Don't you just hate it when...

Beetle, Karmann Ghia, Thing.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Don't you just hate it when...

Post by dtrumbo » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:55 pm

... your (insert any ACVW here, in my case, my bug) lets you know at the most inconvenient time that you've been stupid and deserve to be punished? Yesterday I got a little lesson in "when you know something isn't right, fix it before you drive it".

So here's what happened... the fuel filler neck was seeping a tiny bit of fuel so I ordered a new hose and new seals (the big black rubber band-like things). I unclamp the filler hose and pull it apart only to realize that the tank is mostly full and fuel starts gushing out the filler tube. God I'm a dumbass! So I jam the filler hose back on, clamp everything back down and decide "I'll wait to do this job until after I've used most of this tank of gas". I then notice that a chunk of one of the filler neck seals is laying on the edge of the tank. I then think to myself "Hmmm... I wonder if the rest of it is still around the filler neck or did it possibly fall inside the tank." This is the point where removing the filler neck with the tank full drops to #2 on the charts for stupid things I've done. Our new #1 hit is that I DROVE IT TO WORK knowing there was possibly something bad floating around in my gas tank. Well I ALMOST got to work when my sweet little convertible decided now was a good time for me to learn my lesson. The engine loses power, and after I get it safely on the side of the road it stumbles and then dies, not to be restarted again. It is then that I realize that these little cars do indeed have a sense of humor and no tolerance for negligence. $75.00 to get it towed to work, $50.00 to rent the U-Haul auto transport trailer to haul it back home, learning not to be stupid and not to ignore known issues... priceless.

Tomorrow, after I return the auto transport trailer, I will be draining the tank and removing the little chunk of rubber seal that finally floated down and blocked the tank outlet. I'm confident this is the case since after the tow truck picked it up at a fairly steep angle (and the debris floated away from the tank outlet), the car started right up to drive it on to the transport trailer.

Life is full of little lessons, learning this one could have been a lot worse.

#-o
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Re: Don't you just hate it when...

Post by steve74baywin » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:04 pm

dtrumbo wrote: Life is full of little lessons, learning this one could have been a lot worse.

#-o
Yeah, that ain't too bad dude....Be thankful it wasn't in a bus....

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Re: Don't you just hate it when...

Post by dtrumbo » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:44 pm

steve74baywin wrote:Be thankful it wasn't in a bus....
Ain't that the truth! I have yet to venture "behind the gray wall".
- Dick

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:04 pm

Good editorial!

I had one of those moments when I decided I knew more then the CV joint, installed it, drove around the corner....CRUNCH.....$#%$& thought I wrecked my tranny, new CV's ordered and installed two days before a long trip.

I always remind myself to ere on the side of caution and patience while working on them.

Thanks for sharing the story...too bad it cost you $125 :rolleyes:
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:09 pm

Lawd have mercy I've been there too many times to count...
Hang in there.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Thu May 01, 2008 5:26 am

I just want to add that I also did the tank gush at one point - so don't feel too bad about that. It's quite deceiving how low the level has to be before it's under the filler inlet. That moment of instantaneous panic is actually pretty funny looking back.
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Thu May 01, 2008 7:47 am

sped372 wrote:I just want to add that I also did the tank gush at one point - so don't feel too bad about that. It's quite deceiving how low the level has to be before it's under the filler inlet. That moment of instantaneous panic is actually pretty funny looking back.
So true, I always imagine the Homer Simpson scream occuring when stuff like this happens. AHHH!!
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Thu May 01, 2008 9:27 am

spiffy wrote:
sped372 wrote:I just want to add that I also did the tank gush at one point - so don't feel too bad about that. It's quite deceiving how low the level has to be before it's under the filler inlet. That moment of instantaneous panic is actually pretty funny looking back.
So true, I always imagine the Homer Simpson scream occuring when stuff like this happens. AHHH!!
The one where Marge is careening into the garage and almost hits him? Yes, I did!
- Dick

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Thu May 01, 2008 5:40 pm

Too many incidents. None tank related...yet. (Knock on wood.) I started a tally in my noggin and was quickly overwhelmed with instances. Sheesh. Embarrassing. I had to give up the tally.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Sun May 04, 2008 7:50 pm

The big chunk on the left was the culprit.

All is well now. :flower:
- Dick