Some FI ID Help Please

Beetle, Karmann Ghia, Thing.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Some FI ID Help Please

Post by Bookwus » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:17 pm

Hiya All,

Being a carbureted kinda guy I have zero experience with FI Bug engines. I'm wondering if somebody out there in IACland can help me by identifying (and, if possible, explaining what the durn thing does) the numbered parts in the picture below............

Now, I'm thinking that number 5 is part of the EGR system and number 7 (and all those brown wire sleeves) are part of some kinda sensor system. But, you can tell by the fact I'm asking, I really don't know for sure. Help!
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:48 pm

This is just like Gypsie's quiz at Maupin! Feel free to laugh and correct me when I get 'em wrong.

1.) Air Flow Meter or AFM. This measures the amount of air entering the engine so the ECU (Electronic Control Unit) knows how long to fire the injectors to create the correct mixture.

2.) I'm not sure... I'll have to go out and look at mine and see what it's hooked to. As they say, I'll have to get back to ya on that one!

3.) Aux Air Regulator Elbow. This allows the additional air supplied by the auxiliary air regulator to enter the engine, thus raising RPM's during warm up.

4.) I'm not positive what you're labelling, but if it's the part with the injector-type connector on it, that's the cold start valve, also known as "the fifth injector". This squirts a little extra fuel during cold start up.

5.) You are correct sir, that thar is the EGR valve.

6.) This is the intake air horn. I assume it's to funnel fresh air from the deck lid vents into the air cleaner.

7.) This is the electrical connection for the aux air regulator. It is always routed perilously close to the alternator belt. When the belt severs the wires and shorts them together, it will burn out your double relay. Ask me how I know.

8.) Again, I'm not positive of the labeling, but I believe what you're referring to is another injector-type connector. This time it's for the thermo-time switch. This is used to control when/how long to fire the cold start valve.

I hope this answers your questions and doesn't give you any incorrect information. Colin can grade my work and tell me to go sit in the corner when I've failed miserably.

Is this a new member of your family?
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:31 pm

Well I went out and looked. I still don't know what #2 is because my car doesn't have that. It might be part of the air preheater system for the air intake, but mine is missing all of that so I'm not really sure.

BTW, distributor caps should be orange or brown. :geek:
- Dick

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:31 pm

Hiya Dick,
dtrumbo wrote:This is just like Gypsie's quiz at Maupin! Feel free to laugh and correct me when I get 'em wrong.
Oh yeah! :cyclopsani: Like I have any idea what they are!
1.) Air Flow Meter or AFM. This measures the amount of air entering the engine so the ECU (Electronic Control Unit) knows how long to fire the injectors to create the correct mixture.
Ah, yes, I've heard of this. And where would I find the ECU?
3.) Aux Air Regulator Elbow. This allows the additional air supplied by the auxiliary air regulator to enter the engine, thus raising RPM's during warm up.
Wow! Cool. I'm impressed with your knowledge.
4.) I'm not positive what you're labelling, but if it's the part with the injector-type connector on it, that's the cold start valve, also known as "the fifth injector". This squirts a little extra fuel during cold start up.
I was wanting to know what that gray area just behind the "4" is. The area just below the what looks to be rubber air inlet.
6.) This is the intake air horn. I assume it's to funnel fresh air from the deck lid vents into the air cleaner.
From the angle of this photograph it looked as if a vacuum (?) hose was running into this thing.
7.) This is the electrical connection for the aux air regulator. It is always routed perilously close to the alternator belt. When the belt severs the wires and shorts them together, it will burn out your double relay. Ask me how I know.
And all of those brown wiring sleeves? They lead to sensors or regulators? Or something?
8.) Again, I'm not positive of the labeling, but I believe what you're referring to is another injector-type connector. This time it's for the thermo-time switch. This is used to control when/how long to fire the cold start valve.
I was referring to the area just behind "8". That large area appears to be a part of the alternator stand or crankcase.
I hope this answers your questions and doesn't give you any incorrect information. Colin can grade my work and tell me to go sit in the corner when I've failed miserably.
Aw, you did fine. You helped me get started!
Is this a new member of your family?
No. However, looking closely you can see that this an AutoStick FI. Quite the rare beast nowadays. Lotsa one year only parts with repect to the mating of the AutoStick and the FI. Matter of fact, after better than 10 years of living with an AutoStick this is the first picture I've even seen of an AS/FI engine compartment.
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:07 pm

Autostick and FI! I always though the Autostick went away prior to the start of FI in '75. Wow!!!

