what is missing here?

Beetle, Karmann Ghia, Thing.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

bug boy john
I'm New!

what is missing here?

Post by bug boy john » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:12 pm

I don't have my Bently book yet, but is there a hose that supposed to go down from the air filter to the hole in the bottom of the engine bay?

Is it supposed to connect to something other than the hose?

The heater exchanger, under the bay don't have any holes in them.

TIA

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:22 am

The hose is supposed to connect to an elbow made of sheet metal. The elbow collects warm air that has passed over the cylinders. There is no connection to the heat exchanger.

Many people just bend the hose 90 degrees after it passes through the tin if the sheet metal piece is missing. I fashioned the elbow out of aluminum for my '71 Beetle.
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:01 am

Hiya Bug,

Take a look at the following.............

The elbow you need is listed as #1 in this diagram. #71 is the connecting hose (same size and type as the hose shown in your picture) up to the air cleaner horn and #72 is a rubber seal which sits on the rear engine tin (not shown in this diagram) to seal the engine compartment.

The elbow is bolted in place via two attachment points - one bolts to an exhaust flange , the other to the rear engine tin. The elbow itself has an asbestos jacket.

These elbows are not all that difficult to locate in a VW oriented boneyard. If you do not have such a salvage facility close to you, try online shopping at Way Out Salvage http://www.wayoutsalvage.com/
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

VWBusrepairman
IAC Addict!

Post by VWBusrepairman » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:08 am

Maybe you can see it in this photo- though this is an injected engine- still has the same pipe to provide warm air. Mounts to an exhaust stud.

1968-1979 VW bus sunroof consulting, type IV engine analysis, QA technical work