Hippy's Not Quite an Engine Rebuild Thread

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Hippy's Not Quite an Engine Rebuild Thread

Post by Hippie » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:11 am

I've rebuilt three T1 and one T4 engine in the past, and I ain't got the time or desire to do it again right now.
This time, for better or worse, I've ordered a long block from VW Off-Road Motors/Headflow Masters. Adrian there says it should be crated by tomorrow but says he forgot to tell me when I ordered that he needs to ship it to a business address. I can't do that, so I hope there are no delays.

But anyway, I though I'd start this little thread and post some pictures later on.

The Bus has been sitting since last September or October....I don't even remember now...sitting with all the tin and other anciliary engine stuff inside it in the far end my driveway. I'm sure the old battery is toast from being mostly discharged all winter. No biggy as it was pretty much an antique as batteries go. I have to replace the muffler and heater boxes because I'm not putting that rusty, holey junk on the new motor, and I have all that stuff including the clamp kits and gaskets. New damper and tailpipe and bracket, too.

So my question is what do you guys use to get the factory/storage primer off them? Last time I replaced exhaust stuff with new, I left the primer on and discovered it was not high-temp primer like it should have been, and the exhasust paint I put on over it peeled off almost as soon as it got up to running temperature for the first time.
This time I want bare metal to start with. I used "aircraft" spray-on paint stripper with modest results. Two applications and still scrubbing it with a Chore Boy under running water with nitrile gloves on. I want something that just rolls it off. I'm not into hours of scrubbing in the hot sun. I may be able to get the last of the paint with laquer thinner and a wire brush. Anything stronger out there?

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Re: Hippy's Not Quite an Engine Rebuild Thread

Post by hambone » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:20 am

I used oven cleaner to strip the paint and laboriously painted the parts with hitemp, which is delightfully rusty patina now. Must be the Oregon. Not sure if I'd do it again, it was a lot of work for nothing.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

mross
I'm New!

Post by mross » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:42 am

I recently went through my engine and exhaust. The thing that worked best for removing paint and surface rust was a knotted cup brush on an angle grinder. Takes the paint and stuff right off (412 muffler to bare metal from factory paint and surface rust in 10 minutes!). Wear goggles, sturdy gloves, and hearing protection when you use it though. Also, don't use the cup brush on anything threaded (bolts, studs), as it will damage the threads, and never let it touch your skin or clothing (potential for serious injury).

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:57 am

Left the primer on, coated with hi-temp rattle can that Paige had left over. Only been on there a couple hundred miles, so don't now how it is going to wear yet. How's Miss Zora's holding up?
The slipper has no teeth.

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:56 pm

My primer gotta come off. Got most of it. Prolly go at the corners with an angle grinder/cup brush like suggested.
Nothing is easy, huh? Well thanks y'all. I suppose the strippers they sell are pretty lawyered down by now to protect us Darwins.
I wish someone wouls sell me some old-timey stripper from the days of responsibility...I promise to wear a crash helmet when spraying it.

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:07 pm

they have to ship to a business for the truckers. it might be delivered by a 53' trailer on a long wheelbase tractor with a sleeper like a motorhome. they don't like residential streets at all. what with cul-de-sacs, tree limbs, or heavens forbid a new england historic district with paved cowpaths. do you frequent a particular lumberyard or any business that uses forklifts. someone will do it for you for a little scratch. I had mine delivered to a regional transfer station, trash trucked in by the ton and hauled out by train, they unloaded it from the truck with a monster front end loader. i needed one guy to help lift it into the trunk of my ole merc. then i got home, had to wait for the pop warner football players to to show up, this was a long block type 1.
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:03 pm

I have had stuff delivered to the local lumber yard (where I have spent thousands of dollars for stuff) and just picked it up there. Other options are work (we have a loading dock and a fork lift), school, local auto repair shop, etc.

Semi trucks are a nightmare down here at the beach. Narrow little streets with trees limbs in the way.
79 VW Bus

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:04 am

Thanks guys, but they roll down my street and get stuck at the 90 degree turn all the time...they just roll over and crush the storm drain at the corner and the city rebuilds it every few years. LOL.
Adrian said they'd drop it here. I could maybe find a garage nearby, but haven't had time to talk to anyone.

Rob

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:23 pm

Hippie wrote:My primer gotta come off. Got most of it. Prolly go at the corners with an angle grinder/cup brush like suggested.
Nothing is easy, huh? Well thanks y'all. I suppose the strippers they sell are pretty lawyered down by now to protect us Darwins.
I wish someone wouls sell me some old-timey stripper from the days of responsibility...I promise to wear a crash helmet when spraying it.
Strip Eze is what I used before. Anyplace that sells paint ought to have it, Ace hardware and such. I intend to use it on my Bus nose and bumpers soon.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:40 pm

That's what I have.
I finished the remnant today with a Scothchbrite pad and laquer thinner. Took a couple hours.
I need some more VHT paint now. Then start baking. I hope that stripper works better on the tin.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:31 pm

Hippie wrote:That's what I have.
I finished the remnant today with a Scothchbrite pad and laquer thinner. Took a couple hours.
I need some more VHT paint now. Then start baking. I hope that stripper works better on the tin.
So it sucks? Crap I was going to try the thick enamel on the bumpers with that, not now.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

chachi
Old School!

Post by chachi » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:10 pm

1974 transporter panel, 2.0 dual solex
1991 vanagon NAHT, RJE 2.3

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:46 am

Ya Sly, it sucks on muffler primer anyway. Can't speak for bumper paint. Still better than sanding.
Let me text a buddy of mine that uses this stuff. He gave me a brand name a while ago and strip-eze wasn't it.
Said it rolls the paint off before you even hit it with the water. I'll get back to you. I want to get that brand myself...whatever it was.

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:46 am

chachi, I thought about soda, but too messy for where I have to work. Thanks tho.

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:12 am

It's alive.