I think the ECU is in the rear luggage area on the passenger side (as is the double relay).

The gray area behind #4 and #8 is the intake "plenum" as it were (distributing air to the cylinders). It is an integral part of the alternator support.
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:15 pm

Hiya Don,
vwlover77 wrote:Autostick and FI! I always though the Autostick went away prior to the start of FI in '75. Wow!!!
Of interest to a fellow AutoStick owner......................generally you'll find that most folks will tell you that AutoStick production ceased at the end of the 75 production year. The truth is that VW had a lot of AutoStick components still assigned to the production line when the 75 production year wound up. So, in true VW style they carried AS production on over into 1976. A 76 AS FI would be quite the rare beast these days.
I think the ECU is in the rear luggage area on the passenger side (as is the double relay).
So, there are fuel system components NOT in the engine compartment? Where's the fuel pump?
The gray area behind #4 and #8 is the intake "plenum" as it were (distributing air to the cylinders). It is an integral part of the alternator support.
Aha! So, then the engine case is basically the same as a carbureted case? I'm assuming there's no fuel pump hole though. Right? Electric fuel pump. Yes?
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:44 pm

Very interesting indeed!!!

The fuel pump is indeed electric and located up front under the car near the right front wheel.

I believe the engine case is the same, but without the drilling for the fuel pump rod or the studs installed.
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:02 am

vwlover77 wrote:I think the ECU is in the rear luggage area on the passenger side (as is the double relay).
Correct. Just behind the rear seat under the rear window so when the seal leaks it pours water right into the double relay. Again, ask me how I know.
Bookwus wrote:I was wanting to know what that gray area just behind the "4" is. The area just below the what looks to be rubber air inlet.
This is the throttle body. Just below your number 4 you can see the wide-blade slotted screw which is the idle adjustment screw.
Bookwus wrote:Quote:

From the angle of this photograph it looked as if a vacuum (?) hose was running into this thing.
There is vacuum going to the air cleaner box for the EEC valve. If you're talking about the big hose referenced by your number 2, perhaps that's autostick-related?
Bookwus wrote:And all of those brown wiring sleeves? They lead to sensors or regulators? Or something?
The brown wiring sleeves 'protect' the wiring to the three devices I mentioned, the Cold Start Valve, the Aux Air Regulator and the Thermo-time Switch. It also covers the harness going to the AFM. Over the years, the brown rubbery jacket hardens, cracks and disintegrates. When that happens, split-loom works pretty good as a replacement. The specimen in your photo looks to be in excellent condition at least in the brown rubbery-jacket department. I bet the heat sucks!

So Mike, what is that gizmo on the very far left of your picture? Is that part of the autostick also? What is it and what do it do?
- Dick

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:25 am

Hiya Dick,
dtrumbo wrote:......So Mike, what is that gizmo on the very far left of your picture? Is that part of the autostick also? What is it and what do it do?
That is the control valve. You are absolutely correct in that it is the heart of the AutoStick system. Shifting in an AutoStick is an electrical process with a vacuum assist. The control valve is where the electricity and the vacuum come together.

You can see the wiring leading into the back (actually that's a solenoid) of the control valve. That wiring eventually leads up to the shift lever in the passenger cabin. When the driver moves the shift lever a set of points makes contact and grounds out the always hot circuit leading back to the control valve solenoid.

At that point the control valve allows vacuum from the intake manifold (notice that 12 mm hose leading over to what I assume is a vacuum port hidden behind all that EGR/FI stuff) to pull the diaphragm in the clutch servo (outtasight in this picture) which, in turn pulls the clutch arm.

More than you ever wanted to know about the AutoStick!
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:46 am

Bookwus wrote:More than you ever wanted to know about the AutoStick!
Not at all! I love learning about how these fantastic vehicles work! Thanks Mike!
- Dick

VWBusrepairman
IAC Addict!

Re: Some FI ID Help Please

Post by VWBusrepairman » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:39 pm

#7 needs dressed properly- slip a belt and the wires will be damaged. I've seen this a couple of times, but I feel as if the wire should be on the front side of the belt so it isn't in danger of being damaged.

I think I'm going to convert my '72 to injection if I can get all the beetle-injection-only parts rounded up. I'm not a carb guy and have too much FI experience to play with a silly carb, plus I will be even more odd at car shows rockin' out some AFC in my 1302!
1968-1979 VW bus sunroof consulting, type IV engine analysis, QA technical work

justgimmecoffee
Old School!

Post by justgimmecoffee » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:04 am

So what is the story behind this pic, BW? you got another autostick?