My pound puppy engine has finally settled in..

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

My pound puppy engine has finally settled in..

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:32 am

Only took 4 Colin (or was it 5?) visits, one year sitting up on jack stands, and lots of hair pulling. Changed the oil the other day, checked the timing and the dwell, and all was spot on..right where I had left it 3,000 miles ago. This is the first time I've been able to go a full normal maintenance interval without having to do anything else in between. :cheers: I'll check the valves today.

Of course, I can't get too excited, as I realize I am on the cusp of an engine rebuild...one head has a broken exhaust stud, and the other head has a helicoil in it with a spark plug that has at least 15,000 miles on it. But, at least I will get to camp in it this summer.

This summer I will focus on keeping the rust at bay, as well as other things more on the cosmetic side. Then next summer I will do an engine rebuild...just haven't decided if I want to do top end including heads, jugs, pistons, etc, or if I'm going to split the case. All indications is that the bottom end, cam, etc are in good shape.

Cheers,
Mike
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Re: My pound puppy engine has finally settled in..

Post by hambone » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:54 am

Congrats! But you will never be able to relax, there is always somethin'...
I always thank my bus (in a relief) when it gets me home safe.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:59 pm

No, never able to relax, but at least i'm not sitting on pins and needles. :joker:
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:39 pm

TrollFromDownBelow wrote:No, never able to relax, but at least i'm not sitting on pins and needles. :joker:
Do the whole rebuild for the experience of it. Ask Hambone. It is a pleasure to drive an engine like his is now. If he had nursed it, he would have missed all the fine rides with a tight lower end. If you know what I mean.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:16 am

Amskeptic wrote:
TrollFromDownBelow wrote:No, never able to relax, but at least i'm not sitting on pins and needles. :joker:
Do the whole rebuild for the experience of it. Ask Hambone. It is a pleasure to drive an engine like his is now. If he had nursed it, he would have missed all the fine rides with a tight lower end. If you know what I mean.
Colin
That will be this coming winters' project, when the midwest streets are covered with salt and snow. :flower: This summer I'm going to concentrate on keeping the rust monsters at bay...fixing the windshield lip rust, touch ups, etc. :alien:
1976 VW Bus aka tripod

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:36 pm

Adjusted the valves last week...1-3 cylinders were on the loose side, and # 4 was spot on, no adjustments necessary :thumbright: . Now that the engine has settled in, I tried to get the valves as close to .006 as possible (I was setting at a 'loose' .006). It's amazing that you can actually feel the difference in power between valves that have floated out of adjustment to say .007 - .0075 and then setting back to spec. Where I really notice it is in the middle of the power band.... like taking off from a light. Sure does idle smooth and purty...it's a shame the heads are messed up.
1976 VW Bus aka tripod

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:36 am

TrollFromDownBelow wrote:Sure does idle smooth and purty...it's a shame the heads are messed up.
Drive it. Some VWs are like those previously abused and neglected pound puppies who nonetheless bond with you instantly and turn out to have sweet dispositions. Your pound puppy might bark a bit loudly, but fetches nicely . . . or sumpin
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

yondermtn
Old School!

Post by yondermtn » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:12 am

A running bus is a great thing!

What kind of rust work will you be doing? Got any pics?

I've got some spots that need attention, but I'm not sure how I'm going to tackle it so I'd love to see what others are dealing with.
1977 Westy 2.0FI
1990 Vanagon MV 2.1 Auto

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:37 pm

i had a type4 once. it was so badly neglected, the valve stems looked like a bird bath. everything ticked so loudly that small children and animals nearby kinda vibrated, you know, as if you turned a bedroom ''appliance'' on and stood it on end. ran sweet, even on the day i took it out for the last time. still have it, good bottom end. heads are junk, both broken at exhaust stud holes. ran it around locally with some 3 hours on the highway days. for a couple years.
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:15 am

yondermtn wrote: What kind of rust work will you be doing? Got any pics?
I'm very fortunate... minimal rust; but, I had to leave it outside for a good 7-8 months last year (had another project that was taking up the entire garage) and I've noticed that it started to creep. Want to nip it in the bud. Worst is the typical windshield lip - fotunately, I don't think it is rust through - although won't know the extend until I pull the windshield. Also under the battery tray is getting bad...again not through yet.
vdubyah73 wrote:i had a type4 once. it was so badly neglected, the valve stems looked like a bird bath.
I have a similar situation with this engine ... when we (Colin and I about 5 years ago) popped the valve covers there were wood chips inside, and all kinds of stones/gunk and pigeon s@#! on the cooling fins. It took me about 5k miles to narrow down a random bucking issue to a Type II sensor ... the shrink tubing @ the base would loosen when the engine was warm, and then tighten when it cooled...same with the threads in the block (loose when warm, tight when cool) made it difficult to diagnose. Runs good now...but the heads..they are toast ... will run her until i have to replace.
1976 VW Bus aka tripod