Muffler hanging suggestions?

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Quadratrückseite
IAC's #1 Cubs Fan
IAC's #1 Cubs Fan

Muffler hanging suggestions?

Post by Quadratrückseite » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:52 pm

This might look like an artifact from the Titanic, but in fact it is the part of the exhaust that the muffler hanger fastens onto. My problems are that the original screw is rusted completely, and the head is broken off (bottom of the pic) - also, the new hanger I have doesn't really engage very well with the top part, due to the severe rust. This is a 1978 California bus, so it has a cat and (from what I've been told) a kind of rare straight exhaust pipe from the heat exchangers to the cat (which is what this picture is a part of).

Any suggestions? I've thought of trying to drill out that screw and then use a nut/bolt combo to hold the muffler hanger, as well as try to clean out the top part so the hanger will fit snugly. Or can I just replace this piece? I'm not sure if it's part of the whole straight pipe. Or has anyone else faced this problem and used a different kind of muffler hanger?

Thanks!
"The bus is the real talisman. It's the thing that runs through all of this history. It's not a thing anybody owns or controls. No matter how peeved you get with people, the bus always makes your heart jump. Everybody was attached to it."
- Ken Kesey

Steve
1978 Country Homes Camper conversion - "Gus"

http://gusthevwbus.com
http://freshandmodern.com/blog

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Re: Muffler hanging suggestions?

Post by tristessa » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:23 pm

That's part of the crossover pipe so you'd have to replace the whole thing.

Maybe a big hose clamp? The hardware store where I work carries them up to 8.5" diameter in stainless steel, should be big enough to go around the muffler and the pipe behind it.
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

Quadratrückseite
IAC's #1 Cubs Fan
IAC's #1 Cubs Fan

Post by Quadratrückseite » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:22 pm

I like that big hose clamp idea - thanks! I also thought about maybe welding some sort of tab on the muffler, and then using one of those generic muffler hanger kits from the local FLAPS.
"The bus is the real talisman. It's the thing that runs through all of this history. It's not a thing anybody owns or controls. No matter how peeved you get with people, the bus always makes your heart jump. Everybody was attached to it."
- Ken Kesey

Steve

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:36 am

Quadratrückseite wrote:I like that big hose clamp idea - thanks! I also thought about maybe welding some sort of tab on the muffler, and then using one of those generic muffler hanger kits from the local FLAPS.
That piece looks intact enough to use as designed. The hook ends for the factory clamp cross pin appear to be in decent enough shape, and get to work under the tension of the clamp . Clean, maybe enhance the hooks with judicious dremel, drill old bolt out and clean hole with a tap, paint crossover assembly complete and thorough and beautiful and cure according to the paint instructions.

The problem with any other hack job here, like a big clamp around the muffler and crossover, is that vibration will let the stainless steel clamp eat through the crossover pipe's thinner cross section.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Mike Boell
Old School!

Post by Mike Boell » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:13 am

I had the same problem with my crossover pipe. I center punched and drilled out the bolt as close to center as I could without getting into the threads, then I used a torch to heat around what was left of the broken bolt. The heating and cooling of the different metals helped release the grip. Then I used a pick to remove the remaining threads. Ran a tap through and, almost as good a new. I gooped the new bolt up with never sleeze.
Mike Boell
1975 FI Westy
Oregon City

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN THEY'RE PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

Quadratrückseite
IAC's #1 Cubs Fan
IAC's #1 Cubs Fan

Post by Quadratrückseite » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:09 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Quadratrückseite wrote:I like that big hose clamp idea - thanks! I also thought about maybe welding some sort of tab on the muffler, and then using one of those generic muffler hanger kits from the local FLAPS.
That piece looks intact enough to use as designed. The hook ends for the factory clamp cross pin appear to be in decent enough shape, and get to work under the tension of the clamp . Clean, maybe enhance the hooks with judicious dremel, drill old bolt out and clean hole with a tap, paint crossover assembly complete and thorough and beautiful and cure according to the paint instructions.

The problem with any other hack job here, like a big clamp around the muffler and crossover, is that vibration will let the stainless steel clamp eat through the crossover pipe's thinner cross section.
Colin
Thanks for that Colin - I took a round file to the hook ends...the clamp fits much better now. Still working on drilling out the bolt - I've broken a few drill bits!

I used Dupli-Color High Heat w/Ceramic 1200 degree spray paint (aluminum color) on the new muffler and tailpipe (like the can on the right in the photo). I think I'll use that to paint the crossover pipe and catalytic converter. Do you think that's a high enough temperature rating for those areas?

- Ken Kesey

Steve

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:13 pm

Quadratrückseite wrote:
Thanks for that Colin - I took a round file to the hook ends...the clamp fits much better now. Still working on drilling out the bolt - I've broken a few drill bits!

