Vanagon engine mount skewed?

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Vanagon engine mount skewed?

Post by SlowLane » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:12 pm

Ever since I've owned my Vanagon, I've been puzzled by what appears to be a cock-eyed mounting of my engine. Looking down at the top of the engine, the spacing of the engine seal to the body is inconsistent. At the front right, the seal is too far away from the body to close the gap, and at the rear right, the seal is scrunched into a small gap. Also, viewing the car from the back, you can see that the muffler doesn't line up parallel to the rear apron.

Recently, I've noticed that some pictures folks have posted here of their Vanagon engine compartments show the same skew.

Curious, I scooted under my van and measured the distance from either side rail to the center of the transmision mount. Surprise, the mount is offset from the centerline to the right by about 5/8". Equally curiously, there are what appear to be additional mounting holes in the frame rail about an inch to the left of the holes that are used by the mount.

How many Vanagon owners have this oddity? Is it peculiar to certain years? Colin, you've probably seen more Vanagons than anyone: is this just the way they are?
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Vanagon engine mount skewed?

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:53 pm

SlowLane wrote:Ever since I've owned my Vanagon, I've been puzzled by what appears to be a cock-eyed mounting of my engine. Looking down at the top of the engine, the spacing of the engine seal to the body is inconsistent. At the front right, the seal is too far away from the body to close the gap, and at the rear right, the seal is scrunched into a small gap. Also, viewing the car from the back, you can see that the muffler doesn't line up parallel to the rear apron.

Recently, I've noticed that some pictures folks have posted here of their Vanagon engine compartments show the same skew.

Curious, I scooted under my van and measured the distance from either side rail to the center of the transmision mount. Surprise, the mount is offset from the centerline to the right by about 5/8". Equally curiously, there are what appear to be additional mounting holes in the frame rail about an inch to the left of the holes that are used by the mount.

How many Vanagon owners have this oddity? Is it peculiar to certain years? Colin, you've probably seen more Vanagons than anyone: is this just the way they are?
The Vanagon body mounting points have had to absorb diesel engine, air-cooled engine, water boxer engine, and different transaxles + synchro 4wd.

You have four mounts at the rear support bar, and a couple at the nose cone mount, right? If you loosen every bolt that has the least bit of wiggle room, and try to adjust the positioning of the entire drivetrain, with a nifty nudge it-in-1st/bang it in reverse (engine off! in gear) with loose mounts, you can see your compliance room. All tins in place and not horribly bent askew?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:07 pm

Amskeptic wrote:The Vanagon body mounting points have had to absorb diesel engine, air-cooled engine, water boxer engine, and different transaxles + synchro 4wd.
Granted, but the existing aircooled engine was the first one they put in the back of the new box, so you'd think it would have fit like a glove. They didn't have to worry about engine perimeter seals with the water-cooled engines.
Amskeptic wrote:You have four mounts at the rear support bar, and a couple at the nose cone mount, right? If you loosen every bolt that has the least bit of wiggle room, and try to adjust the positioning of the entire drivetrain, with a nifty nudge it-in-1st/bang it in reverse (engine off! in gear) with loose mounts, you can see your compliance room.
I'll crawl under tomorrow and see what I can do along those lines. I'll also take a close look at the condition of the transaxle mount. The engine mounts were replaced with new ones when I rebuilt the engine.
Amskeptic wrote:All tins in place and not horribly bent askew?
You bet. :salute:

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:08 pm

How are your rubber mounts? All that torque will twist them over time. Also, make sure the hanger bar isn't on backwards. (arrows pointing forward)
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:35 pm

How are your rubber mounts? All that torque will twist them over time.
Like I said, I replaced them with new when I rebuilt the engine. The engine went in skewed with the brand new mounts.

Haven't been back under for another look; got roped into going to a Canada Day picnic today. More Molson Canadian than I've had in awhile. Good times. :drunken:

"All that torque". :lol:
Also, make sure the hanger bar isn't on backwards. (arrows pointing forward)
Arrows are facing forward. Mounting holes don't come close to lining up if they're facing backwards.

Thanks for the suggestions.

- Terry Pratchett

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:28 pm

Just checkin'. I've seen 'em come in with the bar backwards. But I think that was on waterboxers.
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?