Engine Out - Engine In

Fastback, Squareback, Notchback, T-3 Karmann Ghia.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Engine Out - Engine In

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:15 pm

What the heck I sez, it is a nice day and if I don't escape the forum for a little break I might end up with no friends left, right Scott? So at noon, I left Starbucks with my grumpy pissed-off mood about lousy aftermarket parts and went to the storage facility where the Squareback sits waiting for adventure. I know, why not remove the Squareback's engine to try to get rid of the horrible vibration that starts at off-idle and comes back in at 3,000 + RPM? At 12:45PM, I had the FI harness disconnected from the brain and laying across the engine, the oil filler and air intake boots free, the fuel hoses off (you do not need to block them off) and the generator/coil/reverse lamp wires safely tucked away:

At 1:30PM, the engine is on the jack, the transaxle has a 30# cylinder of R-22 and my laser thermometer as a shim underneath it, all engine carrier and bell housing bolts are off and I slide the floor jack back just enough to clear the input shaft and drop that sucker down.

At 2:00PM, I have the pressure plate off and my silly ass idea has been laid to waste. What silly ass idea? The idea that if you have a non-indexed pressure plate and flywheel (from its clutch job before I bought it) you can guess a decent match-point by placing the balance drill holes in the flywheel and pressure plate across from each other. Ah, that idea apparently didn't work last February when I dropped the engine to try to get rid of this vibration and detail the engine compartment. As a matter of fact, the vibration has been worse since then. I figured I had it so horrible now that I accidentally stumbled across the max-bad point, and a pretty good chance of curing it today by rotating the pressure plate 180* from where I put it last February:

The engine was so close to the bell housing that I had to align the clutch disk with a mirror when I re-installed the pressure plate. With a little help from the sun reflecting up in there, I was able to eyeball-center the disk pretty good. At 4:00PM, I started the engine and lo! smoooooth as the engine revs up and down. Took it out on the Georgia 400 for a blast up to 70-75, what a nice plucky little car, my baby Porsche wannabee.
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:33 pm

That's a peach of a little car, good thing ya left it Georgia.

Seriously, she looks great.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Re: Engine Out - Engine In

Post by hambone » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:25 pm

I see you've been thru this procedure before!
-milkingthetype3section
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:53 pm

hambone wrote:I see you've been thru this procedure before!
-milkingthetype3section
Yes, and I will do it again when you get me a nice transaxle with quiet gears. I will load it in the TBRRupturedDuck and spirit it back to the barn in upstate NY.
Colin

Bizzle
I'm New!

Post by Bizzle » Tue May 29, 2012 12:26 pm

that easy to remove these suckers huh?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:56 am

Bizzle wrote:that easy to remove these suckers huh?
. . . try it. Report back with your impressions . . . and photographs.
Colin