New Owner, 70' Fasty

Fastback, Squareback, Notchback, T-3 Karmann Ghia.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

wdollie6
Getting Hooked!

Re: New Owner, 70' Fasty

Post by wdollie6 » Sat May 16, 2020 6:03 am

Guests are never a problem, let me know when your schedule falls in place. The only calendar item for September is my daughter's wedding, if allowable by then...

wdollie6
Getting Hooked!

Post by wdollie6 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:00 am

So started working on reupholstering the rear seats, fun job vs. welding, etc. Waited more than 5 weeks for delivery of TMI square weave (apparently they produce only once they have a confirmed order), product seemed to be okay although difficult to determine until install starts. Unfortunately during install of the rear, back seat found that the fit was not acceptable, not possible to "stretch" to make it work either (it was 85 degrees out at the time). The distance between the vinyl strip (tucks into flange at back top of seat) and the step out on either side of the seat was at least 1.5 to 2 inches short. After doing 3 previous VWs with their product I realize the fit is tight, but never to the point of having to rip the material, obviously stopped short of doing that. To check the issue I attempted to fit the cover installing the bottom first, the fit to step out was perfect but obviously not enough material to tuck the vinyl, confirmed that the cover was made incorrectly.

I checked dimensions against my original (which was dirty but in good shape) and confirmed again that the cover was way too short. Contacted TMI more than a week ago and finally receive a reply that I would be receiving and RMA (a little disappointed that they didn't call to discuss), problem being that I have already installed the arm rest cover which requires poking holes in it for the rod. Hopefully they don't use this as a reason to reject a return as I see no reason to pull the arm rest apart, the fit is okay. I do note that they do not included the weave on both sides of the arm rest like the original, only on the side that shows when the arm is up, I suppose I can live with that.

Will advise as to outcome. Still haven't checked other covers, rear bottom and front seats, hopefully they are okay. Also note that I ordered the carpet from JBugs but it was TMI built. They sent me the entirely wrong carpet set, although I have to say JBugs was very responsive, within a day they shipped out the correct product, including a prepaid return, thank you JBugs.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:42 am

wdollie6 wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:00 am
reupholstering the rear seats, product seemed to be okay although difficult to determine until install starts. Unfortunately during install of the rear, back seat found that the fit was not acceptable, not possible to "stretch" to make it work.
I ordered the carpet from JBugs but it was TMI built. They sent me the entirely wrong carpet set, although I have to say JBugs was very responsive, within a day they shipped out the correct product, including a prepaid return, thank you JBugs.

I have found tight dimensions on seat upholstery and decided they were trying to prevent wrinkles or sags. I sit on each surface with all of my weight to compress the springs, then get the attachment points squared away. Are you saying the cut-outs for the hinges were too high up?

TMI ... "annoying customers for over twenty years now!"
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,660 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 206,845 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 118,840 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,570 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 89,009 miles