Trunk operation

Beetle, Karmann Ghia, Thing.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

jeromeaircooled
Getting Hooked!

Trunk operation

Post by jeromeaircooled » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:04 pm

No I'm not asking how to do it. I have to stick something in my glove box to hold the latch down in order to get into my trunk open. What is the deal?
71 Westfalia with a 1600 dual port engine
74 Standard Beetle with the same
72 FI squareback
Keg of IPA in the fridge

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:05 pm

Join the club!!! The spring in latch pin mechanism on the back of the hood is supposed to pop the pin clear of the latch, but mine doesn't do it either.

I usually hold the release lever with one hand and work the fingers of my other hand between the hood and the body to lift it free a bit. Crude, but effective...
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:02 am

Hiya jer,

Hmmmm....sounds like time to remove the spring plunger catch assembly from the hood and either 1. give it a good cleaning and lubing, or 2. replace the assembly.

You might also want to give the catch assembly in the body a good cleaning and lube while you're at it.

That ought to make the Bug smile.
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

robgoudy

Post by robgoudy » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:01 am

You also may want to check the hoods alignment and/or note if it is sprung (ie. twisted). My hood has a little twist to it and would only open like yours but when I removed and reinstalled it after painting it, I adjusted it at the hinges and now it works much more smoothly.

Robert.

jeromeaircooled
Getting Hooked!

Post by jeromeaircooled » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:43 am

I'll be after this tonight. Thanks y'all!
71 Westfalia with a 1600 dual port engine
74 Standard Beetle with the same
72 FI squareback
Keg of IPA in the fridge

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:02 pm

I took a look at my latch tonight and found that the pin was not hitting the hole squarely. By loosening the nut on the back of the pin, I could slide it backward and forward to adjust it! I got it better aligned and it works perfectly now! There is a nice "click" when I pull the release lever and the hood opens every time.

Sheesh, I've been living with this annoyance for 17 years!!!

Thanks for the nudge, guys!!!
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen