A New Heart For Miss Zora

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

misszora
IAC Addict!

Re: Spare Engine Rebuild

Post by misszora » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:13 am

So now I have a friend piping up saying that I shouldn't split the case unless I am replacing the camshaft. Opinions?
I know that it was DOA on the bellhousing when it was tested...sounded crunchy.
Miss Zora - '77 VW Riviera Hard Top Campmobile
Dharma Bug - '69 VW Bug
The Vandejo - '74 VW Westfalia Poptop (former mom)

misszora
IAC Addict!

Post by misszora » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:42 am

Piston ring expander? Specific size? I know I don't need it right now but want to be prepared.
Dharma Bug - '69 VW Bug

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:49 am

ring expanders are 1 size fits all. And yes if it didn't turn smooth as butter split the case and look see.
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:08 am

misszora wrote:So now I have a friend piping up saying that I shouldn't split the case unless I am replacing the camshaft. Opinions?
I know that it was DOA on the bellhousing when it was tested...sounded crunchy.
Split the case. We know the thrust/main bearing is toast, we *don't* know if the camshaft is OK. Get yerself an empty egg carton, pull the lifters one-at-a-time and put the in the carton holes, mark which one was was where (1-Ex 1-In etc), then close the carton and *carefully* put it someplace safe so they don't get jumbled, like a high shelf the cats can't reach.

That way the lifters can go back on the cam lobes they came from .. if the cam and lifters check out as "OK".
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

misszora
IAC Addict!

Post by misszora » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:00 am

Done!!! Lifters are in egg cartons...passenger & driver side each have their own. Safely tucked away from the helper cats.

and I'll get the expander.
Dharma Bug - '69 VW Bug

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:11 am

Ach, no pizza and beer for me. Ambitions not met. A pile of clean tin and further to put together a power plant for Bertha languishing as guest in the parental parking place. Might sic Cheryle on you though.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

misszora
IAC Addict!

Post by misszora » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:43 am

Got a different pair of pliers from Hal yesterday and immediately removed a second circlip on the first try today.
As far as the piston pin removal, can I spray them to get them out easier? tap them?

thanks!

and yes, the case is going to be split! I mean, how often do you get the opportunity to make sure everything is correct deep inside of your engine?
Dharma Bug - '69 VW Bug

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:14 pm

misszora wrote:As far as the piston pin removal, can I spray them to get them out easier? tap them?
Yes. You almost certainly are going to be installing new pistons and cylinders which will have new wrist pins and circlips. You don't have to be gorilla, but you don't have to be uber-gentle either. If you don't have one, I recommend a brass drift for tapping on things you do want to be gentle with. Brass is softer than steel and is much less likely to cause damage. I got mine at Harbor Freight, unfortunately I don't see it on their website anymore. Maybe Hal's True Value has them.
misszora wrote:and yes, the case is going to be split! I mean, how often do you get the opportunity to make sure everything is correct deep inside of your engine?
Good on ya!
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:39 pm

misszora wrote:Got a different pair of pliers from Hal yesterday and immediately removed a second circlip on the first try today.
As far as the piston pin removal, can I spray them to get them out easier? tap them?

thanks!

and yes, the case is going to be split! I mean, how often do you get the opportunity to make sure everything is correct deep inside of your engine?
A sunny day or strong workbench incandescent/halogen lamps are a boon for wristpin removal, because it takes only a little warmth to expand the piston bores enough to tap them out.

Do you have the Tom Wilson How To Rebuild Your VW Engine book? If not, borrow one and read it at bedtime. The information will absorb whether or not you are consciously noting it all. It is then a nice referral while assembling.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

misszora
IAC Addict!

Post by misszora » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:39 pm

Everything is out and the splitting has begun.

Hambone (Thank you!!) came by today and helped me with the last piston pin and some stubborn nuts. We got all the case fasteners off - caught one after several lookovers! - and started tapping on various spots to start the splitting process. Unfortunately, I only had a couple of pieces of soft wood for tapping and they both splintered. But you can totally see the separation beginning.

Any recommendations on a good material to use in conjunction with a hammer to coax those two halves apart?
Dharma Bug - '69 VW Bug

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:15 pm

Hammie is a stubborn nut alright. I think I always used a 2 x 4 on the type 1 case. Always an exasperating experience because invariably, I miss one of the fasteners.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

misszora
IAC Addict!

Post by misszora » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:33 pm

I'll recheck again...it does help having two sets of eyes. I might clean away some of the gunk around the seams, too.
Dharma Bug - '69 VW Bug

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:07 pm

OK Paige, gotta tell you the story of my engine splitting after sharring it with Colin, he said I should but over on Free Speech. Be doing it later, still laughing and longing for "Bacon and a cocktail"

Later,

Barb

ps---it took me close to a year to get the nerve :geek:
'69 weekender ~ Elwood

misszora
IAC Addict!

Post by misszora » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:57 pm

Sweet! Can't wait to read it! Thanks, Barb!

And this thread is going to be moved to Type 2.
Dharma Bug - '69 VW Bug

Oregon72
IAC Addict!

Post by Oregon72 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:07 pm

Paige, if it isn't damn near ffalling apart, you likely STILL have one more nut. Look over every inch of the case top, bottom, front, back, and sides.

AC Ranch is not lying about the oil pump. Fancypants and I broke the ear off mine because we didn't realize you had to have the adjacent fasteners loosened first. Palm to forehead.

Don't forget to enjoy yourself.
-'72 Westy-