Parts Prices

Beetle, Karmann Ghia, Thing.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Parts Prices

Post by Bookwus » Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:41 am

Hiya All,

So, we were talking about the problem finding some parts for an AutoStick equipped Bug. A few parts have become scarce and, conforming to the old law of supply and demand, the prices have gone up. That being the case, this vacuum advance unit must be the last one left in the universe...........take a look

http://www.evwparts.com/Merchant2/merch ... gory_Code=
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Parts Prices

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:38 am

Bookwus wrote:So, we were talking about the problem finding some parts for an AutoStick equipped Bug. A few parts have become scarce and, conforming to the old law of supply and demand, the prices have gone up. That being the case, this vacuum advance unit must be the last one left in the universe...........take a look
Looks good, I'll take two :flower:

You can make do with any dual advance unit you find. There is NO special thang going on inside of them. If they hold vacuum, you stick them on. It is the carburetor/throttle body orifice that determines the advance points. Some have more/less travel as determined by the stops on the arm, but you can modify them as necessary.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:39 pm

You know, you really gotta admire Colin. Always teaching.

I was in education for thirty years and we had a concept we called "the teachable moment". For Colin, any moment seems to be the teachable moment.

Thanks Colin for more shared wisdom..............but in truth..............I wasn't gonna buy that vacuum can. On the other hand, I guess I could have swung a bank loan.
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:03 am

One of these days I will brave the tool I bought some years ago to measure said vacuum pressures here and there.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:02 pm

Bookwus wrote:but in truth..............I wasn't gonna buy that vacuum can. On the other hand, I guess I could have swung a bank loan.
Well heck, Mike, I wuz gonna buy two and flip one
for $2,265.47 "comes with a special coat of clearcoat engine enamel"
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:54 pm

Hiya Colin,

Hey! Gotta a quick technical question for you.............

When you drove the Bug I was running a 30/31 on its dual port engine. I have since changed it over to a 34PICT3. A Bocar, but it's still a 34PICT3. I'm planning on rebuilding a Solex, but that's another thread.

Anyway, I need to set the timing on this beast. I'm running an aicooled.net SVDA. So, I'm thinking I need to disconnect the vacuum and time it to 7.5 BTDC. I believe (IIRC) that's the timing mark specified for this SVDA. That sound like the right track to you?
I have cancer.

It does not have me.