Buggin

Beetle, Karmann Ghia, Thing.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Buggin

Post by Sylvester » Tue May 29, 2007 7:23 pm

Gads you all need to get more Bugs or chat more. Don't make me go buy one just to liven this side of the site up.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Tue May 29, 2007 8:06 pm

Quit whinin' and go buy a Bug...then post pictures so that I can live vicariously through you. :geek:

Rob

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Wed May 30, 2007 8:22 am

I've noticed that beetle people just don't seem to have the same comradarie as bus folks...weird.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Wed May 30, 2007 12:01 pm

Hippie wrote:Quit whinin' and go buy a Bug...then post pictures so that I can live vicariously through you. :geek:

Rob
Should one drop in my lap and I find a place to keep it, I may. I have owned 3. Miss the 64.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Wed May 30, 2007 12:57 pm

hambone wrote:I've noticed that beetle people just don't seem to have the same comradarie as bus folks...weird.
I think that with 10x more Bugs out there, you lose a little of the small group mutual something-or-other.
Anyway, that's my theory and I'm sticking to it.
Sylvester wrote:Should one drop in my lap and I find a place to keep it, I may. I have owned 3. Miss the 64.
You had a '64 too? I miss my '64...but I sold it to a friend so I still get to drive it sometimes. Just couldn't afford to park and properly maintain 2 ACVWs.
I hope one of those once in a lifetime deals fall in your lap. It sounds like you are ready for a Beetle to tinker with.

Rob

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:09 pm

It really is quite fun to have one of each... but alas, the Type 1 section of this board is a bit stagnant...

Here's my driver:

1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:54 am

Here's me playing chauffeur and my '71 Beetle playing limo in June 2006 for my wife's cousin's wedding. Great fun!

Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:41 am

vwlover77 wrote:Here's my '71 Beetle playing limo
That has got to be some kind of excellent summer country lane road car.
I drove a '64 last week, I love the essential VW tossability of their earlier cars. Makes the '64 Rambler with its 22 turns lock-to-lock steering and diffident brakes seem so . . . crude.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:54 pm

^^^ And that one was my old '64!
I still don't regret just keeping the Bus though. I can maintain one ACVW.

Rob

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:58 pm

Hippie wrote:^^^ And that one was my old '64!
I still don't regret just keeping the Bus though. I can maintain one ACVW.
That bus is a fine machine, I bragged it up in the 2007 Itinerary forum.
How is Bill's bus? I enjoyed the Missouri/Iowa interlude before descending into Chicago traffic.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:05 pm

Well thank you. Now that it handles right, thanks to you, it's a real smoothie to drive.

I haven't talked to Bill yet this weekend, but he's feeling positive about it's progress and was really glad you could schedule him in.
He's looking forward to another IAC visit next year when it can be more improvement and maintenance education oriented and not have to reassemble the Bus beforehand like this year. That's all I know so far.

Rob

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:43 pm

Hippie wrote:You had a '64 too? I miss my '64...but I sold it to a friend so I still get to drive it sometimes. Just couldn't afford to park and properly maintain 2 ACVWs.
I hope one of those once in a lifetime deals fall in your lap. It sounds like you are ready for a Beetle to tinker with.
Rob
Let me get the Bus first. One week and a half to go. If I do see a Bug around here for sale I may get it, much later!

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:45 am

Sylvester wrote:Let me get the Bus first.
Always. It's hard to camp in a Bug.

Rob

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:49 am

Camping in one yes, that would be difficult. We've camped with ours though, and that isn't too bad with a tent. People do seem to be a bit more amazed when you stuff all your gear into a bug instead of a bus!
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:18 am

Beetle camping -it certainly can be done.

We use our Bus for a hauler, too. 4 x 8 sheets of plywood or sheetrock fit in it nicely with the Z-Bed folded and tarped. We've done approximately 1500 lbs of bagged gravel at a time, too. Oh, yeah, and a canoe once.
It's out camper and pick-up.

Bus