Let there be heat!

Fastback, Squareback, Notchback, T-3 Karmann Ghia.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Adventurewagen
IAC Addict!

Let there be heat!

Post by Adventurewagen » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:46 am

Well, we've finally entered fall here in the Northwest. I've been waking up to dew in the mornings and temps in the 50's. I know it's not that cold, but still enough to give you a chill and make your windows impossible to see out of.

Anyway my notches heater lines aren't connected. Everything is there minus some sort of cotter pin I think linking the wire/lever connection to the heater flap lever. The wires though are too long for the drivers side and too short for the passenger and I've never figured out if they aren't routed correctly or can be adjusted maybe in the dash. Either way I broke down this morning and wired the flaps open before heading off to work.

Dang! The heater in my car is hot!!! I forgot how stinking hot it can make it in the car, I even had to crack the vent window.

So I guess if I had a question out of all of this it would be if anyone has adjusted the heater cables or put in new ones in their T3 and if you knew why mine seemed to be the wrong lengths and if I could adjust them.
63 Gulf Blue Notch
71 Sierra Yellow Adventurewagen
DjEep wrote:Velo? Are you being "over-run"? Do you need to swim through a sea of Mexican anchor-babies to get to your bus in the morning?
:wav:

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:23 am

Pull the cables out and re-run them, you may have the left cable in the tube to the right heaterbox and vice-versa. I did that in my Bug once.

Failing that, replace the cables with new ones. In the meantime, if the heat with teh boxes wired open is too much, just don't open them as much. :cyclopsani:

Adventurewagen
IAC Addict!

Post by Adventurewagen » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:18 am

I think I'll pull them like you suggest and re-run them. I bet thats why one is too long and the other not long enough.

You know if the replacement wires will fit an early notch?
63 Gulf Blue Notch
DjEep wrote:Velo? Are you being "over-run"? Do you need to swim through a sea of Mexican anchor-babies to get to your bus in the morning?

tristessa

Post by tristessa » Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:19 pm

Adventurewagen wrote:You know if the replacement wires will fit an early notch?
Probably not. Early T3's had the heat control flaps in the boxes where the ducts attach to the body, late cars had the control flaps on the heaterboxes. And I don't know if early cables are even available -- the only ones I found with a quickie search at busdepot.com, and while they're listed as fitting '66-73 T3, they've got a 133-prefix (superbeetle) part number.

Martin may know what fits, and whether or not the early cables are available. If you strike out there, check with Greg @ Vintage Warehouse in NorCal, Bill & Steves down in SoCal, or Type3Detectives in the UK. I just don't know the early cars that well .. most of the early ones I saw at the DDB shop I either never got too good a look at, was too busy with other stuff to pay attention, or were work-in-progress rides like Brook's abomination. :geek:

Adventurewagen
IAC Addict!

Post by Adventurewagen » Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:12 am

Thanks, I'll call up Martin and see what he has to say. You are correct though that the early models had a different flap, more like a little door inside the tube.

It was pretty funny the other day on the way home. Coming into work lately has been nice and cool if not cold but with the dew on the windows the heat was a requirement and felt good yesterday morning but...

On the way home when it heated up to about 75 out the car got so stinking hot on the way home I felt like I was nearly going to have to pass out! I got home all sweaty and red in the face from the heat. Today Im going to have to pop the heater doors closed again so I don't melt.

The early cars are definately difficult to find items for. Window cranks, e-brake boot, dashes, knobs, brake parts and interior are all impossible to find. The car drives great though and I've mostly got only cosmetic parts left to bring it back to stock. I even have a NOS muffler WITH preheat tube sitting in my garage waiting for the day when I find a NOS or good condition manifold with butterfly valve.
63 Gulf Blue Notch

TheDDB
I'm New!

Post by TheDDB » Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:35 am

Evan-

The heater cables that you are looking for [if you are still looking for ] are 63 t1
Early t3's used a few t1 bits, and the heater cable is one of them.
but the cable still might not fit the later heater boxes.
Its a type 3 not a VOLVO,or a "BUG"

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:06 am

tristessa wrote: Early T3's had the heat control flaps in the boxes where the ducts attach to the body, late cars had the control flaps on the heaterboxes.
Hey Hal, do all TIIIs have that trick thermostat deal in the ducts? The mixer valves to make sure the heat wasn't too hot?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

tristessa

Post by tristessa » Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:25 am

Amskeptic wrote:Hey Hal, do all TIIIs have that trick thermostat deal in the ducts? The mixer valves to make sure the heat wasn't too hot?
I *think* so, but at this point I can't say for sure .. haven't dug that deeply into a T3 in about a year and I just don't remember with certainty. If I get a day off in the next couple weeks without Portland being subjected to freezing temperatures, rain, or freezing rain I'll crawl under my Fasty and take a look as a memory-refresher.

