Replacing Heater cable

Beetle, Karmann Ghia, Thing.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

RustyBug
I'm New!

Replacing Heater cable

Post by RustyBug » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:06 am

Has anyone else replaced the cable that goes from heater lever to heater boxes?
I went to get some warm air to defrost my windshield the other day and I heard a snap from the back when I pulled up on the lever.
I checked it out and the connection from the heater box lever snapped off. The cable is in sort of rough shape so I thought I would just replace it.
I haven't taken a close look at what is entailed to replace the cable, but I figured I would ask others if they have any advice (other than wiring the heater box so it stays open/closed).

My Car: 1969 Beetle

Thanks

-Billy

jeromeaircooled
Getting Hooked!

Post by jeromeaircooled » Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:22 pm

Defrost your windshield! That seems so distant. It's well over 100 here and lows haven't been below 70 for months.

I haven't done this yet, but I think the cable just runs through a tube. I would lube it up with grease before installing.
71 Westfalia with a 1600 dual port engine
74 Standard Beetle with the same
72 FI squareback
Keg of IPA in the fridge

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:31 pm

Hiya Billy,

You don't specifically say what broke on the connection to the heat exchanger, so do know this................. The actual connection between the heat exchanger and the cable is available as a kit. When you mosey on down to your FLAPS to get a heater cable, be sure to also ask for connection kit.
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

RustyBug
I'm New!

Thanks

Post by RustyBug » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:16 am

Thanks for the replies.
I ordered a couple of heater lever kits (Right and Left side) and a cable from aircooled.net to replace the ones I have.

The end of the heater cable that connects to the barrel nut on the lever kit broke off about an 1 1/2" off the end.

I"m going to do an engine replacement in the next week or so, I thought I would take care of it then.

Thanks for the tips guys.

-Billy

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:06 pm

You know, I'm getting real serious about replacing mine. I've been doing the twice annual under the bus crawl to wire them open in the fall and spring when I can't take it anymore, and wiring them closed, and releasing them. Ah amenities.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.