Valve clearance

Fastback, Squareback, Notchback, T-3 Karmann Ghia.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Jaffa
I'm New!

Valve clearance

Post by Jaffa » Sat May 30, 2015 1:49 am

Hi,
My son and I have just bought a 1970 1600TL Fastback automatic. This is originally from Australia and originally Signal Orange, now red.
We have a bit to do such as replace both outer sills and some other small rust patches.

First off though we want it to run right. Carb tuning etc to do. Starting with valve clearances, what is the best way to rotate the engine anti-clockwise to do this?. I can't get to the fan to grip it and rotate it. I did notice that the timing hole in the cooling tin is ovaled, could this be by sticking a screwdriver in here and using this to lever the fan round?

Craig
Craig

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Valve clearance

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:39 am

Jaffa wrote:Hi,
My son and I have just bought a 1970 1600TL Fastback automatic. This is originally from Australia and originally Signal Orange, now red.
We have a bit to do such as replace both outer sills and some other small rust patches.

First off though we want it to run right. Carb tuning etc to do. Starting with valve clearances, what is the best way to rotate the engine anti-clockwise to do this?. I can't get to the fan to grip it and rotate it. I did notice that the timing hole in the cooling tin is ovaled, could this be by sticking a screwdriver in here and using this to lever the fan round?

Craig
Get a 21mm? box or open end wrench on the generator pulley and press the belt down as you rotate the engine. We don't do pry that damages priceless German tins and priceless German balance and true-ness of the fan assembly.

Enjoy that car.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Jaffa
I'm New!

Post by Jaffa » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:27 am

Thanks Colin,

I was thinking as much. I'll have to straighten the tinware around that hole. I'm going to get one of those new fangled ratchet ring spanners.

Interestingly Muir says to lever the pulley through the hole??

Also ordered a pair of outer sills tonight from ISP, sorted a local panel beater here who is a VW man!!

Craig
Craig

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:34 pm

Jaffa wrote: Interestingly Muir says to lever the pulley through the hole??
Craig
Muir could afford to be a pragmatic when VW dealers were just around the corner and these cars were as ubiquitous as bedbugs.

Now they are precious and dealers are hostile to or ignorant of air-cooled VWs.

You are a curator of history now.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles