so I own a 67 beetle - updated 8/17 - also clean!

Beetle, Karmann Ghia, Thing.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

so I own a 67 beetle - updated 8/17 - also clean!

Post by airkooledchris » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:10 pm

So this 67 that ruckman101 found here in my hometown of Eureka is officially signed over to me now. I just paid the owner and picked up the title, as well as about 7 boxes of parts.

original lights, distributor, hub caps, replacement (new in box) interior parts, brakes, you name it and it's probably already there.

In the end, after seeing all of the parts that actually came with it, it was an amazing deal. There has to be a few hundred bucks worth of new parts in boxes, let alone all of the original to this 67 parts that were stowed away over the years.

It's still sitting over in front of the original owners place for now while I arrange the DMV paperwork, insurance/etc, but the fun officially starts now.

At some point this weekend im going to try and photograph/document all of the spares and originals parts that came with it to see what should be put back on and what's better left alone. (those funky original seatbelt mounts came with it, but appear to be just lap belts and no shoulder restraints - something like that I suppose the replacements are best left in place.)

:compress:

finally a beetle owner!
1979 California Transporter

TexasAirCooler
Getting Hooked!

Post by TexasAirCooler » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:31 pm

Looks like a good find. Bugs are fun to drive also. I've had a bug of one year or another around for what seems like forever.

Enjoy.
Terry

'65 bus • restore project

"Heroes don't wear capes. They wear dog tags."

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:01 pm

I loved my 67 beetle in white. It had a hurst shifter and only had about 40K when I got it. That little 1500 was a sweet engine.

4 of us used to put our skis on the roof rack and drive from Ames Iowa to Copper Mountain, CO to go skiing. Tons of fun when there was little money to be had.

I had to sell it when I was in college in 1973 as I needed the dough and had a 71 super at the time.
79 VW Bus

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:49 pm

Alright! Glad it's going to a good home. I wish I wish I wish, but it was just too star-crossed and distance challenged for me, not to mention problematic in terms of storage.

blah blah blah, rationalize, rationalize, rationalize, probably sour anyway. Just kidding about the sour part. May Werner make you proud and vice versa.

Looking forward to a visit and a ride!

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

MeyerII
IAC Addict!

Post by MeyerII » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:43 pm

Great. Now slam it on earlies.
Corporations are not people.

Money is not speech.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: so I own a 67 beetle - now what?

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:10 am

airkooledchris wrote: So this 67 is officially signed over to me now. it was an amazing deal!
Stop the rust! Take a weekend and do the clean clean clean and aerosol rust-catalyzing primer. Later you can get the driver's door pillar reattached to the car . . . . :cyclopsani:

This is a great car in the making, it has a good honest VW spirit.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:13 pm

any specific brand suggestions for the rust product needed?

update.

started taking pictures of the spare parts boxes for identification...

Random brackets?

fuel pumps? USA on left, VW in middle, Brasil on right.

exhaust tips? the little sleeves in front of them the PO said might be part of that same setup.

original carb?

original dist?

pass side mirror? there is none there now.

a horn, some sort of rubber bushings and the bottom left appears to be some sort of bumper/antenna mount?

Also found all new drums and shoes for front and rear still in the box, along with hardware and new lines. New material to recover the seats, including the padding. Clutch and Acc cables, brand new clutch and pressure plate. Assorted window cranks, arm rests, grommets and lots of interior clips (I think) - PO was unsure if some of it was destined for the 71 westy they had, but so far most of it seems to be beetle specific.

Xelmon
Sedna of VW lovers

Post by Xelmon » Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:40 pm

That's a nice looking bug, little TLC and it'll go a long way!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:30 pm

airkooledchris wrote:any specific brand suggestions for the rust product needed?

a horn, some sort of rubber bushings and the bottom left appears to be some sort of bumper/antenna mount?
Whatever works in the rust catalyzing primer department.

Engine mount for a bus and stabilizer bar bushings for a bus in the lower picture. You have some good parts there. The bracket things further up, do they have VW stamp with part numbers?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:03 am

airkooledchris wrote:Image
Random brackets?
Replacement levers for heater-box flaps.
exhaust tips? the little sleeves in front of them the PO said might be part of that same setup.
The sleeves are heater box repair pieces. Meant to be used if/when the ends of the HE that connects to the muffler are damaged.
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:31 am

given the number of heater box related bits and pieces in new condition sitting in these boxes - im guessing the heater boxes have issues. (ya think?)

Thanks for the help with the ID.

The heater box flap levers appear to be generic, came in plain thin brown cardboard boxes with no obvious stampings to speak of.

so far new front and rear drums, shoes and cylinders have been installed.
parts-wise however we only needed a few cylinders, I had one already in the box and all of the shoes/drums.

still waiting to hear back on the pedal assembly R&R and the overall motor tuneup.....

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:51 pm

update: It runs, drives forward and stops.

the whole brake system needed to be redone, most of which I had in boxes but also needed two rear wheel Cylinders and all of the lines (hard and soft.)

The hard line running under/alongide/whatever the center channel of the bug, for the brakes, had a bunch of tiny holes in it.

new fuel lines, filters, plugs, plug wires, cap, rotor points, brake return spring, master Cylinder Adapter plugs for the master Cyl, 2 brake pressure switches, VC gaskets.....

still needs:
rear tires (cracked all over, probably not safe)
Muffler (one of the tips broke off, it seems way too rusty to do anything to it without it just cracking and breaking.

also a Voltage regulator is needed. It's working for now, but apparently it will go on and off and if the Gen light comes on and stays on I need to replace it then for sure.

any suggestions for exhaust?

it's still too new to me (beetles) and im overwhelmed with the different opinions out there....

more pics and details to follow. I really need to clean it up now. They did an amzing job making the motor compartment look good, but inside its all cobwebs and nastyness.

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:38 pm

Sweet! I Love That feeling you get when you first start her up and drive after a major ordeal. as opposed to that 'dear god don't let it explode' feeling you get when you first turn the key. :cheers: :compress: =D>
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:04 am

friday night and ALL day saturday myself and my two friends both named Jay just polished and cleaned and cleaned and polished. cleaned up wiring issues, scrubbed about a million layers of crud off of everything (especially the trunk) - installed the carpet, original seatbelts, original rear view mirror, new side view mirror, polished and reinstalled the original hub caps, headlight trim rings, the all red hella tail lights, fixed the license plate light, interior light, glove box.... a lot.

thank goodness for good VW friends, it would have taken me 5 months of weekends to get all of this as far as it is now...

bean5446
Getting Hooked!

Post by bean5446 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:17 am

Are you effin' kidding me?! Is that the same car? Nice work, sir. Nice work. . .
Bean
1980 Volvo 245 DL, Omar, 397000 miles.
-------------------------------------------------
1987 Vanagon Syncro, Syncro, re-homed.
1984 Vanagon GL Totoro, re-homed.
-------------------------------------------------
I have measured out my life with coffee spoons. - T.S. Eliot