I really need to get the garage cleared out so I've got a better place to work on the car .. mebbe then I'll actually get *working* on it. heh. :cyclopsani:
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:21 pm

tristessa wrote:
If I get a day off in the next couple weeks without Portland being subjected to freezing temperatures, rain, or freezing rain I'll crawl under my Fasty and take a look as a memory-refresher.
My condolences for your weather. . . . it was 58* and sunny to day in Atlanta.
Remember when it was 104* at phj's? Yeah, those were the days.

I look forward to hearing what you find. If you find any side trim strips and clips, please let me know. Did all pastel blue Type III's have black interiors?
Colin

covelo
Old School!

Post by covelo » Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:17 pm

My Marina Blue Squareback has a blue interior! Also, I second the comment about the heat being bloody hot. If there is some kind of thermostat trying to keep it cool, I don't think mine works. Five minutes with the heater lever full open and it literally is like a sauna in there. I wish my bus had half the heat my Squareback has.
‘80 Vanagon Westfalia - 54,400 miles
'91 Toyota Pickup (4WD long bed) - 199,960 miles
1987 Alfa Spider Veloce - 166,400 miles
2017 VW E-Golf - 5,600 miles

baygeek
Getting Hooked!

Post by baygeek » Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:51 pm

Amskeptic wrote: Did all pastel blue Type III's have black interiors?
Colin
my Marina Blue had a Navy Blue interior, while my Cobalt Blue had a white interior...
just another crow...
Amskeptic wrote: Well, even though we have these pesky visitor crows who come swooping in to caw about hypocrisy! hypocrisy!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:04 pm

baygeek wrote:
Colin
my Marina Blue had a Navy Blue interior, while my Cobalt Blue had a white interior...
So in the interest of maintaining originality, I need to stick with the Navy Blue interior even though I really want the white interior as found on the cobalt blue exteriors. . . . unless I cheat.

I remember a very fine '69 cobalt blue/white squareback that endured my first ever clutch job when I was 17. Were there any white interior squarebacks in '71? and if so, what was the exterior color? I look forward to getting back into a Squareback.
Colin

baygeek
Getting Hooked!

Post by baygeek » Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:26 am

Amskeptic wrote:
baygeek wrote:
Colin
So in the interest of maintaining originality, I need to stick with the Navy Blue interior even though I really want the white interior as found on the cobalt blue exteriors. . . . unless I cheat.

I remember a very fine '69 cobalt blue/white squareback that endured my first ever clutch job when I was 17. Were there any white interior squarebacks in '71? and if so, what was the exterior color? I look forward to getting back into a Squareback.
Colin

after '70, I am not sure if the white was still an option...
just another crow...
Amskeptic wrote: Well, even though we have these pesky visitor crows who come swooping in to caw about hypocrisy! hypocrisy!

tristessa

Post by tristessa » Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:35 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
My condolences for your weather. . . . it was 58* and sunny to day in Atlanta.
Remember when it was 104* at phj's? Yeah, those were the days.

I look forward to hearing what you find. If you find any side trim strips and clips, please let me know. Did all pastel blue Type III's have black interiors?
Colin
I distinctly remember that day .. 104* and I was wearing all black. Haven't had a chance to check yet, hopefully later today I'll have an opportunity .. much ratkilling & errands today.

Which side trim, the beltline or the rocker trim? Clips for the original rocker trim aren't available new and used ones are tricky 'cuz they like to break during removal, though IIRC one of the T3 listees found a functional substitute .. that I can't remember where it came from.

The beltline molding is much easier; clips are the same as Bug and easy to get. DDB has ( .. or *had*) a stash of decent used trim if you want original, and the reproduction trim from ISPWest that I worked with was nice; I'd use it on my own car if I didn't have a good complete set of OG trim already.
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:14 pm

I will be needing the rear quarter panel beltline moulding.
First job is to do an oil change then detail the entire chassis back to "standard" repairing all that needs it, then detail interior + headliner, and then rubbing out the exterior paint to within an inch of its life. Otherwise, I have been told it is running fine. I love a good Squareback.
Colin