SEAT BELT ADJUSTMENT

Beetle, Karmann Ghia, Thing.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

red69bug
I'm New!

SEAT BELT ADJUSTMENT

Post by red69bug » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:53 pm

I just got my (new to me) 1969 beetle up and running and I tried to adjust the seat belts and they won't budge. They are the belts that have a little metal bar across the top of the locking device that you push down to adjust the straps. They don't look rusted and I sprayed WD-40 all over and inside the adjusting area. Is there a trick to making the straps move.???? Or should I just invest in new ones. They do have the shoulder strap as well as the lap strap as one unit.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:14 pm

You should get new ones, but you should be able to free up the ones you have. Under the buckle plastic guard, there is a toothed bar of metal that slides slightly out of the way to make the strap move and adjust. Some times you just need to pull/push the belt itself until the bar moves. Maybe they're stuck on yours? In either case reel style Beetle belts are affordable and a great upgrade for safety.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

JLT
Old School!

On more or less the same subject

Post by JLT » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:02 pm

I've been looking for those after-market seat belt retractors .... the kind that mount on the belt itself. (They aren't to be relied upon for adjusting the belt length for crash situations ... they're just for rolling up the belt neatly when it's not in use so it doesn't end up getting smashed in the damned door.)

Anybody know where these can be had nowadays?
-- JLT
Sacramento CA

Present bus: '71 Dormobile Westie "George"
(sometimes towing a '65 Allstate single-wheel trailer)
Former buses: '61 17-window Deluxe "Pink Bus"
'70 Frankenwestie "Blunder Bus"
'71 Frankenwestie "Thunder Bus"

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: On more or less the same subject

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:08 pm

JLT wrote:I've been looking for those after-market seat belt retractors .... the kind that mount on the belt itself. (They aren't to be relied upon for adjusting the belt length for crash situations ... they're just for rolling up the belt neatly when it's not in use so it doesn't end up getting smashed in the damned door.)

Volkswagen offered those reels when the cars were new, nobody liked them. I have trained all who ride with me to neatly fold and hang up the belts.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:20 am

JLT wrote:I've been looking for those after-market seat belt retractors .... the kind that mount on the belt itself. (They aren't to be relied upon for adjusting the belt length for crash situations ... they're just for rolling up the belt neatly when it's not in use so it doesn't end up getting smashed in the damned door.)

You can get 'em here.

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp ... 6-111-704A

... but they really suck. I have a pair that I won't be using. You can have 'em if you want. PM me your address and they're yours.
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:49 pm

Hiya Dick,
dtrumbo wrote:... but they really suck....
How so?
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:35 pm

Bookwus wrote:Hiya Dick,
How so?
They rarely have enough tension to wind up, if the belt is slightly off-center the edges jam up and they won't wind up, even on a good day they barely tidy up the mess anyway, and they are ugly white.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

bus71
Addicted!

Post by bus71 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:24 pm

My 71 bus had the optional retracters when we got it. I agree on above problems. We just fold belts and set them on the seat.

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:55 am

Bookwus wrote:Hiya Dick,
How so?
Colin pretty much summed it up. They can't wind up all of the belt to make it really tidy because the "roll" would be too big. The ones I'm sending to JLT are black, but that doesn't change their behavior.

I have to admit, part of my loathe is not completely the fault of the wind-up dealie. I bought the gizmos with the subconscious desire to make my non-retractable belts retractable. Well, that's not what they're meant to do. Even with them on I still couldn't reach the glove box because the belts weren't the retractable kind. Of course I didn't expect them to fix that limitation, but given the fact that they didn't do what they were designed to do very well, that's when I gave up and retro'd Vanagon retractable belts. Ahhhh... sweet bliss!
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!