tire pressure

Beetle, Karmann Ghia, Thing.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

bug boy john
I'm New!

tire pressure

Post by bug boy john » Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:05 pm

should I be going by the manual? 18 front 27 rear!

the manual for my 69 was printed in 1969 for tires built then, the only guide on my 2008 tires are max pressure.

bus71
Addicted!

Post by bus71 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:32 pm

18 front and 27 rear is correct. This ensures that your bug handles properly. Useing max pressures is unsafe. :flower:

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:40 pm

Hiya Bug,

It's important to distinguish between inflation specs for bias ply tires and radials for cars of this era. Bias ply tires were (by far) more common that radials in the USA market during the late sixties and early seventies. Matter of fact, radials were pretty rare with Michelin being just about the only radial option. My dad was a Dunlop sales manager at the time and I can remember him saying that in ten years I wouldn't even be able to find a bias ply tire because radials were going to take over the market. How true.

In any event the specs you quoted are the inflation figures for a 155x15 in 1969. I have a 1970 bug and am running 165x15s. I run mine just a bit higher than recommended, 20 in front and 28 in the rear.
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:53 am

For what it's worth, my '79 bug did come with radial tires originally and VW specified 18 in the front and 29 in the rear. This is what I run with and am very happy with the performance.
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

bug boy john
I'm New!

Post by bug boy john » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:13 pm

thanks guys