Carburetors, chokes, fuel pumps and all that.............

Beetle, Karmann Ghia, Thing.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Wed May 27, 2009 5:10 pm

When did the Bus start with those wacky steel fuel vent lines that run way up inside the air intakes? Could one of those be cracked and leaking out fuel vapors? (We are talking Bus in this here Type I forum, right? :geek: )
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Wed May 27, 2009 5:28 pm

Hiya Don,

Geez, you know I didn't even realize that the thread had transmogrified from my Bug to my Bus. I had to go back though it and read it all over. Spooky.

The problem with the Bug turned out to be that the choke was wacky. A little TLC in that direction and all is well in Bugland.

The Bus was a tad more complicated. Turns out that the points, while looking good gapwise had actually pitted in the center. Changed them out. I had a leak at the carb base flange that was almost invisible. It was leaking at the right rear of the flange. New gaskets and tightened the nuts. Tweaked the carb setting as per Rob & Dave. Finally, retimed the beast.

Wound up with a very sweet running engine. At least it seems to be very sweet running. I'll probably find out more about that when Bleyseng sticks his probe up my tailpipe at Maupin. Sounds kinkier than it really it is. In any event, the gas smell seems to be gone. I'm guessing it was that "invisible leak" because everything looked pristine when I looked behind the gas tank wall.

I'm thinking all that tank venting tomfoolery started with the introduction of the Type 4 engines in 72. It certainly ain't there on mine.
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Wed May 27, 2009 6:25 pm

Allright! Congrats! :cheers:
May you be "done".
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat