After 6 years of neglect, my beetle lives again!!!

Beetle, Karmann Ghia, Thing.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

jeromeaircooled
Getting Hooked!

After 6 years of neglect, my beetle lives again!!!

Post by jeromeaircooled » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:25 pm

My beetle was given to me about 1 year ago. It was complete over all but had been sitting for 6 years. After rewiring and some relatively minor work on the engine I fired it up for the first time. I am a little confused which forum to post this to (the brakes forum or this one) and this one is really dead so I'll do my part to liven it up.

After getting the engine started I thought I would bleed the brakes to make sure we were good on that front before trying to move the car. The rear brakes bled fine, but the front passenger brake would not bleed out fluid at all. I also couldn't get the drum off to examine whether or not the cylinder is bad.

For some reason I seem to recall that brakes will bleed with bad cylinders. Am I remembering right? The reason why I ask is that if I am certain that brake lines are the problem I will go ahead and order new stainless ones. If not I can get cylinders at the local VW shop. Thanks in advance.

Oh, FYI the emergency brake is working fine, so I know I have some brake action going on.
71 Westfalia with a 1600 dual port engine
74 Standard Beetle with the same
72 FI squareback
Keg of IPA in the fridge

jeromeaircooled
Getting Hooked!

Post by jeromeaircooled » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:48 pm

Also, Any tips on getting the front drums off?
72 FI squareback
Keg of IPA in the fridge

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:39 pm

Hiya jer,

I don't know of much that is harder on a car's component systems than just sitting for an extended amount of time. No telling what could be going on in the brakes after all those years.

Were this my car I'd begin by taking the entire braking system apart and examining every last part. This is the most critical system on the vehicle and I'd want it to be spot-on perfect.

You don't mention if the front driver's side bleeds, so I'm assuming that it's the passenger side front only. That being the case, I'd suspect the rubber brake line. These things swell on the inside when old and cut off the supply of fluid.

And getting off the front drums...........are they frozen? As in, won't turn at all?
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

jeromeaircooled
Getting Hooked!

Post by jeromeaircooled » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:10 am

Ding ding ding!!! You win the prize Bookwus. :cheers: (I feel rude calling anyone that). I've just spent two hours combing through every part on just the front passenger side brake. Here's what I've found.

I have fluid, albeit very dirty fluid, coming from the steal line when I disconnnected the rubber line. Nothing from the rubber line when connected. It is also full of crud that looks like rust. I'm going to just go ahead and replace all steal lines as well as replace the rubber lines with stainless ones. I live in the mountains and have no desire to screw around with my brakes.

My master cylinder is pumping fluid out so I think it is probably ok.

The cylinder seems to be ok. No evidence of leaks, no tears etc. Because I could not get this thing to bleed I will examine this again after fixing the lines.

Also, it looks like the rubber boot attached to the pedal and I believe to the booster is rippped. Is this just some kind of body seal or is it something I need to replace now?

BTW, I am more familiar with bus front disc that bug front drums. Is the only way to get the front drums off by removing the dust cap, clamp nut and outer bearing? It seem like this is the case but I wanted to confirm.
72 FI squareback
Keg of IPA in the fridge

jeromeaircooled
Getting Hooked!

Post by jeromeaircooled » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:14 am

Ding ding ding!!! You win the prize Bookwus. :cheers: (I feel rude calling anyone that). I've just spent two hours combing through every part on just the front passenger side brake. Here's what I've found.

I have fluid, albeit very dirty fluid, coming from the steal line when I disconnnected the rubber line. Nothing from the rubber line when connected. It is also full of crud that looks like rust. I'm going to just go ahead and replace all steal lines as well as replace the rubber lines with stainless ones. I live in the mountains and have no desire to screw around with my brakes.

The cylinder seems to be ok. No evidence of leaks, no tears etc. Because I could not get this thing to bleed I will examine this again after fixing the lines.

The drums and shoes look to have about 5000 miles left on them, so I will go ahead and roll them until they are completely gone. Unlike my bus drums when I first opened them up, all the other hardware is in good shape.

