Oil Bath Filter.

Beetle, Karmann Ghia, Thing.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Oil Bath Filter.

Post by Gypsie » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:29 am

Question about the oil bath air cleaner.

I recently paid some much needed attention to the bug (72 super beetle).

When I removed the oil bath, I found a mocha colored sludge with quite a bit of water in the mix (about 1/4 to 1/3 water).

The breather slats for the engine bay are directly above the intake horn.

When I am driving around I must be sucking rain drops into the oil. In these parts that is a big part of the year.

Q1- Should the intake horn be positioned under the lip of the hatch opening and therefore out of direct rain fall, instead of under the openings?

Q2- When I fill the oil reservoir the fill line is where exactly. Some describe 'to the baffle' some say 'to the arrow'. Not much difference but one way covers the entire baffle and the other seems too low to have an impact other than a place for dust to settle.

Q3- Should this oil settle and cover the openings in the bottom of the 'element' cage when the motor is not running? When it is running?

By the way, Bookwus, that stat is not functioning. I now have two, so I may try some scientific experimentin' to see If there is any way to get it workin'.
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:35 am

is it possible that the water is from condensation inside the filter?

Would imagine that it might be prone to that as it sits far away from quick heat.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:51 am

I can imagine condensed water sliding back down the element into the bath, but wonder if I have something set up improperly. The sludge I noticed has formed since March and seems to be excessive.

Maybe I just need to plan on changing the oil there every couple months in this climate. Another reason to mod to a paper filter. (Shhh, don't tell colin or hammie...)

I was thinking that the area might get pretty warm considering that the preheater hose is always open (stat does not work). Maybe not warm enough to cause the water to evaoprate out of the oil.

Also thinking that that is part of the design element (where the water settles to the bottom otf the oil and out of the combustion chambers.)

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:53 am

all very valid points my friend.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:59 am

Q1 You certainly do NOT want it rainling into the air intake....I vote move it.

q2 The oil needs to be high enough so that the air has to go thru the filter element and can't go around it.

q3 The oil level in the filter doesn't change based upon weather the engine is running or not.
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:19 pm

Hiya Stephan,

Given that you have two flaps in that airhorn and the plastic clips that hold those flaps are not watertight; and that there is a lip at the airhorn bowl junction, I'm not thinking that intaking much water through the airhorn should be a big problem. Still, the airhorn should be oriented directly to the right as you look at the engine. That would, more or less, put it under the joint between rear decklid and body and away from the decklid vents.

Is it possible that moisture might be entering the air filter through some other means? Hosing perhaps?

I sold another air filter thermostat up at Maupin to Bob. Dunno if that one was good, but I did mention to Bob that you and I had discussed the possibility of renewing these things via new wax. You might want to contact him about that. Maybe you two could start up a paraffin rersearch institute.
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:47 pm

Thanks folk. stuff to chew on.
Bookwus wrote: Is it possible that moisture might be entering the air filter through some other means? Hosing perhaps?
Great question.

I will track down the ends of the two hoses connected. Could be that since the evaporator tube was disconnected when I got it is not connected tightly on the other end or the first usage sucked up a mess of stored h2o?...

This is the old horn (replaced but in the same location). Note all the water.

I will also look close at the decklid seal. Maybe water is getting ins through a gap? though the vents are a pretty big opening in themselves.

They make rain louvre type clip on things. Any thoughts?

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:34 pm

Hiya S,

From 70 through 71 VW installed an internal rain shield on the decklid. This contraption allowed fresh air to enter the engine compartment, but intercepted the water and routed it down to the bottom of the decklid where a series of holes allowed it to drain.

Picture..............

If you're interested these things still do show up at VW shows, swaps and boneyards. Hmmmmmm.......come to think of it.......I believe I saw one of these out at Trafton's recently.
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:30 pm

Drool....

Yes I am interested. If you see one at Mr Trafton's perhaps you could mention that I would like to get it let me know.

So this was not on the '72?

I looked again and it does not appear to be possible to get the horn out from under the vents.

Anyone ever used one of these?:

http://www.mamotorworks.com/acvw?frame=1.4608

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:16 pm

Hiya S,

Want me to locate one and take possession in your name? If so, I dunno when I'm next out at Bill's but I will put it on the "FIND" list.
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:29 pm

Bookwus wrote:Hiya S,

Want me to locate one and take possession in your name? If so, I dunno when I'm next out at Bill's but I will put it on the "FIND" list.
That's awesome, a local VW parts one man SWAT team!!
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:12 am

Bookem' Mike-o. uh...wait different cop show...

Yes claim one for me. $20 or lessish if possible.

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:40 am

Hiya S,

I'm pretty sure I can get you one for under $20. Whether it's complete or not will be another question. You may have to do some creative fabbing with the hoses.
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

werksberg
Old School!

Post by werksberg » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:50 pm

The OEM rain tray is best or I also make these ABS plastic .060" Bug Deck lid liners too:

For convertibles, before installing them use a hole saw and drill some holes in the deck lid liner down by the lower catch for water to run off but fresh air still comes in.

I was trying to make them out of Alum but the price of colored coated alum these days and Bug owners will not pay for them at that cost......

Gypsie, that outer ABS cover is an Empi part and might be cheaper at the larger VW shops. Here in the OC we don't see any of them on Bugs....but we hardly see and rain. Please send all the rain clouds our way, OK?

JM
Facebook for new product releases and special deals: Werks Berg
http://stores.ebay.com/werksberg
Search the Samba under werksberg for our products on sale there too....but order direct on here for a special IAC shipping savings
SOS: Support Our Shops....
werksberg@sbcglobal.net

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:53 pm

Hiya werks,

Whoa!..............that's pretty slick.

How does the air get into the engine compartment? I'm not seeing that part.
I have cancer.

It does not have me.