New member with maybe simple question

Beetle, Karmann Ghia, Thing.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

red69bug
I'm New!

New member with maybe simple question

Post by red69bug » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:34 pm

I just purchased a 1969 beetle in very good condition (expecially for the midwest area), but I noticed that the front seats have short backs with no head rest. I was looking at other 69s and they have the taller seat backs with a head support. I was lalso looking in the classified section for seats with the head support and noticed people asking for the lower backed seats. Are these seats more desirable or are they just correct for certain cars. Should I keep them in my car or get the ones with the head support

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:08 pm

Some people prefer the "pre-68" seats, some don't. Really up to you.

The only thing I never liked about the 68-69 seats were the big headrests gave me a big blindspot.
79 VW Bus

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:32 pm

Hiya Red,

Welcome to the IAC!

As Randy mentioned, there is probably more demand for the pre-68 short seats than the correct seats for a 68-69. This is really a matter of taste. If you're a Stock Nazi you'll want to find what was original for the car; if you don't care, anything will do as long as you can sit in it, and if you have be totally cool (for the moment) you want the short seats.

Also Randy mentioned the "blind spot" due to the wide headrests of the 68 and 69 Bugs. VW modified this with a more narrow headrest in 1970. That seat is identical to the 68 and 69 seats with the sole exception of the narrower headrest.
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

red69bug
I'm New!

Post by red69bug » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:56 pm

Originality is not one of my strong points. I own 9 different model cars(British TRs, Volvo 1800, Benz 380SL, Excalibur, etc) and not one is all original. That being said, I will stick with the low back seats for now. If down the road I find a nice set of 70 or later seats (the ones you can see around) and the price is right, I will pick them up. Thanks for the information.

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:00 am

What year did the seat tracks change to the tripod mount?
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:16 am

I believe that was 1973.
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:51 am

red69bug wrote:Originality is not one of my strong points.
I will stick with the low back seats for now.
There are reasons for the evolution towards head restraints. Sell your lowbacks to people whose cars were originally equipped with them (get your fair price) and buy the 1969 correct seats if you can, they do, after all, have the broadest head restraint protection of the series.
S'whatIthink,
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Getting Hooked!

Post by 3072 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:03 pm

red69bug wrote:If down the road I find a nice set of 70 or later seats (the ones you can see around) and the price is right, I will pick them up. Thanks for the information.
If by chance that you want to go with the later 1970 seats instead of the original '68-69 seats, be sure that you pick one from a '70 year model, as the seat tracks welded on to the floor pan changed in '71.
Otherwise you'll have to replace your tracks.

1968-70 had the same seat bottoms, but changed for 71-72 models with slightly different tracks. The '70 only seat however looks identical to the 71-2.

*Link... 1956-70 Tracks
*Link... 71-72

However with that said, I'm not an expert by any means, but im under the impression that the 71-2 will not fit the 68-70 seat tracks due to the changes... but could be wrong!!
Anyone try to fit the different year seats before?

werksberg
Old School!

Post by werksberg » Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:40 pm

red69bug wrote:Originality is not one of my strong points. I own 9 different model cars(British TRs, Volvo 1800, Benz 380SL, Excalibur, etc) and not one is all original. That being said, I will stick with the low back seats for now. If down the road I find a nice set of 70 or later seats (the ones you can see around) and the price is right, I will pick them up. Thanks for the information.
Red, where are you locate as your screen doesn't state a place?

I was just over at one of dealers Bill & Steve's in Lakewood, Calif. and they had a bunch of old late model seats laying around there back shop. The reason I know was that I borrowed a low & a high back seat to make an ABS plastic seat back inserts for them......as they used to have press board ones, but they fall apart.

B&S (562) 923-3251
Facebook for new product releases and special deals: Werks Berg
http://stores.ebay.com/werksberg
Search the Samba under werksberg for our products on sale there too....but order direct on here for a special IAC shipping savings
SOS: Support Our Shops....
werksberg@sbcglobal.net

red69bug
I'm New!

Post by red69bug » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:02 pm

Werksberg, Cali. would be kind of a hike for me considering I'm from Chicago, but I appreciate the information. Actually, I've found several sets locally and will be checking them out maybe this weekend. The good thing is I'm not in any hurry, (the winter snow is upon us and the VW is sleeping for the winter), so I can take my time and find a good set. Thanks for all the replies.