IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:30 am

185's
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:32 am

perfect....my master plan is coming together swimmingly...bwaaahaaahaaa.

One rim...anyone...going once...
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:38 am

Hiya Gypsy,

009s and 34PICT3s are pretty notorious for not playing nicely together. That particular teaming of components has been good for pages of complaints and remedies.

If you're interested, I have a selection of 165X15s on Bug rims.
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:56 am

You don't want an 009. Built in low RPM flat spot. They work fine but aren't the best.
15" on the beetle, 14" on the bus.
I still think you need a new carb, that is an old Mexican Solex with lots of miles on it. And suck on the distributor vacuum line and see if the plate inside moves accordingly.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:27 pm

dats right, I forgot about the rim size.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:21 pm

Bookwus wrote: If you're interested, I have a selection of 165X15s on Bug rims.

Ooh- Ooh, Ooh-Ooh, I'm piqued.

Pretty much looking for a spare rim and tire. A 165 would work great as I intend to go stock at the next tire change and will work great as a spare for the 195s til then.
Pm me with an address and a price.

Pretty please...

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:49 pm

That's the stuff that turns up on Craigslist and Samba for peanuts. Keep your eyes open.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:24 am

I have a line on heater parts including an electric fan though the seller is asking me for an offer as he can't find a price for the electric fan.

I am planning a meeting to check things out.

Any Ideas on particular parts to lay my hands on? I know, all of 'em.

I am looking for window scraper rubber and some trim pieces.

He'll sell me the heat exchangers for $45 each. Mine are fine, Anyone else? Dhoch? Is your girlfriend still cold?

Anyone-
PM me with a phone# ifn' you want to ride along (Sunday Late morning/early afternoon) or want me to check something out for you.

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:10 pm

Gypsie wrote: A 165 would work great as I intend to go stock at the next tire change and will work great as a spare for the 195s til then.
Doh!
I am seeing that 155's are stock but many use 165's Thoughts?

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:21 pm

Gypsie wrote:I am seeing that 155's are stock but many use 165's Thoughts?
Yeah.

Step 1) Try finding 155R15 tires.
Step 2) Get discouraged and pick up a set 165R15 Kumho's.
Step 3) Drive off and be happy.

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:58 pm

So I went out to the Cat's place that had a parts bug. A 50 mile round trip

I guess we had differing ideas about the heater parts I wanted. He would not sell me the parts (the two side defrost "manifolds") for $12. I only brought $20 and he wouldn't let them go for $20 either. He also had a working electric fresh air fan unit that connects to these manifolds.

He said he would look around and come up with a price.

He said he would sell me a hood (with surface rust and a few dings) for$75

Any ideas about a fair price for a fan unit or hood? $75 seems high for a hood and the fan is luxury. I have the passive freshair unit but not the manifolds that connect to the L R defrost vents.

I think I could go up a tad, but not much. The pieces may be findable at a upullit.

I also got the wheel and tire from Bookwus (Sweet Deal! You 'da man!) and found that I have 165's on the bug now not 195's as I previously posted. Total dyslexic moment. So now I realize that I have a great set of almost stock Jupiters and a spare that is an exact size match. Whoohoo!

Readjusted the timing after fixing the carb manifold leak and the low rpm lag has all but disappeared. still a little but I think it is carb related (accelerater pump, throttle shaft leak, ????)

I think Bob has convinced me to get a new carb. It's likely that I will give the old one a complete once over to have as a spare.

Any suggestions for a supplier for one that is new or things to keep in mind?

Specs:

'72 Super with a single vacuum advance distributor. Currently there is a 34pict3 (stock) although the aircleaner is a double horn (not stock) which is leaving an extra charcoal canister hose hanging out behind the fan housing as there are not enough ports on the air cleaner.

Soooo, now I'm looking for:

-Heat/defrost components, trunk area, (manifolds and freshair fan would be nice).
-Carb
-Air cleaner
-fair priced hood
-Seat belt setup that doesn't make you want to scream every time the buckle falls between the seat and center tube on the floor, which happens about, oh I'd guess somewhere around EVERY F'ing TIME!. The ones there are nifty in that old fashioned 'aint that quaint' sort of way but not so great for the daily driver.

Shift linkage components are sloppy (ie it does not want to go back down from 3rd to 2nd) and I have to try several times to get it into 2nd as it wanders to 4th 4 of 5 times. Probl'y the bushing and linkage under the back seat. Bought the bushing and just need time.

The wobble i mentioned earlier seems to be in the 40-45 range and is pretty faint. In the long run I will likely change the appropriate bushing and dampener when I get to fine tuning performance stuff. Down the road

Looks like I will be putting my little welder to work with some body work. There are a couple of nasty places that will need stabilizing. One of them being the front strut mount at the wheel well. Pretty deep rust near the mounting bolts in that area.

All in all I am still very happy with my new bug. Looking forward to getting to know each other better in the coming years.

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:38 pm

Give these guys a call.

www.averres.com/

I've gotten parts from them for my Super and was pleased with their service. They're just up the road from you in Woodland, WA.

If nothing else, you could get prices for the parts the other guy was in love with to see if he was in line or not.
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:46 pm

Thanks Mr. Trumbo. Sent them an email inquiry.

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:50 pm

Keifernet for a carb. Trust me.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:53 pm

spiffy wrote:Spankalicious!!!!! What a find!!!!

Ruckman has a spare carb of mine that is in working order, if he ain't planning on using it for his new rig then I would love for you to be abe to use it. If not, you can wait until I pull the motor on bill and I can send you a keifernet special 30pict on indefinite loan if you need one. If you need a 34 CONTACT keifernet, his work does not suck. :geek:

VW's for everyone!! (extra rides that is.)
That carb is indeed in the drawer. You're welcome to swing by and pick it up, or I could bring it down the the Lab next Monday. I went through quite a few carbs before resolved the "flat spot" I had with Bertha. Quite a few dizzies, too. Resisted Trafton's advice (with convincing rationale) to go to a 30/31. Resolution finally came with an air-cooled.net dizzy and a new "Hecho en Mexico" 34 carb. Been good since.

The antibiotics have again won the battle against the tooth abscess, and I'm recovering from the crud.

I'll be back in town Thursday. I leave for work around 1 pm.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.