Super or Standard

Beetle, Karmann Ghia, Thing.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Super or Standard

Post by RussellK » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:11 am

Other than macpherson struts on the super and a beam on the standard what are the other differences? It seems like the standards are held in higher esteem, but why? I keep passing on some fairly decently priced supers but am I selling them short?

sped372
IAC Addict!

Re: Super or Standard

Post by sped372 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:52 am

Supers seem to be less desireable to the collector crowd. Seriously, though, I think it's about as close to driving a modern car as you can get in an ACVW (if all the front-end parts are in good order). They don't have as much investment potential but if you just want something to tool around in there's nothing wrong with them. Everything rearward of the dashboard is the same.
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

zabo
Old School!

Post by zabo » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:29 am

its aesthetics mostly- the short nose and more bulbous look doesn't help the beetles lines.
But the later supers are also known to have some quality issues.
Mainly inferior paint and metal that leads to a lot of rust issues.

and while the front suspension may make for a better ride replacement parts are a good deal more expensive.

I'd get a 73 standard. Image
60 beetle
78 bus

bajaman72
Addicted!

Post by bajaman72 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:29 pm

I used to have a 73 SB, but the front end was pretty shaky and Alot of rust issues. I also currently own a 73 standard (Baja) and even with issues wasn't as hard as driving the super. I would imagine if you could find a decent one for a song, grab it. Fat Chicks need love too ;)
Windshield is curved on super
Dashboard is different on super
1968 Karmann Ghia - Driver
1969 Transporter - Project
1959 Karmann Ghia - Full Race Car

VWBusrepairman
IAC Addict!

Post by VWBusrepairman » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:56 am

I have a '72 Super that is my daily driver- smooth ride, looks like a standard with its flat windshield. I like it, but all the worn parts have been replaced up front, so it doesn't have the super beetle "shimmy" that some suffer from.

For an all around, good riding driver on the streets, the '71 and '72 supers are my favorite. I have a '71 'vert, so I have the best of both worlds.

I didn't like the dash of the '73 and later supers.
1968-1979 VW bus sunroof consulting, type IV engine analysis, QA technical work

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:16 am

RussellK wrote:It seems like the standards are held in higher esteem, but why?
The torsion bar front suspension on the standards is part of the "Volkswagen Recipe".
MacPherson strut suspension appeared to be a sop to the modern econobox.

Fact is, the MacPherson strut suspension does make the car handle better, but it is more frail. As a marketing move, the SuperBeetle did help at the time, it really did have a bigger trunk. The '73 SuperBeetle with the curved windshield really did help open up the interior in ways that the market responded to. Notice that modern Beetles are up to an acre and a half of dashboard between driver and glass.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Kubelwagen
Addicted!

Post by Kubelwagen » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:19 am

I had (and miss very much) a 71 Super. It was a really fun ride, once we got the strut sorted. Went round and round on that, but once fixed it never gave us a hint of trouble again. The trunk was bigger and *I* didn't think she had a big nose!

So, if you find one you like....
Patience the 81 Adventurewagen

VWBusrepairman
IAC Addict!

Post by VWBusrepairman » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:21 am

I was lucky enough to locate a used steering box/ shaft and replaced my worn unit with very good results! Not a difficult job either. The car rides and steers nice and smoothly now.

I also picked up a '68 beetle on Friday, bringing the total to 3 red beetles now. :cherry:
1968-1979 VW bus sunroof consulting, type IV engine analysis, QA technical work

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:41 am

I had a 70 Super Beetle, flat windshield. It had up front issues, and was my first VW so they never did get fixed. Hit a pothole on the right front wheel and you may end up in the ditch. It was a lot of fun to drive though, but was a Florida Bug and had rust-a-plenty. I sold it for exactly what I had in it, $1000 in 1998.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:47 am

Sylvester wrote:I had a 71 Super Beetle, flat windshield. It had up front issues, and was my first VW so they never did get fixed. Hit a pothole on the right front wheel and you may end up in the ditch. It was a lot of fun to drive though, but was a Florida Bug and had rust-a-plenty. I sold it for exactly what I had in it, $1000 in 1998.
* They were introduced in 1971.
editor
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:49 am

Amskeptic wrote:
Sylvester wrote:I had a 71 Super Beetle, flat windshield. It had up front issues, and was my first VW so they never did get fixed. Hit a pothole on the right front wheel and you may end up in the ditch. It was a lot of fun to drive though, but was a Florida Bug and had rust-a-plenty. I sold it for exactly what I had in it, $1000 in 1998.
* They were introduced in 1971.
editor
Ah well I should have known, I was there. Indeed it was a 71 model year, but it was made in October 70 per the tag on the door. Technicalities for sure.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

vdubzen
Getting Hooked!

Post by vdubzen » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:43 pm

My daughter loves her 73 super. i mean how many people can say their car was stolen, used in a bank robbery as the get away car, and then even get the car back.

we have replaced the tie rods, bushings, and steering damper. the struts as well as shocks are next on the list.
1960 Karmann Ghia
1968 Deluxe Microbus
1973 Super Beetle
1974 Beetle

president, AAAVWclub.com

Bugman58
I'm New!

Post by Bugman58 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:53 pm

The Standard is a more durable car, my own thought over the years is if you look at a Super 'vert vs a standard 'vert you will notice on the Supers ill-fitting doors among other things. As the vehicles get more miles the McPherson strut which is tied into the body and thus causes more body flex, whereas the standard beetle with the suspension tied into the pan makes for less total body flex. That being said, the body style of the standard beetle from '67 on up still retain the look of the early beetle, as well as the spartan feeling of a typical bug. Though the Super was an attempt to make the bug bigger, and a more american feel, flat space for spare tire = more luggage and a slightly roomier feel, to the purist it didn't quite cut the cake. Standards all the way for me.

2 '67 ghias
'58 t-1
'67 t-1
'71 Westy
'80 Rabbit Convertible
'87 Westy

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:43 pm

Supers handle very nicely when everything is in order up front, but are shaky beasts if not. When buying anything less than a cream puff, expect to do at least struts, idler arm bushing and strut bearings, and likely ball joints and springs. And I don't like how the non-rack front ends steer at low speed. Towards the extremes of turning they all seem to kinda want to whip all the way to the extreme.

Give me a standard any day.

Oh, and gas line replacement or fuel sender replacement requires pulling the tank.
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

grandfatherjim
Addicted!

Post by grandfatherjim » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:19 pm

We have a 72 SB vert and I replaced the steering box, front two springs (BOTH were BROKEN), strut inserts, tie rod ends, and tires, and now all is well. Lucky me, many of these parts were included in the deal so not too expensive, just a time consuming job. Rides just fine thank you and although we don't have a Standard Beetle in the fleet in exactly the same condition with which to do a fair apples-apples comparison, I can't see how this is an inferior vehicle. Bring it back to how it was designed and like magic it handles just fine.