Wiring Harness/Alternator Question

Beetle, Karmann Ghia, Thing.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

jeromeaircooled
Getting Hooked!

Wiring Harness/Alternator Question

Post by jeromeaircooled » Wed May 30, 2007 12:31 pm

OK I posted this on the Samba but I like this group better and I don't seem to be getting a response over there so I'll give it a shot.

I am rewiring my 74 bug right now. When purchasing a harness I had the choice between one made for a generator and one for an internally regulated alternator. My car has the externally regulated alternator (I actually have two of these, one off of an otherwise dead engine). I chose the harness for the internally regulated alternator knowing that if the current alternator(s) die I would have the correct harness to go to the internally regulated alternator. Now I am wondering if I'm going to have to butcher the wiring in my brand new harness to make this work. If so I would rather just buy a new alternator. That said, I'd like to save a little dough if possible and use the old ones until they die. So...

How much (if any) cutting is involved to keep my current alternator untilli it dies or do you all think I should just go ahead and sport for the internally regulated alternator now?
71 Westfalia with a 1600 dual port engine
74 Standard Beetle with the same
72 FI squareback
Keg of IPA in the fridge

jeromeaircooled
Getting Hooked!

Post by jeromeaircooled » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:34 pm

Wow, just four reads in over two days. Come on y'all! Laid back forums aren't just for buses are they?
71 Westfalia with a 1600 dual port engine
74 Standard Beetle with the same
72 FI squareback
Keg of IPA in the fridge

77_Bus_Girl
100th MEMBER!!!

Post by 77_Bus_Girl » Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:16 pm

I'd post a reply, but I don't even know what the difference beween an externally regulated alternator and an internal one is! :drunken:

So I'm not of much help.
Love your bus.

77 Westy

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:22 pm

Go for the internally regulated alternator. I'd be loathe to cut into a brand-new harness, and you should be too. :D

Check around with local VW repair shops if you've got any, should be able to find a decent used one without spending much -- that's what I did when I went to 12V on my '65 years ago .. think I paid something like $80 for teh alt & a used stand.
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!