Best year for a ghia?

Beetle, Karmann Ghia, Thing.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Best year for a ghia?

Post by ruckman101 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:29 am

I know many folks cite the '71 bay as an ideal, what's an optimum year for the Ghia? 1969? Little Suzuki SuzyQ is on her last gasp, and I find myself seriously in the market. Any and all opinions sought and welcome, including warnings, concerns, and all foibles.

thanks,

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:01 am

I don't have a ghia, but have also been interested in getting one... thought this article (and referencing pages) was interesting.

http://www.type-14.com/buyers_guide.htm
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:22 am

Beetles are far cheeper for the same guts. Just something to consider.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:35 pm

True, a beetle would be cheaper, but, a beetle isn't a ghia. Got all excited about one, but - auto-stick?!?! Doh, I don't know about that. An easy conversion to manual?

neal

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:25 pm

Hiya Neal,

Hey now! The AutoStick is a very reliable and hardy beast when properly maintained. Were I in the market for a KG, I certainly would not dismiss an AutoStick out of hand.

But on to your question..............conversion to a manual transmission is a procedure which has been done many times. All of the write-up on this conversion (that I have seen) have to do with Bugs. But the procedure should be basically the same in a KG. However, there is one conditional downfall............

You'll want the the pan to have a clutch tube. In Bugs the later the pan, the better your odds of finding a clutch tube. Seems that VW built pans dedicated (no clutch tube) to AutoSticks in 1968. But this did not make for a harmonious production line and as the years went by VW found that it was a lot more expedient to just build AS equipped cars on regular pans. I'm not sure if this is true of KGs also. In any event, if your heart is set on conversion, be sure that you do have a clutch tube.

Otherwise you are facing the welding in of a clutch tube, a job that will either require some skill and equipment or deep pockets. Some may suggest the use of a hydraulic clutch (a la dune buggy) and that can work also.
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

'55 Ragtop
Getting Hooked!

Post by '55 Ragtop » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:34 am

'68 or '69 would be a good ghia year to choose from. They still have the full chrome bumpers, smaller style tailights, but are 12 volt and IRS (if that's what you want).
Always looking for one more...

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:30 am

With a Karmann Ghia, you definitely want to front-load your investment to cover as nice of a body as you can find. They are extremely difficult to bring back to Karmann Coachwork standards.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:49 pm

Thanks all. Yes, I was leaning to older, nostalgic for my '62 I had as a young buck I guess.

I'm finding running ghias a bit out of my price range, and I don't need a project, I still have Betty Baja to put together. So, have my eye on a pretty sweet '70 I was referred to that is in the price range and in decent if not actually pretty good shape. Tristessa has already done a lion's share of work on it and vouches for the car's integrity. So it looks like Bertha and Betty may have a sister soon, embrace the fat.

We're lined up to test drive it Wednesday morning, September 5.

Black with red rims. A respectable rat-ride.

neal

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:35 pm

Hiya neal,

Ok............forgive this next question...............but it's not clear to me.

The "'70" you are referring to, is this a Bug, a Ghia, a Type 3? Sorry, I'm not clear on this point.
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:35 pm

I'm sorry, this is a Karmann Ghia. Test driving tomorrow.

neal

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:44 am

Hiya neal,

And.......assuming that this Ghia is the AutoStick you referred to, I'd be interested in your response and reaction to the AS.
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:50 pm

This one is a standard transmission. We looked at a different ghia earlier that was an auto-stick, and gave it a quick drive. It was in nice shape with documentation of it's entire history. A '69 I believe. It would take some getting use to, I had a habit of touching the shift lever and that would take it out of gear. But otherwise, especially around town, I can see the attraction. Of course it is slower off the line than a standard but runs up really nicely once the rpms picked up. It was kind of slick, actually.

Hemming and hawing, debating, and then the next week we passed it on MLK and the young couple who had bought it. I was warming up to the idea.

Alas, no test drive of the current one today. A note in the window because he wasn't able to get hold of us. It wouldn't start. The note stated he was going to try to get Tristessa to look at it Thursday/Friday. He thought maybe the accelerator cable had broken. Peeked, but didn't check that the pedal was pulling the carb arm. The cable was attached at both ends, but there was no gas in the filter. I suspect the pump just needed time to get some gas to the carb as it has been sitting for a spell.

neal

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:50 am

Drove it today. I was right. Met with Tristessa, dribbled some gas into the carb, giving the fuel pump a chance to catch up and she caught and ran nicely, idling like a banshee. Yes, plenty of "character", but minor flaws I chalk up to a driver who doesn't work on his cars only runs them compounded by no prior VW ownership. Probably start negotiating a price tomorrow.

neal

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:00 am

Hiya neal,

Got a picture of the beast?
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:51 am

Not yet. Left a message expressing interest yesterday, but no reply yet. Suggested Sunday morning to give my sweety a chance to drive it, and asked what he might want for it.

Fingers crossed.

neal