Swaybars

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Re: Swaybars

Post by RussellK » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:16 pm

Yes the new stuff is simply awful. I'm not at a one handed movement yet but it's an arthritically weakend two hand with mininum effort. Thats pretty good considering it started so tight it took enormous effort. It seems after very careful honing at the center pin and more miles mount the steering components seem to be settling in. The worst offenders of the new components? Ball joints and a centerpin that were way too tight.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:53 am

RussellK wrote:Yes the new stuff is simply awful. I'm not at a one handed movement yet but it's an arthritically weakend two hand with mininum effort. Thats pretty good considering it started so tight it took enormous effort. It seems after very careful honing at the center pin and more miles mount the steering components seem to be settling in. The worst offenders of the new components? Ball joints and a centerpin that were way too tight.
The Doktor's orders?
Drive it. A lot.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:25 am

Amskeptic wrote: With the front end off the ground, you can rotate the wheel from full lock to full lock with one hand. Try that with your refreshed suspension.
I'll have to give that a go sometime out of curiosity, since Just About Everything is fairly recent -- ball joints, tie rods, drag link, center pin, shocks, steering damper. It doesn't seem difficult to drive and doesn't wander much (exception: over 70MPH with crosswinds/semis) but my reference point isn't the best. This is the only Bus I've owned, and everything steering-wise was shot from decades of use & neglect. Ball joints falling apart, tie rod ends flopping like overcooked pasta .. and you saw my center pin, right?
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:39 am

tristessa wrote:you saw my center pin, right?
Lawdy, I did, and that lifter still wakes me up from a dead sleep.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles