You Want How Much? (The Craiglist Beetle Thread)

Beetle, Karmann Ghia, Thing.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

You Want How Much? (The Craiglist Beetle Thread)

Post by LiveonJG » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:31 pm

To start this off:

http://corvallis.craigslist.org/car/579889184.html

A GRAND!?!?!

I'm thinking $250 would be generous.

-John
Keep it acoustic.

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:14 pm

Yeah, I'd be willing to pull it out of his yard for $250. If I'm gonna go all the way to Corvallis and back, that should just about cover my gas, coffee, beer and time.

:blackeye:
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:27 am

Why John, whenever I see an ad like this, I think back to some comedian selling a car for an outrageous price and says "Why, there's gold under that thar paint, lemme get my keys and scratch it off and show you". I forget who did the skit.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:06 am

Hiya All,

Delusional.

Can you imagine what the pan and general undercarriage look like after sitting in the weeds (probably for years). And the inside is in pretty sorry condition, I'd bet.

Y'all are being generous with your $250.
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

Mr Blotto
IAC Addict!

Post by Mr Blotto » Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:50 am

Here is a new mexican beetle for sale on Chicago CL...looks a bit fishy (and illegal)

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/car/598764001.html
1978 Sage Green Westy - 2.0 FI - SOLD WITH 109887 miles :-(

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:49 pm

Holy Cow!

It's Harry! Great avatar.

About the Bug................yeah, I get what you mean about the fishy business with the "years of manufacture" and all, but it's probably OK.

In order to get a brand new Mexican Bug into the US, there were a lot of folks who were taking old pans (with the all-important VIN) down to Mexico. There, a brand new Bug would be stripped off it's pan and rebuilt on the old pan. Due to a quirky loophole in the regs, Customs would allow such a vehicle into the States. It is considered to be the older year model because of the pan. In this case then, the 1996 Bug is considered to be a 1973.

Of course this does not abide by the intent of the regulations, but it was a legal way to import post-1980 Bugs into the country.
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

tristessa

Post by tristessa » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:52 pm

Bookwus wrote:Of course this does not abide by the intent of the regulations, but it was a legal way to import post-1980 Bugs into the country.
It works because of the unique construction of the Beetle, with the body "only" bolted to the pan. The pan (actually, you'd only really need the tunnel and framehorns) has the VIN, and legally is the part considered to be the "vehicle" because of it. Everything else is classified as "parts".

May not be the *intent* of the regulations, but changing it would take rewriting sections of vehicle codes and regulations at both the state and federal levels .. ain't gonna happen, even without the specter of SEMA having an absolute fit if it were attempted.

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:43 pm

Hiya Hal,

Don't know about you, but personally, I would have taken some satisfaction in tweaking the nose of authority by making a 73 out of a 96. Well, if I had had the money to it anyway.
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:31 am

"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:46 pm

Yup! Since '69 (except for autostick which had it in '68 ). This according to Rob & Dave's Aircooled Pages. I can tell you from personal experience that my '79 Super has IRS.
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:50 pm

dtrumbo wrote:Yup! Since '69 (except for autostick which had it in '68 ). This according to Rob & Dave's Aircooled Pages. I can tell you from personal experience that my '79 Super has IRS.
Gotta love IRS.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:25 am

Learn something new every day!
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

locoqueso
Addicted!

Post by locoqueso » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:35 pm

66 Volkswagen VW Beetle - Bug~California car~99% original~74k miles! - $4900 (Schaumburg, IL)

I thought this one looked interesting but the wheels gotta go. That must be the other 1%.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/cto/1022854575.html
1978 VW Campmobile (P-21) Westfalia - T2 2.0L F.I.- 151,000m
1982 Mercedes-Benz Estate Wagon (300TD-T) - S123 3.0L T.D. - 142,000m
1993 Dodge Maxi Van (190 SLF) InterVec Falcon - B350 Magnum 5.9L F.I. - 70,000m

tristessa

Post by tristessa » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:35 am

locoqueso wrote:I thought this one looked interesting but the wheels gotta go. That must be the other 1%.
Well, those .. and the air cleaner, the 009, the aluminum degree-wheel pulley, the steering wheel, the über-kewl stainless louvered firewall panels, the EMPI trigger shifter, the absolutely horrific headliner installation, the lowering job, the CD player, teh plastic glovebox...

More (and bigger) pics of the car at http://windy-city-motorsports.ebizautos ... utos&pid=1

locoqueso
Addicted!

Post by locoqueso » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:28 am

Rats! I didn't see all that. Maybe 99% original was just a rough estimate.
1978 VW Campmobile (P-21) Westfalia - T2 2.0L F.I.- 151,000m
1982 Mercedes-Benz Estate Wagon (300TD-T) - S123 3.0L T.D. - 142,000m
1993 Dodge Maxi Van (190 SLF) InterVec Falcon - B350 Magnum 5.9L F.I. - 70,000m