Tire recommendations

Fastback, Squareback, Notchback, T-3 Karmann Ghia.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Tire recommendations

Post by whc03grady » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:00 pm

What kind of tires do we like on our Type 3s? Such a nimble little sprite like Gertrude deserves a good set, so we're soliciting recommendations.

Note: they need to perform well in snow.
Ludwig--1974 Westfalia, 2.0L (GD035193), Solex 34PDSIT-2/3 carburetors.
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).
Read about their adventures:
http://www.ludwigandgertie.blogspot.com

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Tire recommendations

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:41 pm

whc03grady wrote:What kind of tires do we like on our Type 3s? Such a nimble little sprite like Gertrude deserves a good set, so we're soliciting recommendations.

Note: they need to perform well in snow.
M + S Anything Halfway Decent will do. These cars are light and nimble and easy on tires.
Colin47*ForecastTonightInBellinghamWAJune28thWhere'sSummer?
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

MeyerII
IAC Addict!

Post by MeyerII » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:28 pm

I know that this isn't going to be the answer you are looking for, but these are the tires I have on mine:

https://store.coker.com/165r15-bfg-3-4-whitewall.html

They are expensive and may or may not wear more quickly -- I've heard differing stories from different people. But it is as close as you can come, I think to what were on the early cars when they left the factory.

But reading the discussion might be helpful to you: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=324920

IMPORTANT NOTE!!!!! Be sure to read what Tram has to say about correct tire pressure.

Corporations are not people.

Money is not speech.

flatlander
I'm New!

Post by flatlander » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:31 pm

whc03grady's wife here,

Tram also says this in the link you posted:
Coker tires are notorious for wearing out relatively quickly. 30,000 miles is about "it" from what I've read. You can get better tires for less money but they'll be blackwalls. So, if the whitewall look is that important, go with the Cokers. It won't be that big of a deal unless you're going to use the car as a year round daily driver.
The '71 Squareback is, and will remain, our daily driver. But I'm diggin' the whitewalls. It'd be my first choice to have whitewalls, all other things being equal (including price). Is your Type 3 your daily driver? Or do you put a lot of miles on it regularly? I'm curious to how those whitewalls are holding up.

-Melissa

MeyerII
IAC Addict!

Post by MeyerII » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:27 pm

flatlander wrote:whc03grady's wife here,

Tram also says this in the link you posted:
Coker tires are notorious for wearing out relatively quickly. 30,000 miles is about "it" from what I've read. You can get better tires for less money but they'll be blackwalls. So, if the whitewall look is that important, go with the Cokers. It won't be that big of a deal unless you're going to use the car as a year round daily driver.
The '71 Squareback is, and will remain, our daily driver. But I'm diggin' the whitewalls. It'd be my first choice to have whitewalls, all other things being equal (including price). Is your Type 3 your daily driver? Or do you put a lot of miles on it regularly? I'm curious to how those whitewalls are holding up.

-Melissa
Yes, exactly on the wear - but I meant it on the "may or may not": you'll see later in the discussion where somebody else notes that since these are BFG (built to BF Goodrich spec) tires, the wear isn't an issue. I think the fast wear applies only to standard Cokers.

My Type 3 is my toy, not my daily driver, so it only gets driven once a week - only long-distance driving is to shows. With five good tires in rotation, I figure that they'll last forever.

But I'm trying to get the car as close as possible to factory spec. You can save good coin going with something in a more available size - but as to what that is, I can't say.

Corporations are not people.

Money is not speech.