmission.
Ryan

1985 Westfalia

Ryno
IAC Contributor
IAC Contributor

Post by Ryno » Wed May 22, 2013 2:10 pm

Ok. So brakes are bled and this rig stops pretty good now. Problem is, it doesn't go good. Seems to pull good in first and second gear, but doesn't want to do much in third or fourth above 45 or 50mph. Just kind of runs out of power. Idles nice and I checked the valves and timing and all is good there.

Any ideas on what to check next?
Ryan

1985 Westfalia

locoqueso
Addicted!

Post by locoqueso » Wed May 22, 2013 2:35 pm

Hey Ryan, going back to your previous post... You're always welcome to stop by my house if it would help you catch up with Colin. It's an open invitation.
1978 VW Campmobile (P-21) Westfalia - T2 2.0L F.I.- 151,000m
1982 Mercedes-Benz Estate Wagon (300TD-T) - S123 3.0L T.D. - 142,000m
1993 Dodge Maxi Van (190 SLF) InterVec Falcon - B350 Magnum 5.9L F.I. - 70,000m

Xelmon
Sedna of VW lovers

Post by Xelmon » Wed May 22, 2013 4:03 pm

I'd say compression check is next.

With low compression it'll go in low gear due to the reduction. Up high, it won't have the oomf.

Ryno
IAC Contributor
IAC Contributor

Post by Ryno » Wed May 22, 2013 5:14 pm

locoqueso wrote:Hey Ryan, going back to your previous post... You're always welcome to stop by my house if it would help you catch up with Colin. It's an open invitation.

NIce offer Steve, thank you. I'm not sure I could make the bus down there as it is. I am daddy duty on Saturdays too, I wouldn't want to unleash an 18 month old during your appointment with Colin.
Xelmon wrote:I'd say compression check is next.

With low compression it'll go in low gear due to the reduction. Up high, it won't have the oomf.
I'm thinking you're on point with that. I will have to see if I can get a reading one of these days.
Ryan

1985 Westfalia

Ryno
IAC Contributor
IAC Contributor

Post by Ryno » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:49 am

Update: Had an impromptu visit from Colin yesterday. After chasing down numerous vacuum leaks and a oil-fouled spark plug, we managed to get this bus to actually run and drive with some power behind it.

Now I at least have a piece of mind that this rig will run and drive without having to rebuild an engine right away.

I am wishing now that I would've taken a photo or two with Colin behind the wheel. Guess I'll have to book him for a full day on the next itinerary. :-)
Ryan

1985 Westfalia