Ghia Maybe

Beetle, Karmann Ghia, Thing.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

gmag69
IAC Addict!

Ghia Maybe

Post by gmag69 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:43 am

Ok I seem to jinx myself everytime I say something about a vehicle but I'm going to say it anyways. I saw this Ghia over on TS and have been thinking about getting it. I think the autostick would be a perfect way to teach the g/f to drive a standard. What do you guys think about the car. It looks pretty decent to me.I have started saving the $$ for it. I hope it is still available once I have it all saved up. :blackeye:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... ?id=640770

Also can you pull an autostick on a dolly or do you have to use a trailer? I know they say not to tow auto buses on a dolly I just didn't know about autostick Ghias or bugs.
Check out my Westy Resto thread. viewtopic.php?t=2063
bretski wrote:...oh, and we just bombed the moon.

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:54 am

Well, we know you're not afraid of a little rust and bodywork, so that won't be a concern!

I have an Autostick in my '71 Beetle. The transmission itself is basically the same as a regular manual box. The ATF only flows through the torque converter, not the transmission internals, so I would see no reason it could not be towed on a dolly. Just be sure it's in neutral.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

gmag69
IAC Addict!

Post by gmag69 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:45 am

Thanks Don. My dad had an autostick in his Superbeetle when I was younger. I still remember when we took it for a test drive. He was resting his hand on the shifter and it wouldn't go. He looked at the kid and said "What the hell is going on here?" The kid casually says "Take your hand off the shifter." It bumped into gear and off we went. :blackeye: Man I miss that car. :(

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:13 am

Just my two cents, but I'd spring for the auto-transport trailer from U-Haul over the tow dolly. At least where I live, it's only $15 more ($50.00 total) and you won't regret it, especially on a six hour drive. As a bonus, you get to back up!
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

gmag69
IAC Addict!

Post by gmag69 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:54 am

Well the reason I asked about the dolly is a friend of the family owns one. I'm sure he'd let me use it for free to go get it. If I had to rent one I'd deff get the trailer.

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:22 am

gmag69 wrote:Well the reason I asked about the dolly is a friend of the family owns one. I'm sure he'd let me use it for free to go get it. If I had to rent one I'd deff get the trailer.
Having used both, I would go so far as to say it's worth the $50.00 to get the trailer over the tow dolly. Even for free, it's not worth it. Again, just my opinion.
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Ghia Maybe

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:23 pm

gmag69 wrote:I saw this Ghia over on TS and have been thinking about getting it. Also can you pull an autostick on a dolly or do you have to use a trailer?
Get it. Love it. Tow it as you would any manual transmission car. . . in neutral.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:10 pm

Hiya Geno,

I'm a longtime AutoStick driver. I also moderate the Volkswagen Automatic Register (www.vwar.org) a website which focuses on the AutoStick, so I've intermixed with a lot of AS drivers. There are a couple of things you should know before springing for an AutoStick.

Know that the AutoStick is an EXTREMELY robust transmission. Hardly anything goes wrong inside the tranny case itself. That means that almost all "repairs" are centered in the electrical and vacuum systems. In turn, that means that repairs are usually cheap and easy. It's not uncommon for the clutch components to last well over 100,000 miles (due to the torque converter)........try that with a manual!

Almost all AutoSticks (unless they have been scrupulously cared for) have something wrong with them. As stated above, the fix is usually cheap and easy. But............this can be an advantage when negotiating the price of the car............down!

For more tech-type advice and some general pointers, aim your browser at VWAR. Lots of AS people over there willing to share their knowledge and experience.
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:16 pm

I have found in, 2 different auto stick pans, that the clutch cable tube is still there, kinda nice iff'n ya wanna go back to a stick later.
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:05 pm

It looks like a pretty reasonable price. I test drove an auto-stick, and caught on pretty quick. We saw it on the road a week later, proud new owners, a couple, her at the wheel. People that have auto-sticks seem to like them. Ghias are fun and head-turners.

Twice now I have had people tell me while driving mine that it was the first one they had actually seen on the road. And many many people ask what kind of car it is, surprised that it's a VW.

A project, but they all are to a certain extent. I'd go for it.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:53 pm

ruckman101 wrote:It looks like a pretty reasonable price. I test drove an auto-stick, and caught on pretty quick. We saw it on the road a week later, proud new owners, a couple, her at the wheel. People that have auto-sticks seem to like them. Ghias are fun and head-turners.

Twice now I have had people tell me while driving mine that it was the first one they had actually seen on the road. And many many people ask what kind of car it is, surprised that it's a VW.

A project, but they all are to a certain extent. I'd go for it.

neal
To properly enjoy a Karmann Ghia, it must be beautifully painted and waxed.
CUZ I SAID SO
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

gmag69
IAC Addict!

Post by gmag69 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:10 pm

Colin- Thanks for the input. I hope it is still there when I get the money saved up.

Bookwus- Thanks for the info and the link. I will be sure to check it out.

Neal- Your Ghia got me thinking about getting one when I saw the pics of it. They are deff. a forgotten VW for sure.

56ovalbug
Getting Hooked!

Post by 56ovalbug » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:35 pm

I think the Ghia will take time and money away from your Westy. You are getting closer to getting the Westy ready for the road. Stay focused and you'll probably have it done by summer or by late summer - the best weather for camping!

You must stay F O C U S E D ! ! !

:-)
Joey

'56 Beetle|'65 Beetle|'74 Bus|'79 Panel|’60 Kombi

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:46 pm

56ovalbug wrote:I think the Ghia will take time and money away from your Westy. You are getting closer to getting the Westy ready for the road. Stay focused and you'll probably have it done by summer or by late summer - the best weather for camping!

You must stay F O C U S E D ! ! !

:-)
That is a good point. My brother gave me good advice about my house, although I haven't always followed it, I should. He said to focus on one room at a time. That was it. It's far too easy to wander from job to job, problem to problem and never finish any of them.

Still, you need to get your lady a car...

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:53 pm

Hiya Geneo,
56ovalbug wrote:.......You must stay F O C U S E D ! ! !
As much as I like AutoSticks............56 is right.

Stay focused on finishing the Bus!
I have cancer.

It does not have me.