Free beetle

Beetle, Karmann Ghia, Thing.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Free beetle

Post by Gypsie » Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:17 am

Now that I have your attention, here's what I am talking about.

I have been wanting to get into a beetle project (in other words something cheap that I can build up into a nice runner). My wife thinks they are cute and it would, hopefully, get better mileage than the vanagon.
I have the opportunity to have, ("come and take it off my property") a 1971 superbeetle. good body, good brakes, suspension, no cancer, good glass (needs windshield), needs rear fender, apron, and, (here are the big ones), an engine, tranny, and half axles?.

like I said, I was looking for a project that I could get a nice beetle out of.

Here's my question...

Is this a money pit venture? I have tools and the gumption to find parts to start assembling an engine and tranny but haven't started researching costs and availablilty.
I have been wandering through the type 2 and van forums. Just wanted to get a sense from some beetle folk. should I take it? Will I be able to get the stuff, (at a reasonable price).

I know this is pretty vague and relative. I have some time, very little money, and a desire to have a challenge.

What do you think.
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:54 pm

I am not going to speak market-talk. Do you like it? Does it have the attitude sitting there? Overall sense of having been cared-for or are there dog teeth marks on the seatbelt anchors? Headliner good? All parts on body mostly there?

Super-beetles actually handle and ride pretty well, but you do need to make sure the MacPherson front suspension is tight and solid. They have a reputation for shimmies. These cars commonly sit low in the back as the rear torsion bars settle and the front coils don't.

I liked the pre-73 Superbeetles because they had an in-your-face Jimmy Durante schnozz that was only toned down with the curved windshields introduced in 1973. I also liked the '71's for their old-style steering wheels. A beautifully painted and turned out Superbeetle can sit proudly with any other VW at the show. I would stay away from any of the cheesy "special" wheels that came out later. The stock wheels silver with chrome hubcaps were just as handsome as any.
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:32 pm

Amskeptic wrote: Headliner good? All parts on body mostly there?
No and yes. Have not had a first hand view yet. I hear that the headliner has 1 bad spot. and all the upholstery on the seats is bad from a cat living in it while it sat.

but you do need to make sure the MacPherson front suspension is tight and solid. They have a reputation for shimmies. These cars commonly sit low in the back as the rear torsion bars settle and the front coils don't.
Again I hear that these things are in good condition. I am hoping to take Tristessa with me to give it the once over. The biggest bonus comes from the fact that this is from amy brother inlaw (and from what I can tell he likes me.) :geek:
I would stay away from any of the cheesy "special" wheels that came out later. The stock wheels silver with chrome hubcaps were just as handsome as any

I hear there are alloys all around.

I am getting antzy and will probably do it. I figure if I can get it together for $500-$1000 I'm doing good and will have a sweet rig.

Thanks Colin. Your perspective and guidance is very appreciated.
(sorry if I am being presumptuous by calling you Colin. I hear your name alot lately (Wayne, Hal, Jasan) Some guys I have been hanging with since my inaugural venture into the vw subculture at the Deschutes river run earlier this year)
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

TexasAirCooler
Getting Hooked!

Post by TexasAirCooler » Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:12 pm

As this is my first post on this here site... Hello to all.
To stick in my 2 bits on the super.
First.... I'm a standard beetle man when it comes to bugs.
But if I were to own another super, a free '71 superbeetle wouldn't be a too bad of a deal. I've owned a'74 super and I will never ever own a super later than '72 again. Bay windshields are for buses!
Amskeptic wrote:I liked the pre-73 Superbeetles because they had an in-your-face Jimmy Durante schnozz that was only toned down with the curved windshields introduced in 1973. I also liked the '71's for their old-style steering wheels. A beautifully painted and turned out Superbeetle can sit proudly with any other VW at the show.
Gotta agree with that.
Terry

'65 bus • restore project

"Heroes don't wear capes. They wear dog tags."

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:01 am

BeetleWarrior wrote: I will never ever own a super later than '72 again.
Bay windshields are for buses!
Welcome to the IAC world. Why would you never own a curved windshield Superbeetle? Cheesy crap interior quality? Junky plastic switches? Warpy cardboard dashboard? Or just the looks? I like the looks of the later Superbeetles. I like the looks of all of the air-cooled VWs. I am soft in the head that way.
(you can call me "Colin," Gypsie. . . . . it's my name)
Colin

TexasAirCooler
Getting Hooked!

Post by TexasAirCooler » Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:01 pm

Amskeptic wrote:Why would you never own a curved windshield Superbeetle? Cheesy crap interior quality? Junky plastic switches? Warpy cardboard dashboard? Or just the looks?
I think you just about covered it. I've had several standard bugs, enjoyed them all in one way or another. I had only one super. I'm going to stand on that number. There are some things that hurt the first time and are not worth trying again.
Hope to have my bus home by the first of the year. (long story) Anyway, it is my first one.
Amskeptic wrote:(you can call me "Colin," Gypsie. . . . . it's my name)
Colin
Hello Colin...
I thought the name of the person that started the post was Gypsie... I'm lost
Terry

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:15 pm

BeetleWarrior wrote: I thought the name of the person that started the post was Gypsie... I'm lost
Naw, I was just answering Gypsie's reply in the response to your post to economize.
Colin

TexasAirCooler
Getting Hooked!

Post by TexasAirCooler » Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:43 pm

Oh... Yea, I knew that.
He,he...
Terry

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:55 am

I had a '73 Super, it was great. Underneath all the "newness" it was just a Beetle....
I do prefer standard Beetles, but who cares merely about estetic?
Keep your eyes peeled on Craigslist etc I see many complete but not running Beetles for around 300 dollahs. Maybe you can get the free one for parts?
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat