Engine for $75

Beetle, Karmann Ghia, Thing.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

nakedfrog
Getting Hooked!

Engine for $75

Post by nakedfrog » Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:18 pm

Someone just posted a few VW engines for sale on our local craigslist.
One of them is a B6 code, which seems to be a 1970 1600 Single Port (dual relief)
I'm looking for something to rebuild for my Beetle, a 1973 Super with an AK code engine in it.
This is the full text of the ad:
Up for sale are the following long blocks, listed by serial number:
H 5 629 XXX, disassembled, has 87mm pistons

H 0 533 XXX, disassembled, 83mm pistons

B 6 190 XXX, assembled, crank turns but with effort

F 0 660 XXX, assembled

H 5 675 XXX, assembled

First two have been disassembled and cases cleaned up. Last two are dirty/dusty from sitting outside. Overall they are in decent shape and are good candidates for rebuilds.

Asking 75 each, or offer.
[/quote]
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." - Ford Prefect

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Engine for $75

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:07 pm

nakedfrog wrote:One of them is a B6 code, which seems to be a 1970 1600 Single Port (dual relief)
The garden variety B engines are not good candidates for a dual port 60 gross HP engine as your '73 bug would like to have. The B case was old magnesium alloy composition and was a member of the #3 spigot crankcase crack brigade with the old head stud rip. Chances are good it is case-saved and all, but I would be more inclined to search an AE engine or later with the buttressed case and the modified composition that was introduced in 1971. It *is* charming to pull a silk purse out of a pig's ear, however, and if you want to have shadetree fun with your rebuild, just check things out carefully and have fun. But if you are doing a serious rebuild, there are later cases that are more rugged and fresher. Magnesium hardens over time.
Colin
Colin