Opinions?

Beetle, Karmann Ghia, Thing.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Opinions?

Post by Bookwus » Mon May 18, 2009 7:31 pm

Hiya All,

I'm going to be doing some interior restoration on my Bug in the near future. Part of that restoration will involve the floors and carpeting.

Now I have already removed the original floor tarboards. I then prepped the front floors and painted them with POR 15. Turned out quite well. For this restoration I have purchased floor insulation to go under the carpeting. This floor insulation is rather like Dynamat only not sticky.

I had thought that I'd lay down beads of RTV on the floor pan ridges and then apply the floor insulation. That would leave open air spaces under the floor insulation.

Then I thought that if I applied the RTV to the foor insulation near to the edge all the way around and installed it that way, the air spaces would still be under the floor insulation, but they would be sealed off by the RTV.

Since the floor pan is sealed with POR 15, does anybody see any problem with sealing those air spaces? I'm thinking that might preferable to leaving them open to moisture. But then there's the condensation issue............

Does any of this really matter since the pan is coated with POR 15? Am I just overthinking this issue?
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Tue May 19, 2009 8:04 am

I don't think you need the insulation. POR15 and Kar-pet are enuff.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Tue May 19, 2009 8:11 am

May want to look at Fatmat, it has the adhesive backing. You apply it with a wallpaper type roller to get the air out. Greatly improves road noise and vibration.

I will be the entire interior of our 67 with this stuff.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Tue May 19, 2009 8:51 am

Hiya Guys,

I already have the stuff (purchased ahead of time last year), so I pretty much have to use what I do have because my bankroll is pretty flat right now.

By the way, this mat is specifically made to replace the original floor tarboards. While it's not quite as thick as the original (the original was actually a sandwich of tarboard surrounding a thin layer of foam) it is sturdier than the sound dampening type of insulating material (think Dynamat) that I have seen.
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue May 19, 2009 10:08 am

Bookwus wrote:Hiya Guys,

I already have the stuff (purchased ahead of time last year), so I pretty much have to use what I do have because my bankroll is pretty flat right now.

By the way, this mat is specifically made to replace the original floor tarboards. While it's not quite as thick as the original (the original was actually a sandwich of tarboard surrounding a thin layer of foam) it is sturdier than the sound dampening type of insulating material (think Dynamat) that I have seen.
Allow breathing room! I implore you! You are no match for wily water.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Tue May 19, 2009 10:13 am

Hiya Colin,
Amskeptic wrote:......Allow breathing room! I implore you! You are no match for wily water.....
Geez Colin, I'm not even a match for the brainy resourcefulness of peanut butter. On a good day!

So, interpreting your response.......I should not seal off the spaces under the mat? Correct?
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Tue May 19, 2009 10:25 am

How did they attach the factory stuff?
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Tue May 19, 2009 10:33 am

Hiya Spiff,

It was a gooped on tarlike adhesive. The spaces under the mat were left (for the most part) open.

I had been thinking that coating the floorpan with POR-15 might alter the equation somewhat. But I'm now thinking that I was, indeed, overthinking the whole situation. And your question contains that seed of good common sense that I was overlooking by overthinking.
I have cancer.

It does not have me.