Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Now I've done it

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:22 pm

DurocShark wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:34 pm
Thanks Colin, exactly what I was hoping for. :)

Last week I confirmed the presence of the chromoly pushrods and readjusted the valves to loose zero. The engine is quiet (aside from an exhaust leak that I'll deal with when I put the 1835 in) until it warms up. Then it starts clacking. Sigh. Not horrible, of course, but very noticeable to me.

Besides being an idiot and connecting the remote oil filter lines backwards, it's a strong car. Too strong. The clutch can't handle the torque of that 2180. lol I'm guessing they used the stock clutch. hehehe
Does it slip when you punch the accelerator with your left foot nowhere near the clutch pedal?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:14 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:22 pm

Does it slip when you punch the accelerator with your left foot nowhere near the clutch pedal?
Colin

Yup. First thing I verified. :( And it slips when I punch it when already halfway through that gear. Any gear including fourth. If I stay under half throttle it does ok.

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:15 pm

Of course, the PO could have been abusing that clutch for who knows how long before I got it too.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:25 pm

DurocShark wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:15 pm
Of course, the PO could have been abusing that clutch for who knows how long before I got it too.
If you have a stock clutch disk and a stock pressure plate, an 8mm open-end wrench is allowed to fit over the disk edgewise, but not a 7mm open-end wrench. If the disk is skinny, don't blame the pressure plate, If the disk is still fat, replace the pressure plate, and check that the flywheel was not inadvertently over flycut. (you can save the flywheel with a slight cut at the bolt hole cut-out.
Colin

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:40 pm

I've still got to balance pistons on the 1835 and sort out tin and decide what I'm carrying over from the 2180 and what I'm building up. I'm leaning towards moving the heads and carbs from the 2180. But the carbs are already too rich on the current engine, so I might REALLY be rich on the smaller one. I also have some beautiful NDIX carbs sitting here, but then I'd have to fab up the linkage to the throttle cable. (Tthey're both single carb models... PC10 or something. I got the second one because I liked the intake better and it had an air cleaner and a more complete linkage.)

For the 1835, with its stock sized (but counter weighted) crank, I'll use a stock clutch and plate. The increase in power shouldn't exceed the excellent late 1600 clutch. For the 2180 I'll evaluate what's there and decide if it was abuse or just the wrong parts for the job once I pull it. If I'm cautious, it's working OK for now. But I'm glad it isn't my only car. ;)

SharkDaughter is going to do the balancing. :) She's 14, and the 64 I have in storage will be hers. As will this 1835 eventually. So she needs to participate in all the VW work that happens around here so she'll be comfortable maintaining her own car. :)

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:44 pm

And no, if the case wasn't already cut to 96mm (for 94's or 92mm thick walls) I wouldn't make this an 1835. It would be a straight 1600dp. But the bottom end has been built by Fat with the counter-weighted crank and W110 cam. I have thick wall 92's ready to go, and the heads from the 2180 should move right over.

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:17 am

This little Baja scoots. And this is with the clutch slipping and sliding all over the place.

Yeah, I got pissed at a few people. Self-important assholes really piss me off:

https://youtu.be/XyTJl2XqHmM

tommu
Old School!

Post by tommu » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:53 pm

Baja sounds great and moves!

It's oddly reassuring hearing other people swear at the traffic.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:41 pm

tommu wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:53 pm
Baja sounds great and moves!

It's oddly reassuring hearing other people swear at the traffic.
"Aw stuff it you little twaddle in that dumb yellow bathtub duck right in the middle of the damn intersection what's the matter with you? Get a REAL CAR!"
There.
Colin

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:43 pm

hehehehe

I just placed an order for heads and valvetrain for the 1835 at lowbugget. So this 1835, with its 110 cam, will have 92mm thick wall cylinders, stock valved heads, steel pushrods (that 110 cam...), mild compression (8.0 or lower) and a single NDIX carb. Once I get that all together I'll pull that powerful but leaky 2180 out and put the 1835 in.

Almost certainly less scoot than the 2180. But I can rip into that 2180 and fix all the leaks properly. And put case savers in there to resolve that stripped out stud. I think it has low enough miles that I shouldn't have to do too much more to it, but I'll find out when I get it on the stand.

The 64 is still in my employee's garage waiting for the title. What a pain in the butt. I won't even start on that until I have the title. I'm selling off the 40 horse engine stuff. I went back and forth a bunch. But I realized the case number doesn't match so a true restoration would always be a bit off. And since SharkDaughter doesn't want to go with a factory color, it's kind of pointless. Let someone who wants to go pure stock use it.

A lot of money poured into this stupid 1835 already... $500 to pay the balance at Fat Performance and pick up the short block, $900 for heads, valvetrain, machining, etc. $100-ish for the NDIX and its backup, and two different intakes. I still need to buy an oil pump, alt stand, intake manifolds, a few missing tin pieces, an oil cooler, $150 for a cheap exhaust to just get it rolling, etc etc etc etc. It doesn't ever stop, does it?

tommu
Old School!

Post by tommu » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:57 pm

Be careful with FAT. They are not what they were :( My align bore was ok but their balancing was very far from good.

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:05 am

tommu wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:57 pm
Be careful with FAT. They are not what they were :( My align bore was ok but their balancing was very far from good.
Well, crap. One of the owners of the company I work for swears by them for his race bajas. :( Maybe now that RIMCO bought them that stuff will get better.

This will not be a high rpm engine. With the stock heads and that cam I expect it to fall off a cliff at around 5k. So maybe if there are balance issues, they'll be non-issues.

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:29 am

I just realized you might have thought I meant paying for a balance job at Fat... I paid the balance. The PO of the baja tossed in that engine that he'd already paid everything but $500 to have built. That did include balancing though. ;) Counterweighted crank, new 110 cam and lifters, case machining, assembly, and so on.

The case was cut for 92's not 94's, so I'm having my barrels turned down at the bottom to fit the case. The heads will be cut to fit the thickwall 92mm barrels. I'll pick up the barrels today, measure the deck height, then see how much work the heads need to get that compression down where I want it. I'm hoping to avoid any barrel shims.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:34 am

DurocShark wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:29 am
I just realized you might have thought I meant paying for a balance job at Fat... I paid the balance. The PO of the baja tossed in that engine that he'd already paid everything but $500 to have built. That did include balancing though. ;) Counterweighted crank, new 110 cam and lifters, case machining, assembly, and so on.

The case was cut for 92's not 94's, so I'm having my barrels turned down at the bottom to fit the case. The heads will be cut to fit the thickwall 92mm barrels. I'll pick up the barrels today, measure the deck height, then see how much work the heads need to get that compression down where I want it. I'm hoping to avoid any barrel shims.

Balance issues have "moments" through the rpm range. A bad balance has worse effects at slow engine speeds. I liken it to driving down railroad ties. If you were doing 80 mph, it really wouldn't feel bad. That is 5,000+ rpm. If you were doing 15 mph down the railroad ties, your teeth would shatter. That is between 1,200-1,400 rpm, fortunately below our usual working rpm, but still problematic. A bad engine balance that enters a "moment" at 3,500-4,000 rpm is deadly for longevity.
Colin

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:39 am

Good point. I'm not terribly concerned, but we'll see when I get it running on the bench.