Also, it looks like the rubber boot attached to the pedal and I believe to the booster is rippped. Is this just some kind of body seal or is it something I need to replace now?

BTW, I am more familiar with bus front disc that bug front drums. Is the only way to get the front drums off by removing the dust cap, clamp nut and outer bearing? It seem like this is the case but I wanted to confirm.
72 FI squareback
Keg of IPA in the fridge

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:40 am

Hiya jer,
jeromeaircooled wrote:Ding ding ding!!! You win the prize Bookwus. :cheers: (I feel rude calling anyone that).
Ha! Bookwus is actually taken from the Kwakwala (NW Coast First Peoples) language. Means King of the Ghosts. He lived at the treeline and kidnapped those who wandered into the area. Bookwus was, in effect, the Kwakwala boogeyman. I really liked the culture after spending time with tribal members and since I was a teacher I figured the book part of Bookwus was a good fit also.
I have fluid, albeit very dirty fluid, coming from the steal line when I disconnnected the rubber line. Nothing from the rubber line when connected. It is also full of crud that looks like rust.
Yeah. One has to careful with brake fluid. It's hygroscopic which means that it will actually attract moisture. Since you are seeing rust and other contaminants in that line, I'd guess that you may well have leak/opening in that area. Flush out the entire system and replace with Dot 3.
I'm going to just go ahead and replace all steal lines as well as replace the rubber lines with stainless ones. I live in the mountains and have no desire to screw around with my brakes.
Amen to that!
Probably? Better to be safe than sorry and master cylinders for Beetles are not that expensive.
By this time, you probably know what I'd recommend here. And be careful with the bleeding screw. They can break off - been there, done that.
Booster? There is no booster on a bug braking system. I think you're referring to the boot for the master cylinder plunger rod. Buy a new master cylinder (a good idea - see above!) and you get a new seal for nothing! Wow! Whattadeal.
Yep, that's how it comes off. When I'm doing bearings I usually leave the wheel attached to the drum, undo the cap. I take off the clamp nut and the washer and remove the outer bearings. I then replace the clampnut and washer. Then I pull the wheel/drum assembly off. In the process the clamp nut and washer will catch and pull out the inner bearings and seal very neatly.
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

jeromeaircooled
Getting Hooked!

Post by jeromeaircooled » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:54 am

Probably? Better to be safe than sorry and master cylinders for Beetles are not that expensive.
Yeah, although I don't want to replace things I dont have to. I'm going to test the system out with new lines before I replace other things. Same for the wheel cylinders. The two that I have looked at have no evidence of leaking and the rubber is suprisingly soft with no cracks whatsoever. I have a feeling these were replaced right before the car was parked.
Booster? There is no booster on a bug braking system. I think you're referring to the boot for the master cylinder plunger rod. Buy a new master cylinder (a good idea - see above!) and you get a new seal for nothing! Wow! Whattadeal.
Oops I keep forgetting about the booster.

After replacing the lines I am going to try the brakes out at a large parkign lot in town that is the only place that is flat. Then I'll inspect system for leaks in other areas. I'm trying to get this car running on a shoe string budget.

[/quote]
72 FI squareback
Keg of IPA in the fridge

jeromeaircooled
Getting Hooked!

Post by jeromeaircooled » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:56 am

Yeah, although I don't want to replace things I dont have to. I'm going to test the system out with new lines before I replace other things. Same for the wheel cylinders. The two that I have looked at have no evidence of leaking and the rubber is suprisingly soft with no cracks whatsoever. I have a feeling these were replaced right before the car was parked.
Oops I keep forgetting about the booster.

After replacing the lines I am going to try the brakes out at a large parkign lot in town that is the only place that is flat. Then I'll inspect system for leaks in other areas. any issues will obviuosly be fixed before driving the car anywhere else. I'm trying to get this car running on a shoe string budget.
72 FI squareback
Keg of IPA in the fridge