Bone Stock Original; Spare Me!

Beetle, Karmann Ghia, Thing.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

VWGirl
Getting Hooked!

Post by VWGirl » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:57 pm

so is it the 70/71 convertibles then with the 4 sets of even louvers? i've only seen maybe half a dozen of the late model vert decklids with 4 even louver sets... and no one seems to know what i am talking about... but i have one so i know they exist

Zooman
I'm New!

Convertible Louvres

Post by Zooman » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:20 pm

Yes, basically Sedans started having louvres in 1970. Convertibles have no under back window vents or louvres, so Convertible engine covers always had louvres. As soon as the Sedan had louvres, the Convertible had more, until 72. SOOOO, all Convertibles with stock engine covers,
From 1970 on up, have 4 sets of louvres.
The book Beetle, by editors of Consumer Guide, (big yellow book) has copies of many VWOA Press photos. Page 102 has a fabulous photo of the rear of a brand new 1970 Beetle for the press, showing the first Sedan engine louvres, side reflectors, bumper reflectors and front side marker signals. There are many other very clear press photos in this book. Always remember, in the US, we got only a Beetle and then a Super Beetle. In Europe, one could buy many variations of basic and up-scale Beetle with different engines, bumpers, louvres, trim, etc.

Again, to clarify, any Convertible 1970 and up has 4 louvres. From 1971 up, all Convertibles were Super-Beetles. 1970 is the last Basic Beetle Convertible... very desireable!
Once in a while you get shown the Light;
In the Strangest of places, if you look at it Right.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:29 am

I am also curious to straighten out my memory of the front turn signals on bugs. '68-'69 were the same, yah? Slightly bigger lens area in 1970, yaah? 1972, they got mo monstrous both in the housing and the side reflector cut-out? Yaaah?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Zooman
I'm New!

Turn Signals

Post by Zooman » Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:08 pm

Greetings! For the USA; 68 and 69 were the same, small, no side reflector... 1970 saw the first massive turn signal with the large side reflector... They remained the same for the duration of Beetle production in the USA, but I have noticed that many folks reverse the right and left signal so the reflector points in toward the hood so that the side pointing outward has a "cleaner" look? OR; maybe they just screwed up? I think it is done for cosmetics, but then the reflector points towards the hood. Remember, this is only for USA spec Beetles and Superbeetles, everywhere else in the world still used the smaller signals, although I have seen Beetles or Kafers with the large USA signals installed. Later on, after USA production began to cease, in Emden, VW introduced front bumper enclosed turn signals, which gave the front fender a really clean look!

Happy Volkswagening!

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:45 pm

Hiya Zooman,

Ummmmm............check me on this one..............but I think I'm correct. I believe there was a change in the front turn signals from 68 to 69. The lens went from clear in 68 to amber in 69.

And this may just be a matter of semantics, but (as I see it) the front turn signals from 70 on had a side light rather than a reflector. And, yes, I've seen them "turned around" quite a bit also. Hmmmm....might be the same folks who left off the reflectors on the rear taillight housing!

And those rear deck vents were in the 1970 model year to allow for easier breathing on the larger 1600 sp installed for the first time that year.

In any event, a very educational thread.
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

Zooman
I'm New!

Yes Indeed!

Post by Zooman » Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:54 am

Hey There Fellow Purist;
A light was indeed in the side of those large turn-signals! You are spot on!
Looking at the side of a Beetle at night, the front had an "Illuminated" side marker, the rear a reflector, probably as per DOT standards. I don't think we saw an illuminated rear side marker till the large tail-lights of 1973. As far as clear versus amber turnsignals, I moved to the Left coast from the Right coast about 26 years ago and am constantly discovering differences in "allowable" features as per local DOT standards. For instance, I had never seen Safari windows on a Splitwindow Bus since any opening windscreen was illegal in most East Coast states, so any Eastern Port of Entry VW could not have an opening windscreen! Clear lensed signals were also illegal in the East, so late 60's and later cars had to have Amber signals. I am not sure of very early cars as I do recall seeing clear "peanut" and earlier lights, but they may not have been East Coast original. I know our 66 Type III came with amber, although I restored a 62 Ghia from California and it had Clear Glass signals. Our 62 purchased on the East Coast had Amber if my memory serves. I do know that in the East, all 68 and 69 Beetles came with Amber. I was impressed the first time I saw a later Beetle with clear signals as it looked so clean. But , Eastern Port of Entry VWs from 1964 on up all had Amber. Earlier, I think as well, but I have to check. I do have a good source and will report my findings!
I LOVE this stuff. We need to have a PURIST CONSULTING SERVICE.
Happy Volkswagening till next time...

