Few minors when I went to get tires.

Beetle, Karmann Ghia, Thing.

Moderators: Amskeptic, Sluggo

VWGirl
Getting Hooked!

Re: Few minors when I went to get tires.

Post by VWGirl » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:57 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

can't you just use an old drum to balance them? I guess that the drum could throw off the weight though... but i thought i had heard of something like that being done before. Only wide 5 I have is my thing, and I got my tires at Coker tire in Chattanooga. They are known for making weird tires tho

bajaman72
Addicted!

Post by bajaman72 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:22 pm

Thanks Neal. I'll lower the fronts some and see how she feels. Definatley gonna have to play with it to get it to my liking. BTW, it's a Baja with different size fronts and rears.
Projects:
1972 Deluxe Transporter (2nd Driver) 2.0L - 091, dual Dells, Bug Pack exhaust. Camper Converted
1973 Baja (another 2nd Driver &Toy) Stock 1600 DP, dual Kadrons, Stinger

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Post by steve74baywin » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:44 am

bajaman72 wrote:Thanks Neal. I'll lower the fronts some and see how she feels. Definatley gonna have to play with it to get it to my liking. BTW, it's a Baja with different size fronts and rears.
I think you need to add some to the rear.
VW specs was about 28 front and 40 rear.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:01 pm

bajaman72 wrote:Thanks Neal. I'll lower the fronts some and see how she feels. Definitely gonna have to play with it to get it to my liking. BTW, it's a Baja with different size fronts and rears.
Even with different sizes, or different widths, you need the lower front/higher rear pressures for handling. If you have huge mudders, pressures will be less still.
Beetles are so light in the front, that anything more than 20-24 is going to wear the center treads down.
Colin
BobD - 1978 Bus . . . . . . . . . . .111,130 miles
Chloe - 1970 bus . . . . . . . . . . . 206,787 miles
Naranja - 1977 Westfalia . . . . . 93,996 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . 55,510 miles
Alexus - 1991 Lexus LS400 . . . 72,113 miles

bajaman72
Addicted!

Post by bajaman72 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:31 pm

Yup. Big Mud Dawgs in the back. I've lowered the pressure to 25psi all the way around and WOW! What a difference!! No longer am I hanging on for dear life when I hit a bump or if the wind is blowing. I get pretty good winds here (notice the windmills Colin?) that will blow semi's over on occasion. This weekend I'll try 20 front and mabey 30 rear.
Projects:
1972 Deluxe Transporter (2nd Driver) 2.0L - 091, dual Dells, Bug Pack exhaust. Camper Converted
1973 Baja (another 2nd Driver &Toy) Stock 1600 DP, dual Kadrons, Stinger