Gretchen wall

Beetle, Karmann Ghia, Thing.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:12 pm

ruckman101 wrote:So far, so good. Going to give Bertha a bit of a rest and run Gretchen this week then up to Amboy for the weekend. Today, tooling about town looking for a couple used tires for the back of Gretchen. When did Sears stop selling their branded tires? That's what's on the back, sidewalls brittle and cracked.

And points. The set Halsey sold me are wrong for the distributor. So far another beautiful broken winter day encouraging daffodils and the like to come forth.

neal
Do you have pictures of the Bug?
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:50 pm

ruckman101 wrote:All vacuum advance, so I need to reset my timing, or at least check at 3200 rpm.
All vacuum there is NOTHING TO CHECK @ 3,200 RPM! That is a centrifugal advance range check. Vacuum only is 0* engine off, static only. As written in page one of this thread. :pirate:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:23 pm

Here's photos from last September in front of the PO's place.

My Bentley says 0 degrees at idle with the vacuum hose disconnected and plugged.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:05 am

You can spot Bertha in the last picture.

But now, hopefully I have a YouTube link to a short vid of Gretchen pulling into her new CostCo (I'm so ashamed! Those freezers are scary tall.) auto canopy.

I did a rough edit down to under seven minutes of the canopy construct from 26 minutes of time lapse kinda. Six hours to erect the ghetto garage (temporary structure, no building permits needed).

This clip is the teaser.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v891ONmzhAI

And that was before new plugs wires cap rotor condenser and running much smoother now.

neal

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:42 am

ruckman101 wrote:You can spot Bertha in the last picture.

But now, hopefully I have a YouTube link to a short vid of Gretchen pulling into her new CostCo (I'm so ashamed! Those freezers are scary tall.) auto canopy.

I did a rough edit down to under seven minutes of the canopy construct from 26 minutes of time lapse kinda. Six hours to erect the ghetto garage (temporary structure, no building permits needed).

This clip is the teaser.

And that was before new plugs wires cap rotor condenser and running much smoother now.

neal
I watched it Neal, and I apologise for asking for Bug pictures. Ghetto garage, I have to admit they should do the trick for a couple of years at least. I like your video's.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:36 am

ruckman101 wrote:You can spot Bertha in the last picture.

This clip is the teaser.

neal
Nice!!

How are you liking the canopy? I thought that for the money it was pretty darn good quality.

A black Ghia, that's awesome!
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:43 am

ruckman101 wrote:new CostCo (I'm so ashamed! Those freezers are scary tall.)
Don't be too ashamed. Costco isn't "teh evil!!1!!!" like so many other companies are.

But yeah, the stores can be intimidating..

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:52 am

Hiya Neal,

Dunno why, but I found your video mesmerizing. Something just as simple as pulling a car into a garage.....................but.....................the wait for action, the cars going by on the road above, lights on........maybe I'm just easy to please, but I thought it was great.

And Costco is OK. I worked there for a while. The people are very customer oriented and the quality of the products is high. However, my wife was (still is) terrified of "product avalanche".
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:31 pm

Bookwus wrote:Hiya Neal,

Dunno why, but I found your video mesmerizing. Something just as simple as pulling a car into a garage.....................but.....................the wait for action, the cars going by on the road above, lights on........maybe I'm just easy to please, but I thought it was great.
Neal is good, I have critiqued a few of his films. Bertha in the woods was great too.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:33 pm

Oh stop it, you're making me blush. Oh, ok, keep it up. Thanks all. I'll see if I can get the full 8 minutes posted tonight.

And Spiffy, I was pleasantly shocked at the quality of the CostCo product. Certainly am glad I didn't wait for the "better" one from GI Joe's at not that much of a savings. We'll see how long the front zipper lasts. (And how did I end up with leftover bungies, that'll learn me to count them.) But I can certainly go through quite a few of the set-ups before I even get close to the cost of a garage. (Still plotting on that front). Now that Cheryle's carport collapsed, we're going to go for a garage to replace it, so the urgency isn't as urgent now.

New tires for Gretchen tomorrow. Shopping for used I noticed the tread is cracking on what I thought were the good tires. $300 mounted, balanced, stems from Ashley, go figure.

neal

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:28 pm

Oops, Cheryle has ideas for the vid, so won't be posting the entire piece until Wednesday evening.

neal

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:42 pm

ruckman101 wrote:Oh stop it, you're making me blush. Oh, ok, keep it up. Thanks all. I'll see if I can get the full 8 minutes posted tonight.

And Spiffy, I was pleasantly shocked at the quality of the CostCo product. Certainly am glad I didn't wait for the "better" one from GI Joe's at not that much of a savings. We'll see how long the front zipper lasts. (And how did I end up with leftover bungies, that'll learn me to count them.) But I can certainly go through quite a few of the set-ups before I even get close to the cost of a garage. (Still plotting on that front). Now that Cheryle's carport collapsed, we're going to go for a garage to replace it, so the urgency isn't as urgent now.

New tires for Gretchen tomorrow. Shopping for used I noticed the tread is cracking on what I thought were the good tires. $300 mounted, balanced, stems from Ashley, go figure.

neal
Awesome, I hope it keeps one of yer VW's out of the elements like ours does.

(they take turns....outside tha canopy=dunce chair for when they act up)
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:26 am

She was taking on water Jim!

Been daily driving her since Monday, windows always cracked during this fantastic respite from rain and she's starting to dry out. Poor thing seems element baked judging by the brittle little wiper blades.

It has been a blast. More comments from the peanut gallery than Bertha generates. Funny, too. Surprising how many folks are surprised it's a VW.

Of course my frenetic mind already is sweating great failures. (What the hell is that thrumming howl?)

New tires tomorrow, I got the new wiper blades today, see how she runs timed correctly Sunday morn, then after work, a bit of road trip, the hour drive to Cheryle's. We get freeway (wide and straight), state highway (still wide and straight, but single lane), county highway (narrow, not bad, but some hills and tight corners), extreme climb and curve on the tail end (truly twisty and climbing, mandatory second gear in the bus on stretches} and a lengthy gravel drive (basically single lane, watch for oncoming traffic, folks and critters). I bet the snow is still thick at 1300 feet.

A worthy little test run.

neal

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:30 am

ruckman101 wrote:New tires tomorrow, I got the new wiper blades today, see how she runs timed correctly Sunday morn, then after work, a bit of road trip, the hour drive to Cheryle's. We get freeway (wide and straight), state highway (still wide and straight, but single lane), county highway (narrow, not bad, but some hills and tight corners), extreme climb and curve on the tail end (truly twisty and climbing, mandatory second gear in the bus on stretches} and a lengthy gravel drive (basically single lane, watch for oncoming traffic, folks and critters). I bet the snow is still thick at 1300 feet.

A worthy little test run.

neal
Take some video of that Neal! Gretchen Ghia gliding gracefully.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:28 pm

Giving Gretchen a bit of a road trip. Set timing to zero degrees at idle with vacuum hose off and plugged. Disconnecting vac hose and plugging seemed to have no effect on idle speed. Idling at about 800 rpm.

Haven't checked mileage yet.

neal