Vibration in 3rd and 4th

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

appetite
Getting Hooked!

Vibration in 3rd and 4th

Post by appetite » Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:28 am

Hi all,

Don't know if anyone is still around these parts, but...

69 Bus with a 1600DP, tranny rebuilt less than 5000 miles.

I have a vibration and a rattling that comes through the shifter that occurs only in 3rd and 4th and only on acceleration. The sound goes away on deceleration and in the lower gears.

I will check the bushing up front, but is there anything else i should trace back to the tranny?

Thanks,

James

appetite
Getting Hooked!

Re: Vibration in 3rd and 4th

Post by appetite » Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:58 pm

So I think i found the culprit.

As per Robbie's suggestion, i adjusted the valves this morning. They were all tight.

After the adjustment, I took her out for a test drive. The rattle was still apparent, but the vibration had diminished considerably.

So I'm pleased and mortified. Pleased that this might have been the cause of the vibration, but mortified at the possibility that the valves were so tight as to cause that level of movement through the engine and up and down the drivetrain.

As i said, the rattle is still there, but that I chalk up to the bus being 50 years old, likely with the original bushings.

James

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:32 am

... update for the readership. Transaxle packed it in. We are waiting for the failure report.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,660 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 206,845 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 116,898 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,570 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 84,465 miles

appetite
Getting Hooked!

Post by appetite » Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:12 pm

Remember when I said I thought adjusting the valves took some of the vibration away, but the rattle remained? Well today, total, utter breakdown!

I was pulling away from a dead stop, shifting from 1st to 2nd and I heard a "bang" from the rear, almost as if it had jumped out of gear, and the bus lurched and vibrated violently. The loudest and most horrible noises came from the back, as if the engine was seizing (it wasn’t: it is running cool and smooth in neutral at idle). The bus felt like it was coming apart. Oh my!

It is the worst case scenario. Here’s the pieces of the transmission that tumbled out when I drained the gear oil. Time to call the vendor that rebuilt this transmission and see if he will honor the warranty.
teeth.jpg
teeth.jpg (1.34 MiB) Viewed 26 times

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:25 am

appetite wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:12 pm

It is the worst case scenario. Here’s the pieces of the transmission that tumbled out when I drained the gear oil. Time to call the vendor that rebuilt this transmission and see if he will honor the warranty.
teeth.jpg

Are those actual gear teeth? With a slight curve? Ring and pinion!
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,660 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 206,845 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 116,898 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,570 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 84,465 miles