Buggin

Beetle, Karmann Ghia, Thing.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:17 pm

Hiya All,

I think Hippie has made a really sound point about the Type 1 community. It's very large. Easy to get lost in that group. And easy to feel outtaplace. Seems that many of the Type 1 discussions are dominated by the "I wanna big engine so I can break the sound barrier in 25 ft." crowd. For the more sedate of us, that wears a bit after a while.

Oh! and if you want to own a Type 1 and feel really alone, try owning an AutoStick!
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:26 am

Bookwus wrote:Oh! and if you want to own a Type 1 and feel really alone, try owning an AutoStick!
Autostick owners UNITE!!! (Note my sig line....)
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:52 am

Hiya Don,

Always good to link up with another AutoStick pilot. Not only good but necessary. As each day goes by there are fewer and fewer of us around. If the knowledge of how to keep these beasts operating is to survive, we need to be communicating.

By the way, have you checked in to the Volkswagen Automatic Register? www.vwar.org It's a website focused on the care and feeding of the AutoStick.
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:45 pm

Those autosticks were well-engineered and a damn decent precursor to the some of the latest attempts to half-automate. Good vacuum lines are a good firststep for having a healthy autostick. Anyone have the factory manual for adjusting the clutch engagement rate?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:06 pm

Hiya Colin,

Well, I've got the Bentley procedure for adjusting the clutch. That, IIRC, has been distilled from the VW service manuals. Is that what you're looking for, Colin?

And, yes, those hoses are critical for good performance. Interestingly though, the most common AutoStick complaint (abrupt shift action resulting in a lurch or "thunk" in the tranny) also has to do with a hose - the little 3mm hose from the control valve to the carburetor. The original carburetor for the AutoStick was unique in that it had a vacuum port which drew its vacuum from above the butterfly. In the intervening years many of these carbs have been changed out and vacuum for the AS system drawn from a wrong port. And fixing this situation (even in the worst of circumstance) takes only 30 minutes or less.
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:02 am

That little hose mystifies me. Its port is way up high in the carb barrel, above the throttle plate, so how much vacuum can it actually see?

The replacement Bocar carb I bought had everything cast for that port but no passage drilled through or hose connection insert. I drilled my own hole and swapped the insert from my old carb.

I'm not sure how it does what it does but it appears to be doing it OK, as the shifts are nice and smooth.
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:22 pm

Hiya Don,

That is exactly the "fix" I was referring to in my previous post.
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:21 am

Man, one month with no posts, all your Bugs must be running tip top or something.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

jeromeaircooled
Getting Hooked!

Post by jeromeaircooled » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:38 pm

Mine is a runner after 6 years dead in the P.O. 's yard. My carburetor needs to be rebushed (have to wait a few more weeks to afford it) so it doesn't idle well when warm, but otherwise it runs like a champ. After driving only the bus for several months it sure is a pleasure to be able to climb hills at 55 and turn corners hard (actually really hard if I like).

Now, on to my squareback.
71 Westfalia with a 1600 dual port engine
74 Standard Beetle with the same
72 FI squareback
Keg of IPA in the fridge

robgoudy

Post by robgoudy » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:16 am

I've been busy torturing myself with trying to get this car painted. Well maybe the painting isn't torture but this whole sanding things down first is for the birds. I would be much more at home if I could do bodywork with a wrench.

'55 Ragtop
Getting Hooked!

Post by '55 Ragtop » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:36 am

I have finally gotten the lien papers cleared for my '55 pan. I'll start the assembly this winter: 4 wheeled AirKewld brake system, braided lines, narrowed beam, dropped spindles. It's been a 5 year accumulation for correct body parts, just need to fine tune the G/B 2007cc so it's ready to pop back in next spring!
Always looking for one more...

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:14 am

Well well, there is life over here after all! I believe I am going to start looking for a Buf for daily driving and distances. 60's would be nice since I am familiar with those. Not saying a 70's would baffle me, just not sure if I want the extra's.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:17 am

I think the late 60's early 70's was when VW truly achieved perfection. The end of the Nodhoff years, but before the silliness of the 70s with big lights and vacuum hozes everywhere. Functional simplicity, refined slowly.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

jeromeaircooled
Getting Hooked!

Post by jeromeaircooled » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:48 am

hambone wrote:I think the late 60's early 70's was when VW truly achieved perfection. The end of the Nodhoff years, but before the silliness of the 70s with big lights and vacuum hozes everywhere. Functional simplicity, refined slowly.
Yep, mine currently is a 74 but I'm going to be swapping over to a late 60's/early 70's because of some severe body damage. I think the crazy plastic wiper/signal switch is enough to turn me off from the late bugs. And yes, those taillights are not my favorite either.
71 Westfalia with a 1600 dual port engine
74 Standard Beetle with the same
72 FI squareback
Keg of IPA in the fridge

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:20 am

hambone wrote:I think the late 60's early 70's was when VW truly achieved perfection. The end of the Nodhoff years, but before the silliness of the 70s with big lights and vacuum hozes everywhere. Functional simplicity, refined slowly.
Hear hear! I had a 64, so simple to drive and fix.