Dratted vapor lock?

Beetle, Karmann Ghia, Thing.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Dratted vapor lock?

Post by ruckman101 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:17 pm

Fourth time, although this time it wasn't immediately after a fill-up, and twice since the new filter went into the tank that I thought solved the problem.

We drive into town, grab some video gear, start up, and within three blocks ptoot, no gas, die, coast park. Usually it'll fire up again after sitting an hour or so. Not this time, so I go to pull the fuel line and the metal pipe that the hose attaches to at the fuel pump pulls right out of the fuel pump body.

Hmmm. Let's call the tow truck.

Is there a glue I can glue that puppy back in with?

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

static
IAC Addict!

Post by static » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:56 pm

Um, no. You have to buy a new one.

It sounds as though the problems that you have been having with fuel starvation are similar to mine. Cleaning the tank and adding filters before and after the carb, plus a brand new carb and pump and only now it works.

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:32 pm

You can knurl the outside of the tube and then JB Weld or 2-part Epoxy it in place. You can knurl the tube by rolling it hard against a rough wood file.
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:28 am

Neal, do your best to route the fuel line in such a way that it avoids the heat of the engine. Every 1/2" of clearance helps. Check under the car too, avoid the downstream blast of hot air from the outlets of the heat exchangers.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:47 pm

Thanks folks. I'll have a chance to look for a replacement tomorrow morning, should have one for the baja engine in my back room.

I'd like to resurrect the pump that's on there, as it is disassembleable and even has a fuel filter within it that can be taken out and cleaned.

And definitely give the fuel line route a lookey-lou.

thanks,
neal
The slipper has no teeth.