Broken Injectors

Beetle, Karmann Ghia, Thing.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Broken Injectors

Post by dtrumbo » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:24 am

Is this bad?

These photos are of the #3 injector, but #2 is broken the same way. Will this affect their spray pattern? Should they be replaced or can I use them as they are? The reason I removed them was to replace the obvious cracked and dry seals. I'm thinking the new seals will end up on new injectors. NOT what I wanted to spend money on right now. :angryfire:
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:31 am

I would think you could still use them but the spray pattern wouldn't be optimal. Instead of buying new ones you could always send them out to Cruzin Performance to be rebuilt for about $16 a piece. Turn around is usually pretty quick.
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:24 am

Thanks! I shot Rich an e-mail with the pictures. Hopefully he can save me some $$$ repairing them rather than replacing them.
- Dick

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:47 pm

Careful about rebuilding injectors, it might lead to a case of needing a new case :joker:

The rebuild option is a good one. send them all including the cold start. Fresh pintle caps and a good cleaning is worth the $$$
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:18 pm

Gypsie wrote:Careful about rebuilding injectors, it might lead to a case of needing a new case :joker:
That's exactly what I'm afraid of! This "simple" project of fixing an oil leak has turned into replacing all the fuel lines and now getting the injectors fixed. I now believe the original oil leak problem is leaky CV boots. Hopefully those can just be repacked, but at the rate everything else is going, they too might need to be replaced. ](*,)
- Dick

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:20 am

So you've seen the 'before' pictures above. Here's the 'after'.

I can't say enough about Rich Jensen at Cruzin' Performance. He does a fantastic, extremely thorough job including returning the old parts he replaced (remember when this was SOP at repair shops?). He also includes a link to his website where you can see the results of the flow and spray test (both before and after rebuild, did I say he was thorough?). The liquid you see on the closeup is a tiny bit of oil. When he returns them to you, they have a fine mist of oil coating them and they're sealed in a plastic bag so if you're not going to install them right away, they'll stay "fresh" for quite awhile.

I couldn't be happier with his work and I highly recommend him to anyone needing their injectors serviced. Thank you, thank you, thank you Jasan for the referral.

Now back to work on my snowballing oil leak project.
- Dick

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:31 pm

Give us a ballpark of the $$$

When I did the vanagon, I got pretty much the same except he put new fuel line (with crimp on connection) on the inlets (except the CS).

Flow improved dramaticaly according to the testing.

I hand delivered and picked up so there was no shipping.

$125 all told.

Just curious.

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:23 am

All four injectors cleaned, pintles replaced, painted and tested. Cold start valve cleaned and tested. $74.35 including return insured shipping. One new injector from AutohausAZ is about $50.00. I'm happy.

Are we talking about the same guy? Rich is in Michigan. Did you just happen to be in the neighborhood and drop them off?
- Dick

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:33 pm

We have a guy here in Portland, DR. Injector, is the name of his shop. All the dealers, and many of the street racers, in town take their stuff to him. It's in Milwaukie. I posted his name early on in my Rebuild thread. He's a cool old guy with some nice equipment. All he does is injectors, he has been grooming his nephew, a street racer, to take over his business. Hope he keeps the mom and pop feel of the business.

The old man is half deaf. Not surprising cause he has the old school mentality about safety gear. He sits in a 8X12 room with a sub sonic cleaner (easy on the sub heavy on the sonic) running all day with no ear plugs. I could barely hear him when we were chatting in the room.

Sounds like you got a better deal. I was happy to hand over my cash though (cash only, no check, no cards) suppporting this level of the trades.