Zooman
I'm New!

More Amber or Clear...

Post by Zooman » Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:18 am

So far it appears that any Eastern Port of Entry VW starting in the 1963 Model Year had to have Amber Turn Signals. (Front) NEVER Amber in the Rear until 1973. Eastern Port of Entry was mostly dictated by New York State.
I am still not certain whether earlier VWs in the East had to have Amber lenses, BUT, it is looking like VWs prior to 1963 had a clear lense with an AMBER bulb!!! Another complication to the situation. I am also doing research on this and OTHER differences between East and West new VWs other than price. West Coast VWs were always a slightly higher list price!
Guess the ride from Germany was longer. Any insight into other differences between NEW VWs sold in the West and the DOT or DMV standards would be MOST kindly appreciated. Then we have state dictated criteria vs. national DOT. This could get DICEY! I hear the sounds of that Pre-Heater Timer ticking right now! Those in the VW "know" know what I mean!!! (Our 1973 412 4-Door came STANDARD with one!) What an odd but fabulous VW that was!

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:52 am

Hiya Zooman,

OK.............you forced me to some research instead of attempting recall trivia off the top of my head.

Here's what I found out...........

VW changed from clear to amber lenses in the front turn signals during the middle of the 1964 production year. This occured at chassis number 5852837. VW started this with convertibles and got the amber lenses into sedans before the end of production that year.

Oh, and this you will like.......... it turns out that VW DID install amber and red taillights on US exports in 1962! Then they found out this was illegal in the US so they recalled all such equipped cars and replaced them with the regular all-red lenses.

VW had equipped their German-market cars with the amber/red taillight lenses in 1961. The taillight housing for the 1961 German-market cars was larger than the 1961 housing for US cars. I'm guessing that when VW decided to increase the size of the US taillight housing in 62, they simply specified the amber/red lens not taking the time to check US DOT regs.

All of this information courtesy of Garwood's Car of the Century. Don't have it? Gotta get it! Google their website and check it out.
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

Zooman
I'm New!

Lenses; Fabulous Info...

Post by Zooman » Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:15 pm

Mike;
Thanks for the info! Fascinating! I LOVE the recall info! I have "The Man"
coming to visit me Monday.... My Dad... He was a GI in Germany in 55, and started our families' VW craziness! He purchased a NEW USA spec Beetle at Mahag in early 56 and drove it all over Europe; at least the places he was allowed to go as he was in Military Inteligence. His VW stories are amazing. He has now had over 50 continuous years of VW ownership and has purchased a new VW every 3 years or so. Back in the day, they all came from the family store in New Haven, CT. I will get more insight into VW rare stories and some great new stuff. I recall how many times he had to replace the Wolfsburg Crest on the front hood of his red 62 Beetle, as it was constantly getting stolen. Here's a good early VW service story... He took his 62 in for service at Queensboro Motors in NYC , the company store, and had replaced the gasket in the fuel cap himself as the original had broken. When he picked up the car, the first time he got gas, he found they had replaced his home made replacement gasket with a stock, proper rubber gasket. He had not said a word to them about anything other than "perform the recommended service, please.." Ah the good old days of Volkswagen! I got a million of these stories, and I followed the tradition when I started driving. Thanks for the book recommendation, totally appreciated. I am looking at Dads' old "US Forces in Germany" plates on my wall as I type this... Two sets, one with a metal "USA" oval attached. Thank goodness he was a pack-rat. I have many items from all his and my old VW's which may appear in a book I am considering putting together for us NUTS. Regards, and keep the great facts coming, Steve.

Zooman
I'm New!

A Great Story...

Post by Zooman » Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:37 pm

Greetings all Beetle Folks; I just recalled another old story to share;
My Dad, the GI refered to above, Had hitched a ride in Germany and got picked up by two British Soldiers in their VW. He was seated in the back, sitting in the middle of the seat, becoming slightly panicked at the incredible rate of speed that this Beetle was traveling at. He next noticed that the two-lane road on which they were traveling was soon to turn into a ONE lane bridge! He recalled to me that when he peered at the speedometer as they barreled along, that the needle was up against the back side of the "rest pin" that the speedometer needle rests on at "0" !! A testament to early VW engines? They made it across the bridge, the VW did not blow up, and life continued for the 3 soldiers and the VW they were traveling in! I guess this had to be an oval or split window Beetle, as it was the mid-fifties; and a truly WELL engineered and built VW engine! Ah the good old days of quality VWs!

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:50 pm

Wow.

I feel so neophyte now. My '62 ghia had clear turn signal lenses. That's about all I know.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.