GEX!!!?!!!! SH!$##@

Beetle, Karmann Ghia, Thing.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

bajaman72
Addicted!

GEX!!!?!!!! SH!$##@

Post by bajaman72 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:44 am

I recently purchased a set of heads off another site. (you can already tell where this is going, huh?) Looks like a nice set of rebuilt heads in the pics. After receiving them, I notices GEX stamped in them! DOH! :pale:
Im assuming if I take em somewhere to get checked out (ported, 3 angle etc..) they should be ok?? They came bare and still need valves. Lemme know if i'd be waistin my green.

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:48 am

Are we talkin type 4 or 1 heads? If type 4 you're prpbably got junk. If type 1 they maybe ok.
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:56 pm

Take them to a machine shop, they'll tell you.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

bajaman72
Addicted!

Post by bajaman72 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:19 pm

They are type 1 heads with no valves.

They will go to the shop as soon as the wife let's me have my allowance for the week ;)

MeyerII
IAC Addict!

Re: GEX!!!?!!!! SH!$##@

Post by MeyerII » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:42 pm

bajaman72 wrote:I recently purchased a set of heads off another site. (you can already tell where this is going, huh?) Looks like a nice set of rebuilt heads in the pics. After receiving them, I notices GEX stamped in them! DOH! :pale:
Im assuming if I take em somewhere to get checked out (ported, 3 angle etc..) they should be ok?? They came bare and still need valves. Lemme know if i'd be waistin my green.
Not necessarily a problem. If your head has original VW casting marks on it, it is likely just a head that passed through GEX hands. They put that damn stamp on everything their foul, stinking hands touch. If it is an OG VW cast that just has 'GEX' stamped on it, no reason to worry overmuch, I think.

Corporations are not people.

Money is not speech.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:51 pm

I had GEX heads rebuilt by a Chicago machine shop, they were fine. 1907 I think it was...
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

bajaman72
Addicted!

Post by bajaman72 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:49 pm

These are 041 dual port heads with 39mm x 32mm valves, cut for 94mm cylinders. The plan is to put these on my current engine im running in the baja now (1600)

MeyerII
IAC Addict!

Post by MeyerII » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:29 pm

I checked with a knowledgeable friend, just to be sure, and I'm glad I did. He said that if it was stamped "GEX", then the head was probably rebuilt/refurbished by GEX. That having been said, they once upon a time did passable work. Not in recent years, certainly. So if you don't know anything about where they came from, you either want to get them checked out or attempt to retrun them.

If you try to return them, I think its fair that you eat the return shipping. But if the seller had mentioned that they were GEX heads, you wouldn't have purchased them, so I think he ought to eat the outbound shipping. In other words, full refund for the heads arriving back at his door.

If he has a problem with that, then I think its reasonable to call him out for it on his feedback. It was pertinent information that was omitted, I think.

Corporations are not people.

Money is not speech.