so I own a 67 beetle - updated 8/17 - also clean!

Beetle, Karmann Ghia, Thing.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:21 pm

I forgot to add the happier motor pic and a few other shots....

1979 California Transporter

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:42 pm

Most excellent! Fantastic to see it rubbed, scrubbed and loved!

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

justgimmecoffee
Old School!

Post by justgimmecoffee » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:53 pm

Beautiful, man. You rescued a gem.

Nice to hear some good news for a change.

Oregon72
IAC Addict!

Post by Oregon72 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:41 pm

You sir- are stoked!!! That is a beautiful car. Well done :cheers:
-'72 Westy-

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:54 am

thanks again for the kind words everyone, it's been really fun so far.
reality will slowly let in as to the scale of the project on the whole, but I like to 'tinker' so I don't forsee any major hiccups just yet.

so far a lot of the things that didn't work initially are slowly coming around, while others are just now realizing their time is up.

for example, the drivers door:
in the beginning it wouldn't trigger the door light switch, close without slamming it and holding it up at the same time, window wouldn't roll up or down, lock wouldn't lock or unlock.

after getting in an out a few dozen times, the door light switch works, you can close it much easier, the window rolls up and down (though with a lot of effort) - and so far you can actually unlock and lock the door.
im not yet brave enough to actually lock it up everywhere in fear that it won't open again, but if I can continue to replicate the behavior ill give that option some more faith.

what was working that isn't anymore:
lights. it seems like the connections for the lights are just really crappy, so turn signal lights front and rear keep going out on me. im not actually changing the bulbs, just taking them apart and putting them back together. I think the connections are just rusty and need to be sanded and/or cleaned up really well so they make better contact.

last night I went for my longest cruse so far, about an hour round trip. it's as peppy as you want it to be even at highway speeds - though hitting a bump makes it get a little squirrely - and near the end of the trip my red light on the dash would flicker randomly (the gen light?) and my headlights blipped on and off really quickly a few times. *something* was also starting to smell hot, but somewhat of an electrical smell.

maybe it's the voltage regulator just behind me under the bench seat. the shop mentioned something about it possibly dying soon due to water damage...

the only other gremlin im in need of checking into further is the oil pressure switch. the light works when it's stone cold and the key is first put in, but it goes out after that and doesn't seem to come on again at all until everything is stone cold again. - update on this last part, I didn't follow my own directions to RTFM and see how that system works. maybe the dash light for the oil pressure wouldn't come on even with the motor off - if there was still enough pressure in the switch to break the connection. -
1979 California Transporter