I used Dupli-Color High Heat w/Ceramic 1200 degree spray paint (aluminum color) on the new muffler and tailpipe (like the can on the right in the photo). I think I'll use that to paint the crossover pipe and catalytic converter. Do you think that's a high enough temperature rating for those areas?
Don't even bother with the cadillac converter. Just hit the flanges. I used uber-primer (2000*) and the 2000* silver on the exhaust of the BobD. Clean is important, like soap and water and rise and dry perfect clean.
Colin

Quadratrückseite
IAC's #1 Cubs Fan
IAC's #1 Cubs Fan

Post by Quadratrückseite » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:56 pm

So I tried to drill out the screw/drill a new hole, and it was taking forever with very little progress, and many a broken drill bit.
Then an idea popped into my head. I got out the grinder and ground out the area.
I had a scrap piece of heavy gauge steel lying around, so I traced a pattern for a new end cap:
Welded it into place:
Then I drilled a new hole into the new steel, and used a sheet metal screw to tap a new hole (I don't have the necessary tools to tap a new threaded hole). The screw in the pic isn't the final screw - I used a sheet metal screw with a nut head, so I can remove it with a socket.
I test fit the muffler hanger, and it fit perfectly:
Ignoring Colin's advice :geek: I painted the whole area.
And hung the muffler:
I'm still having a bit of a problem getting the muffler and cat to stay bolted together (the cat was welded to the old muffler, so I've got some more grinding to do to get a good fit) but it's coming along.
- Ken Kesey

Steve

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:42 pm

Quadratrückseite wrote:So I
And hung the muffler:
I'm still having a bit of a problem getting the muffler and cat to stay bolted together (the cat was welded to the old muffler, so I've got some more grinding to do to get a good fit) but it's coming along.
Feel free to ignore my observation that your tailpipe is pointing pretty "severely", in Mitt Romney parlance, downwards.

Oh, and I will stop by to see how that silver looks, skippy, on the bling!bling! cadillac converter.
:king:

Quadratrückseite
IAC's #1 Cubs Fan
IAC's #1 Cubs Fan

Post by Quadratrückseite » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:01 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Quadratrückseite wrote:So I
And hung the muffler:
Feel free to ignore my observation that your tailpipe is pointing pretty "severely", in Mitt Romney parlance, downwards.

Oh, and I will stop by to see how that silver looks, skippy, on the bling!bling! cadillac converter.
:king:
I was wondering that (the angle of the tailpipe) - what should be the correct angle/location for the tailpipe? I didn't have one when I got the bus. Just half of a rusted muffler. :geek:

*Edit - I found this pic on TheSamba (SgKent's bus)...does this look correct? Almost (or exactly) horizontal?

I managed to get the muffler and cat bolted together with the aid of an inner sleeve.

You are welcome anytime my friend...maybe we can squeeze out enough coin for a visit this year. When will you be in Colorado? My son still asks "What happened to the blue bus that was in the garage?" :pale:
- Ken Kesey

Steve

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:25 pm

Quadratrückseite wrote: *Edit - I found this pic on TheSamba (SgKent's bus)...does this look correct? Almost (or exactly) horizontal?
Hmph. I suppose an original 78 bus on the Itinerant Air-Cooled site isN"T GOOD ENOUGH FOR YOU HAHH?

Quadratrückseite wrote: You are welcome anytime my friend...maybe we can squeeze out enough coin for a visit this year. When will you be in Colorado? My son still asks "What happened to the blue bus that was in the garage?" :pale:
I may very well have a Colorado getting put together. Staaaaay tuned. Is your daughter almost in college by now?
I don't even remember if your son had reached word verbalization when I was there last . . . :geek:

Quadratrückseite
IAC's #1 Cubs Fan
IAC's #1 Cubs Fan

Post by Quadratrückseite » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:01 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Quadratrückseite wrote: *Edit - I found this pic on TheSamba (SgKent's bus)...does this look correct? Almost (or exactly) horizontal?
Hmph. I suppose an original 78 bus on the Itinerant Air-Cooled site isN"T GOOD ENOUGH FOR YOU HAHH?

I couldn't see the tailpipe as clearly in your beautiful original '78 photo. :geek:

I went out and rotated the tailpipe/muffler - I believe (hopefully) I got it to where it should be:
(if you look closely in the second pic you can see the GENUINE white timing marks you painted...)
Amskeptic wrote: I may very well have a Colorado getting put together. Staaaaay tuned. Is your daughter almost in college by now?
I don't even remember if your son had reached word verbalization when I was there last . . . :geek:
Almost...she is in second grade (8 years old) and is growing like a weed. She's 4 foot 8 inches tall! You may be right about my son - I think he was one and a half the last time you were here, and he'll be four in a week! My daughter was four the first time we had you visit in North Carolina, and my son was six months old...time flies. They both love the bus - I really am close to being on the road. I have to go through the brakes, and then I'm ready (I hope!). I spent too much time messing around with the front nose when I replaced the windshield - now I'm concentrating on stopping and running, and worrying about the other body stuff later.
- Ken Kesey

Steve

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:51 pm

Quadratrückseite wrote:
Almost...she (8 years old) and is growing like a weed. She's 4 foot 8 inches tall!
my son'll be four in a week!
Good frickengrief, I don't get this "time" thing.
I gotta stop by and say hi. I'll take the interstate on the way out this time.
Colin