New Owner, 70' Fasty

Fastback, Squareback, Notchback, T-3 Karmann Ghia.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

wdollie6
Getting Hooked!

Re: New Owner, 70' Fasty

Post by wdollie6 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:53 am

Apologize for the delay in response, Master Series. I wire brush first, use a rust converter, followed by a coat of Master Series then seam sealer followed by a second coat of Master Series. Hopefully this will make for a long lasting solution towards eliminating future rust.

Colin this boxed in section is completely inaccessible until it rusts through somewhere. On the inside is the bumper mount, on the outside is the air intake/water drain area. All of the rust holes are around and under the bumper mount. I will figure out how to access, in the mean time have rust converted away from the area I will have to weld and use seam seal and Master Series accordingly. Once I return to NY from Florida I will finish up the patch welding, I hope. Still have the spare tire area in the front to weld up as well.

By the way if you have no fall plans to travel in NY in October I will pull the body and make sure all rust holes have been addressed.

wdollie6
Getting Hooked!

Post by wdollie6 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:44 pm

Didn't realize these had lights for the rear hatch, first found the switch then the light, well hidden. Attempted to remove the light but only could pop one side, left it alone for now as I didn't want to crack the lens. Switch is frozen so that will need some love as well. After a little investigation elsewhere it appears this only goes on if the headlights are on?
Fasty Hatch Light.jpg
Fasty Hatch Light.jpg (1.49 MiB) Viewed 289 times
Fasty Rear Hatch Light.jpg
Fasty Rear Hatch Light.jpg (1.15 MiB) Viewed 289 times
Fasty Hatch Light Switch.jpg
Fasty Hatch Light Switch.jpg (1.53 MiB) Viewed 289 times

wdollie6
Getting Hooked!

Post by wdollie6 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:46 pm

... yes I know the lens is already cracked (like that when I found it). Hopefully can remove in one piece and repair in some fashion.

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:11 am

Huh, thanks for the tidbit on the trunk light operation! Pretty cool feature to..... save wire?

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

wdollie6
Getting Hooked!

Post by wdollie6 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:04 pm

Robbie, I assume it has more to do with safety, ensures tail lights are on if you have to stop, get out and open the hatch? Whatever the reason nice to have, although not sure it works as I have the electrical torn apart at the moment (in reality the entire care is parts and pieces). Hopefully by spring will be ready to paint and finish up, in the mean time working on odds and ends and continuing weld repairs. Will pull body in next month or so to ensure I've addressed all rust areas.