Pigalle Squareback?

Fastback, Squareback, Notchback, T-3 Karmann Ghia.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

MeyerII
IAC Addict!

Post by MeyerII » Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:14 pm

Congratulations! Hope to see you around in the Type 3 forums.
Corporations are not people.

Money is not speech.

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:38 pm

Had a look at FP's new square and I think he got a nice little car.

Lots of crusty hoses but snip, tug, and bit o spit and next thing you know there's new hoses all the way around. Didn't have time to hook up the LM1 to check mix but we did up the idle a little and rerouted a few problem spots (pinched fuel line and a kinked vacuum on a device I can't identify yet (came out of the top of the case and connected to the bottom of the plenum.)

clean looks, good paint, funky tires.
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

fancy pants
Old School!

Post by fancy pants » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:32 pm

True dat. A few years of storage has resulted in a bunch of old dried up rubber bits. My biggest issue, after a complete tune-up and replacing the aforementioned hoses with Gypsie, has been bucking. More prevalent at lower RPMs and, oddly, when going down hill - but it is present under all conditions. I stopped by to see Hal at his place of bidness today to pick up a few supplies, and he showed me a trick to richen the mixture a bit. Simply by disconnecting the #2 Temps Sensor, it seem that my car is much happier. Smoother idle, and no more bucking thusfar!

Still lots to do, but I will start a separate post tomorrow for those issues, and will throw up some pictures. All in all, things are looking up!

Thanks Hal and Gypsie for your help :flower:
John
76 Bus - Riviera
81 Mercedes 300TD
05 Golf TDI

Gone but not forgotten:
1972 Bus
1973 Squareback

We are not going to stick anything that dirty down in your hole - Colin, 6/30/2010

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Post by whc03grady » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:46 pm

What? I didn't know about that trick (Gertie's a low rpm bucker as well).

Is this fix (or "fix") contraindicated for any reason?
Ludwig--1974 Westfalia, 2.0L (GD035193), Solex 34PDSIT-2/3 carburetors.
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).
Read about their adventures:
http://www.ludwigandgertie.blogspot.com

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:33 pm

Likely environment is the first in line in relation to that sensor.

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:21 am

Unauthorized trick I learned from Russ Wolfe years ago on the vwtype3.org mailing list.

With D-jetronic, intake manifold vacuum is pretty critical. The system uses manifold vacuum (via the MPS) to sense engine load, which determines how much fuel is injected. Older engines, through both vacuum leaks and engine wear, have lower manifold vacuum than new, fresh engines do. Lower vacuum == less fuel == leaner mixture. Disconnecting TS1 "tricks" the brain into increasing the injector pulse time by around 10% .. richening the mixture without tweeking the MPS.

I remembered the designations wrong earlier today when I saw FP at work. TS2 is the sensor in the head, TS1 is the sensor in the plenum. Sorry 'bout that...

There's a metric crapload (which much larger than an Imperial crapload) of very technical D-jetronic information at http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/ if anyone wants to really geek out on it. :flower:
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:57 am

I just remembered something that was a bit concerning with the squareback.

When we were doing some testing we pulled plugs one at a time to check for variations When we disconnected one of the plugs a cloth braided line that was laying against the generator began to arc into the hole.

I didn't think the lines vacuum or fuel were conductive? any reason for concern? I don't remember if it was vacuum or a fuel line. I'm thinking vacuum. The area where the line is touching the generator is powdery white.

Apparently the last owner said she had genereators burn out fairly regularly.

Any ideas what to look for? I suggested finding and conditioning all ground connections first.