The Leak

Beetle, Karmann Ghia, Thing.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

The Leak

Post by Bookwus » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:10 am

Hiya All,

The weather in our neck of the woods has been alternately wet and dry so far this winter. After our last snowfall and subsequent melt I noticed that there was an accumulation of water on the passenger side floorpan. I thought a doorseal was the culprit.

I stripped out all the floor insulation padding and coated the pan with POR-15 just to be on the safe side. While doing that I noticed a couple of drips coming down the cowl in front of the door. The water was coming from my gas flap pull. I checked the gas flap and gas cap area. Everything seemed to be dry. So, where was the water coming from? I popped open the trunk and sure enough, the gas flap mechanism was wet. Water was dripping down the edge of the hood hinge. I scrunched around to get a view of where it was coming from. Turns out that there are two little weep holes under the front windshield seal.

Water had gotten underneath the seal, dripped through the two holes, onto the hood hinge, dripped onto the gas flap mechanism, went through the mechanism, dripped down the cowl, and onto the floorpan.

Sheesh!
I have cancer.

It does not have me.